Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember some time ago someone had a picture of the smog headers from Thorley. I am seriously thinking about getting some for my RC but I wanted to take a look at pictures of them before I made a firm decision on if I was going to buy them. Also does anyone know how much they are from Thorley? Thanks!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
How long can you wait...? I've got a set of Thorleys with air pump tubes hanging in my garage, and can post a picture Sunday or Monday. The Tri-Ys like I have are quality low to midrange headers, not that they don't help on the big end, it's just that the greater boost is at trail revs.

They're typically advertised for about 300 $$ new in the polished nickel finish. Hard to find discounted, but maybe can find "ebay" or similar...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that would be great Smokey...take your time with the pics. I'm in no hurry. Thanks a bunch!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
You may be remembering a photo I posted (a couple of?)months (?) ago... But I don't remember much about the title or topic...

Anyway, dodgeman & I are going for a boonie cruise today, but I will get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
if you really fit those headers on your 91 let me know, 'cause I've been looking into them before, but Thorley says, they're only up to 87, since Dodge supposedly changed the frame back then, so the headers, according to Thorley, won't fit on my 88.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already got that covered. They will fit the frame there was no change in the frame. I'm willing to bet that the reason they only go that far is becasue they didn't want to pay the money to get the headers tested to be emissions exempt.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Hah ! finally found the photo... ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang thoes things look sweet. Now just to find the money.....
;D

Thanks Smokey!

Mike

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You got the part number for that set? They'd look sweet on my 88 if I ever get round to it...would like to have the PN for my wishlist

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
UHhhmmmm, no, I don't. Whatever the last Thorley # for 80s Dodges is... that's it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part Number THY-114Y (without smog hook-up)
THY-114Y-S (with smog hook-up)

Mike

·
Registered
897 Posts
Oh my GOD! I have been looking and asking all the muffler shops for a smog legal header setup with no luck - and woola - here they are. I love you guys! (will they work in California?)

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Well technically no they won't cuz like Bose said they never got the CARB cert . for them . But hell all u need is an O2 bung put in and it probably would passs I bet . But I dunno how bad the smog nazi's are out there man it's alot of dough to drop on headers and possibly not be able to use them . But hell u can swap them out for the test but what pain that would be every year .

bt83rc

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The Thorley headers I bought for my 440 say "Smog Legal In All 50 States", and then in small type below " * Some modifications may be required". They also included notes on how to add the air pump stuff.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Did you notice any improvement with the headers? I will be putting them on a 360.

Thanks Homer

·
Registered
537 Posts
OOOHHH tri-Y's sweet!! Anyone have info on these vs. the standard Hooker Comps, torque and HP wise that is. Anyone have Desktop Dyno that can run the two and post the differences???

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Well, If you have the air pump passages, the catalyst, what else do you need,... other than lean enough jetting and idle settings to get by the unburned HC test..?

Don't know about any comparisons to Hookers on our trucks,... the last Hookers I had were the adjustables on a 327... they worked GREAT 2500 to 8K rpm, and you really could feel differences when you changed primary or collector length.

The "press" on the TriYs is that they're good for street/torque applications, but everyone tends to change the whole system at once rather than just the manifolds/headers, so quantifying the contribution of the headers alone is problematical in the real world.

So, who knows for sure ? I don't. But , they're pretty, and they sound nice ;D{smoke} ;D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
good to hear, that they did not change the frame....that was bugging me now for some time....

regarding the smog in CA, correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as I'm informed you need a CARB # for any engine related stuff added. So, strictly, the Thorleys would be illegal on any 88+ Dodge in CA, since they do not have a CARB for those years.
Or, is the CARB independent from the vehicle year and it's just the part, period?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Not sure about that Santak. I was quoting what my Thorley box had printed on it regarding the "50 state" thing. As for my '90 vs. '77, I never checked into it further than asking a smog referee if I could run them on my '77 440. Maybe a call to Thorley themselves is in order... :-\

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
if I call Thorley again, they will probably tell me the same thing as before:

The headers won't fit because Dodge changed the frame in 87, so smog-legal is not an issue for 88 and up....
Thank you, Thorley :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts