Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the thermostat housing bolt size broke one while making it snug? cant find much info in google other than what i saw on the bolt marking a saying that it was a grade 5.2

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
5/16ths coarse thread , about 1/2 to 5/8ths inch long will do it . grade 5 or better 8...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Why so tight? Trying to stop a leak? Maybe your bolt is bottomed out before it actually clamps the water neck.

My recommendation is to install studs with anti-seize, then nut down the water neck.

The threads for water neck were broken out in mine so I also installed helicoils with red loctite. They are a great repair and are actually stronger than the original threads. Careful with drilling and tapping for repair so you dont break through and end up with water leak.

For studs I used grade 8 bolts, cut off the shank, and cut a notch in end for flat blade screwdriver.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
op didn't say what year his truck is , 5.9 on the head indicates metric , but all older dodges were 5/16 , most of them the bolt hole runs into water jacket , lets long threads rust .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why so tight? Trying to stop a leak? Maybe your bolt is bottomed out before it actually clamps the water neck.

My recommendation is to install studs with anti-seize, then nut down the water neck.

The threads for water neck were broken out in mine so I also installed helicoils with red loctite. They are a great repair and are actually stronger than the original threads. Careful with drilling and tapping for repair so you dont break through and end up with water leak.

For studs I used grade 8 bolts, cut off the shank, and cut a notch in end for flat blade screwdriver.

there was so much rust dust that i fell down and i completely missed to clean the wholes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts