Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Truck.  It's a 1978 extended cab, looks to be a short bed, has a 360 2 bbl, and is a 4x4. That's all I know, I am waiting for the seller to get back to me with more info. (trans, hopefully more pics).  Anyone know more about this year truck?  VIN says its a half ton, so I am assuming D44/9.25 for axles.  Would it be a full time or part time 4x4?

I can see myself tearing into this thing in an attempt to lift it and get down to RamJam.  Don't know what the wheelbase is on these things, but I am guessing about the same as a reg cab long bed.  Not ideal, but sure would be fun. ;D

Whatchya think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
1978 would have these options:

front axle dana44 for 1/2 ton, dana44 HD for 3/4 or a dana 60 for 3/4

rear axle is 9.25 for the 1/2 ton and dana 60 for 3/4 ton

gear options were 3.23, 3.55 (most common), 3.90, and 4.10

engine options were: 318 2bbl, a limited number of 318 4bbls, 360 2bbl (not common but could happen) 360 4bbl, 400 2bbl, 400 4bbl, 440 2bbl, and 440 4bbl

tranny options were: TF727 or np435 in 2wd bot h1/2 and 3/4 ton, tf727 and np435 in 4wd both 1/2 and 3/4 ton

transfer case option was a married 203 to the 727, and either a married (not common at all) 203 or a divorced 203 (most common) in the np435

wheelbase was 115 inches on d100, and 133 inches on d2 and 300 for conventional cab

club cab wheelbase was either 133 or 149 inches dependong on short or longbed

tire lug pattern was 5 on 4.5

had either a 24 gallon metal fuel tank, a 35 gallon metal fuel tank (dont argue, i have seen 3 of them, and owned 2 of those 3) and the most common of all was the plastic 35 gallon tank.

standard tire offering in modern numbers would have been a 235/75/15, but a 31x10.5 or a 265/75/15 will bolt right on with no rubbing or problems. and depending on suspension 33's will fit under there without any problems alot of times as well

that is some starting info aaron and is out of my 76 FSM. shoot me a line when you get some pics or whatnot or shoot me the vin and if you can, either a pic of the door tag or the build tag under the hood and we can decipher some other stuff for you.

hope that helps you out my man.

out of most of the idaho people, you picked the wrong side of the state to live in. lol

i beleive hewpd in twin falls is the only one that direction that really has alot of experience with pre-80 models and then revjaybear and myself have quite a bit of experience with them. so shoot me a line on any questions you have man, i can probably answer them for you

eric

ps: what is the guy asking for it if you dont my asking?

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
one thing you might want to check while i am thinking about it, double check that it is indeed a 78.

has the right look and the right grille, but in 77 the marker/blinker lights (the ones right next to the headlights) were clear and in 78 they were amber.

of course they will interchange with each other, but would hate to see you get caught up in a big mess on title paperwork ;)

eric

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an Ebay auction Eric. I didn't want all you guys going after my rig! ;D Linky

There is a BIN price of $1000, I am emailing with the lady selling it privately right now. I asked if she would take $800 cash. Ebay auction has 2-1/2 days left and is at $200 curently.

Truck is a half ton, shortbed. Auto, full time 4x4, 360 2bbl! Sure, I have to find the rare one with a 2 bbl. Thats okay, I can see this truck being my first megasquirt project. ;D

From the site decoder, VIN checks out to a '78 2 bbl 360, 1/2 ton extended cab. :)

I appreciate the info Eric. One thing, is the 203 the heavy POS ervyone is always bitching about, or is that the 205, or 208 (I dont know jack about t-case specifics, can you tell? ;D )

Anyway, I'm trying like mad to get this thing. If I do, I have serious motivation to get it lifted, gets some tires on her, and get down to ramjam!

Aaron

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
aaron in the add it says it is a factory 4bbl, might want ot double check that.

on a side note, if oyu work out something with this lady, let me know an addy, i will be in jerome this weekend and eden is just down the road from there, i could take moms digi cam and maybe get you some better pics and info on it if you like. let you know how it runs and what not, any major stuff i find wrong with it. hell i could combine it with a fishing trip as wilson reservoir is only a few miles from there, give me an excuse to go fish there. ;D

and yes, the 203 is the big heavy honking mofo of a tcase, weighs in at approiximately 175 pounds empty. the 205 case weighs in at a similar weight and the 208 is about 75 pounds. also, depending on what you decide to do, i have almost all of the parts to convert to part time if you decide to or i have a spare 203 case as well.

let me know what you think

eric

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH, BTW.  I had the lady maesure the wheelbase for me so I would know if it would fit on my trailer.  She said it was "11 feet best as I can measure", guess that mean 133 inches, which means shortbed.  Good!  The thing really is not much longer than my '87 reg cab shorty. :)

1/2 ton axles I can live with for now.  I don't beat on stuff too hard, at least not yet.  The only thing that makes me sad is the small bolt pattern.  But it's not the end of the world.  I'll probably be getting some cheap 15 or 16x8" steelies for it.  Listen to me talk like I already own it....;D

PS - Original add says 4 bbl, but look at the added info at the bottom, she corrects herself to say 2 bbl

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
cool. let me know if i need to go look at it for you, or if you end up getting it. who knows it may work out that we can meet up over there when you go to pick it up

eric

208-232-9088

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not heard back from the lady on my offer of $800 cash yet, but if I end up with the truck, through winning the auction or otherwise, I'll definitely be giving you a call Eric.  If we're both going to be in the same neighborhood, I'd love to put a face with the name. ;D

And thanks for the offer to check it out.  The Auction ends at about 2:00 PM Saturday though.  I assume you won't be in Jerome until about then, unless you are heading out Friday???

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
I have not heard back from the lady on my offer of $800 cash yet, but if I end up with the truck, through winning the auction or otherwise, I'll definitely be giving you a call Eric. If we're both going to be in the same neighborhood, I'd love to put a face with the name. ;D

And thanks for the offer to check it out. The Auction ends at about 2:00 PM Saturday though. I assume you won't be in Jerome until about then, unless you are heading out Friday???

-Aaron
going down friday afternoon, so if you miss me at home you can call my 'rents house at 208-324-9286, just ask for me and tell them who it is. i should be down there until sunday afternoon sometime

eric

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool.  Will let ya know one way or the other! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, BTW, if you are watching the auction:Â I am sure it takes an incredible stretch of the imagination to figure out, but I am "slanted_dodgeman" on ebay. ::) ;D

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Haha, i thought that rig looked familiar... I drove through Eden just last weekend and if I'm not mistaken, you can see it from the road...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric, a favor to ask.  Can you look at your FSM and see how long the Positive battery cable is?  The lady said she removed the battery because it was leaking acid, and that the positive cable was shot, so she removed that as well.  So I'll need to bring a battery and a cable if I was this thing to crawl onto a trailer under its own power, which I need it to do, because I do not have a winch, and my come-a-long is too light duty to pull a 5000 l truck up my trailer ramps.

Second, were the ignition and door lock the same key on these models?  Even though she cannot find teh keys, she said they were different, which leads me to believe the ignition cylinder has been replaced in the past. 

She talked to a locks smith and said she could have the ignition key made for about $50, but I think it would be cheaper to just replace the ignition lock cylinder.  So, if the keys are not found, I am likely going to hot-wire it (jumper wire from battery positive to ballast resitor), pull the steering wheel to remove the locking plate so I can steer.

