Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
In preparation to extract Lorrie Van Haul's OLD Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box, it has been determined that in order to get the Unit off of Lorrie's Right Front Frame Rail, that it will be necessary to remove the Sheet Metal between Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Fenders, above Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Front Bumper. BUT... it has to be taken out in such a manner so as to be able to put it BACK in place AFTER the Steering Conversion is finished.

Some time ago, Lorrie's Radiator had to be extracted, and in order to do it, the Front Bumper had to be removed in order to gain access to the Radiator through the opening afforded by removing Lorrie's Grille. It was at that time that the idea of making the ENTIRE area between the Fenders, and above the Bumper removable was conceived. Then when it became apparent that in order to get the OLD Gemmer Y4D-335 extracted that THAT same section of Lorrie's Front End would have to be removed, the doing of it had two reasons. So we have begun by getting some materials wiith which to do the Caper.

Here is what is planned: Am going to cut the Sheet Metal using an Angle Grinder with a Cutting Wheel. The FIRST cut will be 1/2" to the Right of the Left Diamond Deck Plate Fender. Then will Pop Rivet a 1-1/2" X 1/8" piece of Aluminum Flat Bar over the Cut. The Pop Rivets will attach the Aluminum to the Center Section. Then the SECOND cut will be 1/2" to the Left of the Right Diamond Deck Plate Fender, and it too will have a 1-1/2" X 1/8" piece of Aluminum Flat Bar Pop Riveted to the Center Section. Then will make a THIRD cut across the TOP of the Center Section 1/2" down from where the Plane of the Windshields Sheet Metal begins, and another piece of 1-1/2" X 1/8" Aluminum Flat Bar will be Pop Riveted to the Center Section. This will render the Center Section of Sheet Metal removable, AND replaceable. The Aluminum Flat Bar will keep the now cut Sheet Metal Center Section from falling into the hole left by the cutting of the Sheet Metal.

With that Center Section removed, access to the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box will be facilitated. AND with that Center Section removed, access to the Radiator will be facilitated. Also, with the Radiator removed, access to Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six Engine will be facilitated.

Am attaching JPGs of this work area:

Have already acquired the Aluminum Flat Bar. The supply of Pop Rivets are here on the Shelf. The Angle Grinder and Cutting Wheel are on the Bench, and the Electric Drill to make the Holes for the Pop Rivets are with the Angle Grinder. All that is left to do is brave the Heat, Humidity, and Mosquitoes, and this Caper can proceed.

Will keep you all updated if, when and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Looks like a big project, but I am sure you will get it done taking it a small bite at a time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reed said:
Looks like a big project, but I am sure you will get it done taking it a small bite at a time.
Hey Reed,
Actually, the way it is going to be done (or at least the way it has been imagined), it is just one small part of a MUCH larger Caper. This only involves THREE cuts (two 36" long, and one 43" long) with the Angle Grinder, and Cutting Wheel. Then a bunch Holes drilled, and an equal number of Pop Rivets Installed.

Am heading back out to remove the Port Side Latch.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coosawjack said:
Hey Jack,
"Burns your tummy, don't cha know, chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug!"
JC........I'm here!! ;D
I see that... Isn't this fun?

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coosawjack said:
Yes Sir....lotsa fun and exercise keeping up with you JC!! ;)
Hey Jack,
If I don't do it, it won't get done.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Roger Miller. I remember when that was played on the radio.
Hey Mr. KLQ,
Some time ago too! You into music much? I own the AllisonWonderland Concert Lightshow. Used to work on the Concert Music Tour Circuit from the late 60s till the early 80s with some big name bands. The whole reason for getting Lorrie Van Haul was to carry the Lightshow Equipment.

Had a TV Show inHouston the early 70s called Sensatiation. See here:

http://www.branam.com/video/sensatiation.shtml

Invented a Vusic Instrument called a Crystalume. See attached JPG.

For selections on the Crystalume see here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP8RtOEQGDmgrAzPvrDbUPg/videos?disable_polymer=1

Am also a musician. Listen here:

https://ourstage.com/profile/allisonwonderland/songs

Also have a trilogy on line if you like to read Urban Fantasy Sci Fi. M.E.Lenns is my pen name. See here:

https://melenns0000.wordpress.com/

Can you say Crass Publicity? :)

Anyway, time to feed the felines, and clean up today's clutter, take my meds and head for the couch. Hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
JCAllison said:
Hey Mr. KLQ,
Some time ago too! You into music much?

JC
I'm a huge fan of music.
I discovered the radio in '59 when I was in Kindergarten.
Since then, I've sought out the more unique stations on the airwaves. They're still out there!
I have a pretty decent record collection... starting with 45's I bought with my lunch money. ;D

I will check out your links that you posted when I get some more time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
I'm a huge fan of music. I discovered the radio in '59 when I was in Kindergarten.
Hey Mr. KLQ,
I was 20 years old when YOU were in Kindergarten!
Since then, I've sought out the more unique stations on the airwaves. They're still out there!
Used to work in recording studios in Los Angeles, and was in a number of bands in my youth. Thankfully, those days are over. To be candid, I don't care much about the present day music. HipHop, and POP bear little resemblance to REAL Music.
I have a pretty decent record collection... starting with 45's I bought with my lunch money. ;D
Used to have the same, but EVERYTHING was lost when where I was living in Houston, Texas burned down on January 8, 1981.
I will check out your links that you posted when I get some more time.
All of them are about stuff done earlier in my life. It has been a long, strange existence. Mostly enjoyable. Had I known that life was going to last this long, I'd have probably taken better care.

Where I now live, I have a Sound/Music Recording Studio, and a Light/Vusic Television Studio. Have all of my (now) antique equipment mostly set up, but seldom have the energy to do much with it. Have a number of health/age related issues with which I have been dealing for the past twenty years, and am now mostly involved with the vehicles here. Some of it is related to a second childhood, having been a HotRodder back in the 50s, and early 60s, but MUCH of it is just out of necessity.

I tell people that I'm living on a "Retirement Calendar" which goes: Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, ad infinitum!

Anyway, GOOD MORNING! Take care.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey All,
Ever tried to buy Pop Rivets at a Lowe's or local Hardware store? All they seem to have are these little plastic packets of a dozen or so, for almost $4.00! Ordered a box of 100 from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

After Lorrie's NEW Door Handles are installed, we're going to see if the Front Sheet Metal Caper can proceed. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
JCAllison said:
Hey All,
Ever tried to buy Pop Rivets at a Lowe's or local Hardware store? All they seem to have are these little plastic packets of a dozen or so, for almost $4.00! Ordered a box of 100 from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

After Lorrie's NEW Door Handles are installed, we're going to see if the Front Sheet Metal Caper can proceed. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC
Yep.
Everybody thinks you get the best deal at Lowes or Home Depot.
Most times it isn't.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Yep. Everybody thinks you get the best deal at Lowes or Home Depot. Most times it isn't.
Hey Mr. KLQ,
Not only THAT, but the Lowe's in Livingston, Texas is woefully under-inventoried. When 1/8"X 2" Aluminum Bar Stock was needed, the closest thing they had was 1/8"X 1-1/2" Aluminum Bar Stock. And while THREE pieces of it (TWO 3'-0" long, and ONE 4'-0 long was needed), all they had was TWO pieces 3'-0" for the 1/"X 1-1/2, and the 4'-0" long was but 1-1/4" Wide. AND, that Aluminum Stock was found, after searching in the Aluminum Bin (and finding NONE), in the Steel Bar Stock Bin.

After having to settle for what Aluminum Bar Stock that was available, went on the hunt for Pop Rivets. Lowe's had these teenincy Plastic Packages of a dozen for nearly $4.00. Ended up ordering them from Amazon Prime. Got 100 for $12.00, and they arrived at my door, via UPS, the NEXT DAY!

Another thing that has been noticed is that the people at Lowe's, and the people at AutoZone haven't a clue as to ANYTHING when it comes to Building Supplies, and AutoParts! Their ONLY qualifications for working where they're working is that they know how to operate the Company's Computer System.

