Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this is what I have for fields for entering the data to the database. These are not fields for members to search by, only for inputing data.

Category (engine, drivetrain, etc)
Sub category (if needed, like front axle, rear axle, etc)
Part name
Part number
Part supplier
Begining Year used
End Year used
Vehicle - (truck, RC, Trailduster, etc)
2wd
4wd
Engine
Tranny
Comments

Now, what I am not sure on is the different axel types. Can that be distinquished by what ton the truck is? Need input so lay it on me :)

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i would just list front and rear axles seperate, some guys like you put dana 60s under 85 model trucks even though they were never offered in them. of course most know what they have so wont be hard for them to decifer anyhow, just an idea

jamie

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, parts will be seperated. I forgot to add the category field to the above. I will also add a special comments field.

Remember, this is for submitting the data to the database. Members will not see this stuff.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i think the big thing with the axles is going to differentiating between the different d44's used in the front axle.

for instance, i think the first year of the CAD d44 was 85 but i am sure that not all 85's came with the CAD, i am sure that since it was a year of change that you are going to get some of those that had selectable hubs.

also, i am not as sure on this, but say for instance you had a late model 74(which would be classified as a 75 model year) is it possible that some of these slipped through that werent full time?

not trying to throw a wrench in the works here, just trying to foresee some potential trouble spots.

eric

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
well Int thats the point oi varying part numbers ...... we may need a side bar because some times different parts were used for the same year baised on other options. David

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How about a field for the Parts Supplier. For instance I use all Napa stuff and that is the part #'s I would have.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Sam is there anything a computer illeterate can do to help at this point? .......... other than go back to school and learn somthing .... lmao David

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, once we get the basic layout done (the hardest part) I will start writing up the code to make this all work. Once we get the data input functions working, we will need people to populate the database with the info. That part is easy, it will be just like filling out a form.

Now, we are going to need some dedicated checkers, people that will be able to confirm the data.

I was thinking about implementing a type of submission/confirmation deal, where members can submit info that is held in a temp database, and our volunteers who elect to be the confirmation people will get an email saying a new part number was submitted with a link on it.

They would click the link which will take them to the submitted part's details, where they will look over the info, and be able to change it if it is incorrect. If it is correct they just click an "Add" button, if it is not they just edit it so it is. Once it is officially added it will go into the real database and be available for display.

I think this will help keep things accurate, not to mention keep peckerwoods from submitting false data to discredit the site or screw people up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.