On a positive note, the lady told me what her reserve was on the auction, and said if the auction does not meet that reserve, I can call her (I talked to her last night) and I can have it for the reserve price.....$500.  ;D

She also sent me a couple more pictures of some rusty areas at my request.  The lower driver's bed corner has some superficial rust (at least looks to be), the driver's rear fender is rotted through at the top for abot 1-2".  No biggy there, it will probably be cut off anyway. ;D

Sorry for rambling.  I'm getting excited. ;D  Any info you can give me is much appreciated Eric. 8)

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
ok aaron, my FSM either doesnt give parts numbers or i am blind and cant find them.

so, anyway, here are a pic of the wirng diagrams and parts numbers out of my 82 parts CD. about 99% of all of this should still be accurate for a 78, so the parts numbers should work ok to get you going. doesnt give measurements but should be able to call a dodge dealer and get the info. not sure why this Cd only gives the part number and not the length.

as for the locks and the ignition, i honestly cant remember. i never locked my 76 as the locks were messed up in it. i do remember it had 2 different keys though.

on a side note, i have a couple of old steering columns at mom and dads with the ignition lock cylinders and keys, so if you need one, we can probably hook you up with a good cylinder and keys.

of course, the lady probably didnt say which positive cable was shot. wether it was the battery to start realy or the realy to starter, but i imagine it is the short one to the relay. if you cant find the specified length, you can always do what i do and skip the factory reccomeded 4 gauge cable and swap it out to a 1 or 2 gauge cable that is the right length. i would say anything over 24 inches should work just fine.

i really hope you can pick it up for the $500 would be a pretty good deal.

eric

ps: there is no need to hotwire it. if you have it far enough to pull the cylinder anyway, just replace the wheel at that point in time and use a flathead screwdriver to turn the switch, this will unlock the wheel and start the truck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point about using the screwdriver....that would be a lot easier, and save me a screwdriver by not annealing it arcing it across the starter relay. ;D

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll just go pickup the longest generic positive battery cable I can and a cheap battery at NAPA...again, all this assumes I actually get the truck.  I won't know until about 2:30 PM tomorrow when the auction ends.  If I get it, I'll be headed that way after I can round up the parts, tools, and trailer.  Probably around 4:00 PM, and I figure a 2 hour drive there.  So if I am headed that way, you can probably expect a call from me around 6-7 PM or so, when I have the truck loaded up and am heading back towards Jerome.

I already have way too many plans..a little fender trimming (my new-sawzall is just itchin for some use), shackle flip, 4" lift, and see if I can squeeze 35's under it. ;D

Somehow I get the feeling I am going to have to replace every u-joint and steering component on the thing though.

I am going to attempt to build a rig for RamJam for under $2000, including the purchase price.  ;D

Thanks again Eric. :)

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
ok i am getting ready to head that way as soon as i have my truck and car loaded up. so will be offline for at least the next 4 or 5 hours.

if you want gimme a call on your way east from boise or as you get close to jerome (mom and dad only live about 300 yards from the interstate), and if you want i can go over and help you load it up or whatever is needed to get you going.

as for driving time, depending on where in boise you live, from mom and dads house to the very first boise exit is 109 miles, so the 2 hour estimate is pretty close.

so let me know either way, either on your way by or on your way back, either way i can probably hook you up with a few parts and stuff that might come in handy in your plans.

look forward to hearing from you and meeting you

eric

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look forward to meeting you as well Eric.  I may just take you up on your offer to help load it, I don't know how much help my girlfriend will be or not LOL (hope she's not reading this :eek: ;D )

I'll keep my fingers crossed that its mine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My 75 RC uses only one key.  If you have a door key, a locksmith can rekey the ignition for about 15 bucks.

I purchased all new battery cables for my RC just before I found out I needed to rebuild it.  Still in the NAPA boxes.  If you think it would be the same, I can get you the part numbers.

If you were closer, I would just give you the cable, but you aren't so I won't. :p

By the way, I also have brake hoses, belts and filters, all from NAPA if anybody needs part numbers.

-Richard

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Look forward to meeting you as well Eric. I may just take you up on your offer to help load it, I don't know how much help my girlfriend will be or not LOL (hope she's not reading this :eek: ;D )

I'll keep my fingers crossed that its mine.
if all else fails i have a comealong that is rated at either 7500 or 10,000 cant remember right off the top of my head, just that it is major heavy duty and can also be ran as a 2 pulley snatchblock system to double the pulling power, so one way or another we will get you loaded.

i get the feeling though after the battery and cable are installed it will fire right up, it is after all, a dodge

eric

1 - 20 of 119 Posts