Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Here's the deal. My 89 LE 150 (360 TBI, 4X4) is suffering from a persistent, but intermittent Code 25 when I pull the codes. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, other times, it doesn't. When I pull codes, I always get: 12, 25, 55. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason as to when the check-engine light comes on. Through my research, I see that error code 25 is referred to as the AIS Motor Error Code.

My corrective actions have been...

1) Check for vacuum leaks...I have done this ad-nauseum. I feel confident that my engine is as tight as fort knox, as far as vacuum leaks go.

2) Ensured free, smooth movement of the AIS motor. Should I also take it apart and lubricate the thing???

3) Verified electrical connection from the AIS motor to the logic module. No abnormalities noted. Also cleaned connections with contact cleaner.

Now, when I first bought the vehicle, I had a problem with dreadfully high idle on initial startup. It would race up to around 2500 rpm's or so, and then slowly taper down to about 900 RPM. Taking about 6 turns off the AIS motor adjuster resolved this issue. Could this have anything to do with it? I'm thinking it's not the problem, because the stupid thing was giving the error code 25 in the exact same manner even back then. Changing the idle didn't change the symptoms...I suppose I just answered my own question.

Should I simply replace the AIS motor? Are they expensive? Is there a way to test the motor? I mean, should there be a specific resistance range I should expect to measure between the terminals. I'm assuming these are just stepper motors, so I'm thinking there's a forward contact a common and a reverse contact?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you folks have on this.

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chump said:
Is this what your AIS looks like? There is a rebuild kit available for this one.

Rebuild kit

Argh matey, that one is very similar to mine. Is that a kit obtainable through a Dodge dealer?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If it isn't like that then i would just replace it. My 94 ram has gone through several of them. Generally i start getting funky idle speeds.

·
7,995 Posts
Call around to your local auto parts stores and see what they have to offer. Also check the cost of a new motor vs the cost of the rebuild kit and your expected benefits.:)

NAPA Item#: CRB22193
Price: $ 25.49
Attributes: Idle Speed Control Repair Kit

BORG WARNER EC1405
NAPA/ECHLIN CRB2-2193
NIEHOFF FE-1405

1 - 5 of 5 Posts