I one time went to AutoZone in Livingston, and there was a new lady at the counter. I asked her for a Radiator for a 1967 Volkswagen Karman Ghia, with Blue Seat Belts. And without hesitation, she looked THAT up on her Computer, and informed me that they were "out of stock"! I was just kidding her, but she hadn't any idea that THAT was happening.

BOTH of my vehicles are 60s Decade (one a 1964, and the other a 1967) vehicles. The AutoZone Computer System only goes back to 1980! As a result, am mostly getting Parts off of the Internet.

And one last anecdote: There used to be an Old Tyme Auto Parts Store here in Onalaska, Texas. They had a Parts Catalog section about 12 feet long, and could look up Parts back to antiquity. THAT Parts Store got bought out by NAPA, who installed a Computer System going back to 1980. And to my horror, they took ALL those OLD Parts Catalogs out behind the Store and burned them! They were out of business in less than six months, but they DID have a GREAT selection of Rattle-Can Paint, and Car Care products!

Anyway, today is going to hopefully see Lorrie's NEW Inside Door Handles installed. Will have JPGs.

Hope all is well with YOU.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coosawjack said:
Don't ya just love those "DINGBATS" on parts counters these days?? :-[
Hey Jack,
Good help is hard to find. Still, they are doing the best they can. With a little patience, and a relating to them what is being done, if they stick with what they're doing, eventually they MAY get up to speed.

Anyway, time for meds and bed. See you tomorrow.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, June 18, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Was out early, got the Bolts holding the Front Side Fenders to the Front Bumper (or maybe they're holding the Front Bumper to the Front Side Fenders), either way, those Bolts are OUT, and are waiting with their Nuts in the Front Fender's Bracket for re-installation when the time come.

Put a piece of Carpet UNDER Lorrie's Front Bumper, laid on it, and removed the Bolts that hold it to Lorrie's Front Frame Rails.

Then removed the SEVEN Bolts holding Lorrie's Grille to the Front Sheet Metal, and removed the Grille.

Just as I was finishing up, the Sun broke through a hole in the Shade Trees, and is shining PRECISELY where the work is being done. THAT, along with the Mosquitoes snapping to the fact that Breakfast is working on Lorrie Van Haul chased me inside to the comfort of the Box Fans blowing air gently around, which feels good, especially when one is sweaty, and the air-flow evaporates the sweat, making one feel cool all over.

Am going to have something to eat, and then will go back out and gently pull the Starboard side of the Front Bumper as far as it will go and still be on the Starboard Front Frame Rail. that will make it possible to use the Angle Grinder and the Cutting wheel to make the FIRST cut in the THREE CUT PROGRAM that will make Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal removable.

Will have some JPGs when what is done is done.

ALSO, THERE HAS BEEN A REMARKABLE DEVELOPMENT:

Received a SPAM advertisement on Sunday, June 16. 2019 offering Auto Insurance for $19.00 a month!

My first reaction was: "OH SURE! This has GOT to be too good to be TRUE!" But just to check it out, I responded with my Zip Code, and Phone Number, using my "nom de plume" (that's the name that I use when writing books).

It wasn't more than a few minutes than the Phone Rang... A VERY nice lady named Valerie, explained that she was an "marketer" for a number of Insurance Companies, and that if I would permit it, she would connect me with an Agent who worked for a Big Name Insurance Company.

I consented to the offer just to see what they had to say.

A few minutes passed, while I listened to a rather nice Guitar, playing a rather "catchy" eight bars of music that repeated, over and over.

Then suddenly a very nice young man named Stanley came on the line, and said he was a Agent with the BIG NAME Insurance Company.

He wanted to know the Year, Make, and Model, of my car. I told him it was a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500. I also told him that I had a 1967 Dodge P200 Van.

Stanley inquired if I had had any tickets in the past five years? I had not.

Stanley inquired if I had ever been ticketed or arrested for DUI. I haven't.

Stanley inquired how much driving I did in each vehicle? I told him that they were driven maybe 25 miles a week between the two of them.

Stanley inquired about who all drove the vehicles? I told him I was the ONLY driver.

Stanley inquired about any accidents that were had in the past five years. There have been none.

Since he had the Zip Code here, he KNEW that I was in Onalaska, Texas. He allowed as to how he was in Fort Worth, Texas.

Stanley inquired what amount of insurance I was seeking. I told him that I needed only the Texas Required Minimum.

Actually, the only reason that I need insurance is to have "Proof of Insurance" in order to get Ms. American, and Lorrie Van Haul inspected&licensed.

Stanley asked if I would hold while he did some calculating, and I said I would.

In about five minutes, He came back on the line as said that he could get a year's insurance for BOTH vehicles for $264.00 a YEAR!!! That's $21.00 a MONTH... That's $.70 a day for each. Right now, I am paying $52.00 a month for EACH vehicle, a total of $104.00 a MONTH.

My question for Stanley was: "All right... What's the catch?" He said that "There was no catch."

I proceeded to question Stanley about the Insurance Company, and was given the Name of the Company, which turned out to be a subsidiary of ANOTHER even BIGGER NAME Insurance Company.

I also found out Stanley's Last Name, and his E-Mail Address.

I then told Stanley that I would like to think this over. He was quite accommodating, and made arrangement to call me back at 11:00 a.m. the next day.

I spent the rest of the day researching the Company's by name. I didn't use any link provided by Stanley (he provided none). I went DIRECTLY to the BIG NAME Company's Web Pages as provided by Google. These are NOT "FAKE" Websites. I accessed their Agents at the appropriate locations. And there was Stanley's Name, and Location. They were just as Stanley had said. This was NOT a SCAM.

Then yesterday, promptly at 11:00 a.m., the phone rang. It was Stanley. He wanted to know if I wanted to sign up for insurance with the BIG NAME Insurance Company that employs him.

I had a few more questions. One was: "Are the rates going to change unexpectedly." He said No. I asked if I could be sent the documentation about the policy before I signed up for it? He said "Most Certainly". He would send it shortly. He said read it over, and if it was what was represented, I could purchase the Policy On-Line. All that I would have to do is "electronically sign" in the appropriate places, then on their secure page, give them my Debit Card Number (like I do with eBay, Amazon, and a bunch of other vendors), and I would receive a Policy Number On-Line, plus in two to three days I would receive "Proof of Insurance" documentation in the mail, in the form of Credit Type Cards that would be recorded in the Texas State Data Base that the Inspection Stations, and Registration Offices access to prove that I DO have Insurance.

I could then, if I actually did purchase the policy, E-Mail Stanley, and he would call on the phone to see if there were any questions, or further information desired.

Well, the funds to make the transaction were in the Debit Card Account, to after carefully reading the On-Line Policy, a copy of which will be here in two to three days, along with the Proof of Insurance documents, so I signed up with them. The funds will be deducted from the Debit Card Account when I acknowledge that I have received what they promised to send.

What I am going to do, is when the stuff that they are sending arrives, I will take it to Wayne's Tires (the Local Inspection Station), and see if Toni, who last inspected Lorrie Van Haul, will verify on their computer that I do, indeed, have Insurance.

I will then cancel Ms. American's and Lorrie Van Haul's present insurance and will then stop paying the $104.00 a month premium. Since Stanley's Employer will have the whole year's premium paid in advance, there will be no more monthly deductions.

This is going to be a savings of $984.00 a year for Car Insurance! Not a bad deal at all! And the nice thing about it is that I won't be paying $104.00 a month starting next month. Also, am going to get a refund from the OLD insurance company since I already have a credit with them built up by my having paid the premiums for this year up to July 1, 2019.

So everything seems to be going along nicely.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, June 18, 2019, Noon Update:

Can you say totally skill-less?

Took the Angle Grinder with the Cutting Wheel out to where Lorrie is parked. Stretched out the Extension Cord, and hooked the Angle Grinder to it. Put on the Work Gloves, the Goggles, and ACTUALLY got the Starboard Cut made. BUT the blinkin' Angle Grinder walked all over me. There were SPARKS all over place. Took about THREE attempts at cutting before getting the hang of it.

You don't just turn the Grinder on, and move it like along like you would a SkilSaw, or a SabreSaw. You have to put it on the place where you want to cut, and key the Switch, and push the Cutting Wheel through the Sheet Metal, and then let go of the Switch and the Cutting Wheel comes to a Stop. Then you move it to make the next cut and do the same thing.

Fortunately the places that got messed up (you'll see them in the JPGs) when things got out of hand will not show once the 1/8" X 1-1/2" Aluminum Flat Bar is Pop Riveted in place. But the Edges that were left from cutting are going to have to be dressed down, or they're going to be a source of Cuts&Scrapes when working on Lorrie with the "Hood" removed.

Am taking a bit of a break, and I may go back out and make the Port Cut, OR I may not, because it is just getting too HOT out. Will have to see. There MAY be just enough Energy&Focus left to clean up the Tools.

At any rate, have taken some JPGs of what has been done, to give you an idea of what happens when a dilettante like myself attempts something that I've never done before.

The first TWO JPGs are of the Bracket that holds but Port Side Bumper to the Port Side Fender. One JPG shows it in place and the other JPG shows it up out of the way.

The THIRD JPG shows how the Front Bumper is moved forward to make possible the getting to the last little bit of Sheet Metal right at the BOTTOM of the Cut, shown closer up in the FOURTH JPG, but am still not able to get that last little piece cut. May have to do it with a Hacksaw Blade, or MAYBE a NEW, BIGGER Cutting Wheel will be able to reach it. Will just have to Wait&See.

The rest of the JPGs show the Actual Cuts done on the Starboard Side, and then the lines laid out across the TOP to the Port Side Diamond Deck Plate Fender, and then Down to the Bottom of the Front Sheet Metal.

The next thing to do is to cut that LAST little piece of Sheet Metal on the Starboard Side, then Pop Rivet the Aluminum Flat Bar over the Cut to keep it from falling into the Hole. Then we can make the Next Cut, probably the Port Side Vertical. But who knows? We're flying BLIND in the FOG in which we are ever moving onward.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Yes sir. You need to watch those cut off wheels.
Hey Mr. KLQ,
Was wearing Goggle to keep Sparks from damaging my Glasses, but found that most of the Spark went downward as there is a Guard that goes around about 60% of the Cutting Wheel. No Sparks came up, but they DID hit my Scrubbs.
A very handy tool I use a lot... but they can be dangerous.
Yes.
A good face shield is a must from messing up pretty faces. ;D
And Gloves. Don't forget Gloves.

Am going to be out and about this morning. Will stop by the SAYCO Hardware to see if they have Face Shields. Will let you know how it goes.

All in all, the Cutting of Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal is going pretty well. The initial mess ups will NOT be apparent once the Aluminum Flat Bar is in place. The rest of the Cutting will go MUCH better than the first half of the First Cut did.

About the Aluminum Flat Bar that will be Pop Riveted in place: Am going to carefully drill Holes in it while it is on the Bench, then will fasten it to Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal with just a couple of Rivets, which will hold it in place while the OTHER Holes in the Aluminum Flat Bar can be used as Guides to the drill into Lorrie's Sheet Metal for the rest of the Pop Rivets.

Will be stripping ALL the paint off of the area between Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Fenders, and plan on eventually giving Lorrie a NEW Paint Job using Herculiner Bed Liner.

Between the time that the Paint between the Diamond Deck Plate Fenders is stripped off, and the Herculiner Bed Liner applied, will use Self Etching Primer to keep the Stripped Area from rusting.

It's just going to take a LOT of time, but THAT'S no problem, as there is no Deadline that has to be met.

Anyway, thanks for the Heads-Up.

Noticed that the Weather Guessers are predicting temperatures above 90 degrees today, and tomorrow. Will have to wait and see.

Take care.

JC

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.