Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 17, 2019, Early Evening Update:

Have just finished putting Lorrie Van Haul's Diamond Deck Plate Bumper up on the Operating Table. Used Elmer, the Gantry, and a Tow Chain.

First thing was to get the Operating Table cleaned off.

Then got the Bumper dragged over next to the Operating Table.

Then was just barely able to lift each end high enough to get a piece of 2X4 under it.

Next put the Tow Chain under the Bumper, and hooked it to itself.

Next was to make a preliminary lift to see how well the bumper was balanced. After that was determined, was able to lift the Bumper high enough to get it over the Table.

Next was to move Elmer over the Operating table, and position the Bumper (see JPGs below).

Next was to put 2X4s on the Operating Table, and lower the Bumper onto them (see JPGs below)

Next was to unhook the Tow Chain, and retract Elmer's Hook (see JPGs below).

The Bumper is now at a level where it can be Cleaned, then Stripped using the Wagner Paint Eater.

Once that is done, it can be Painted with Behr Super Gloss Black Paint, and made ready to install.

Have done all that I can do today.

Tomorrow, plan on getting the Turn Signal Wiring sorted out, and get the Turn Signals to working. Am also going to have to disassemble the Port Front Brake in preparation for getting the NEW Duralast Brake Shoes installed when they arrive. We do it nice because we do it THRICE!

Can also pack the Starboard Side Bearings, and install the Inner Bearing, and Seal in the Starboard Drum/Hub.

All in all, things are moving along. Tim's CUSTOM Chromoly Drag Link is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

Weather Guessers are saying light Rain on Friday, then a week of GORGEOUS Texas weather. Like the monkey said when the Train cut off his tail: "It won't be long now!"

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Elmer, the Gantry, has become quite the "able assistant" hasn't he JC........NICE JOB and GLAD ya got the Bumper on your operating table OK!! 8)

GOOD LUCK cleaning it up and painting it!! ;) :)

KOKO.......

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coosawjack said:
Elmer, the Gantry, has become quite the "able assistant" hasn't he JC.
Hey Jack, the strange thing is that it was over ten years ago that I fabricated it in anticipation of having to remove Ms. American's Intake Manifold, which never happened, and Elmer got stowed away TOTALLY unused. And then other stuff got stowed in front of him, and the Cross Beam got put outside and was covered with all kinds of stuff. It was a REAL job getting all the parts out to reassemble them when it was decided that he was going to have to be used to do the Lorrie Front Suspension Caper. But YES... He has come in handy. In fact this wouldn't have gone well without him.
NICE JOB and GLAD ya got the Bumper on your operating table OK!! 8) GOOD LUCK cleaning it up and painting it!! ;) :)KOKO
I was quite amazed and pleased with how well it went.

Well, the Weather Guessers screwed up again, and are stuck with their story, maintaining that it's in the high 30s, when there's HEAVY frost on the lawns, and the thermometer is saying 29 degrees. Fortunately, I forgot to uncover the Philodendron yesterday, so it was still covered this morning. AND last evening, I forgot to shut of the the DeLongi Space heater, and so the electric bill will be up a bit this month, but at least the Computer Room was nice and warm this morning.

Went back to bed after feeding the Felines, and taking my meds this morning at 5:00 a.m. Slept till 7:30 a.m. When I looked out the window, saw Roslimbeo awaiting his breakfast. Did something unusual for him this morning. Put the Cat Chow in a microwave bowl, and heated it for forty-five seconds. It was toasty when it came out. Then put it in his bowl, and put the Canned Cat Food over it, and mixed it. He's enjoying a warm breakfast!

Anyway, it's much to cold to be out still. Won't be warm enough till after Noon. Going to do some stuff here in the house. Want to get some Trash prepared for the Wood Burning Stove. It's probably going to be cold tomorrow morning to. See that you got a 44. Try to stay warm.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 18, 2019, Mid-Afternoon Update:

Was out at around 10:00 a.m.

Since the Operating Table was cleaned off, except for having Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Front Bumper reclining on it, decided that what should be done is to take EVERYTHING out of Lorrie's Cargo Bay, and put it on the Operating Table. Once everything was there, the sorting began. As soon as something became complete, would bring that assortment in and stash it where it was supposed to go.

Have put all the Trash in Paper Bags, and will probably burn it all in the Wood Burning Stove tomorrow morning to heat the House.

The last thing to go was the Craftsman Low Profile Floor Jack (some time back, said it was a Mr. GoodWrench brand, but it isn't), and it got put in Ms. American's Trunk, along with its Handle.

One of the nice things about doing this is that I now know where everything is.

The day has turned out to be WONDROUSLY GORGEOUS! And have found kind of a secret to getting things done. As you may or may not know, there are highly contemplated, very detailed lists made of everything that needs to be done. Also, each thing that needs doing on ONE PART of the Caper gets its own Colored Background.

Have found that unless the lists are looked at, they tend to get procrastinated.

So have taken to leaving the lists on the Computer Screens, so that when something gets done, its Colored Background gets eliminated. The result of this is, that as things get done, and my body needs a bit of a rest, what has just been finished, gets the Background Color eliminated, and after a bit of a break, am up doing the NEXT thing.

It isn't like going out and seeing what to do. It's getting up and going out to do a specific thing. That specific thing may be just one of a bunch of specific things, but it doesn't matter if all of them get done. What does matter is getting all the color eliminated from the list. And if some specific procedure or operation is only partially done, the NEXT thing with a Colored Background will be the next thing that gets done after the break.

So now we are awaiting the Drag Link which should be her tomorrow. We are awaiting the Duralast Brake Shoes, which the latest said that they will be here tomorrow, or Friday, or Monday, or some other time! We are also awaiting the Drag Link Jam Nuts which RuffStuff said may take two to four days to ship, and will let me know when THAT happens.

There ARE some items that need to be ordered, but with the end of the year economic BS what it is, it is almost useless to even TRY to get something. It is just too easy for everyone to have the "holidays" to blame for not getting what is needed in a timely manner. Am experiencing this with the Brake Shoes, and Jam Nuts.

So as previously mentioned, am going to be spending the time between NOW, and January 2, 2020 in a maintenance/organizing mode so that if I survive till then, will be ready to do everything that has yet to be done.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey JC......

44* is from the sensor over the water that's still at 55* or more.......in the breeze and away from the River it's quite chilly.............also I've found my "Comfort Zone" has narrowed quite a bit as I've survived my latter years.......not complaining but the COLD just hurts more now!! :( 

How'd Roslimbeo like his WARM Breakfast?? ;)

Have a good evening and stay warm out there!! :)

KOKO.........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coosawjack said:
Hey JC, 44* is from the sensor over the water that's still at 55* or more.......in the breeze and away from the River it's quite chilly.............also I've found my "Comfort Zone" has narrowed quite a bit as I've survived my latter years.......not complaining but the COLD just hurts more now!! :(
Hey Jack, Know what you mean. Happens to my body too.
How'd Roslimbeo like his WARM Breakfast?? ;)
Some time ago, it used to be etiquette to always leave a little uneaten food on one's plate as an indication that plenty had been served. THAT was generally an "upper-crust" thing for people to whom wasting food was no big deal. When I was a little kid, I was expected to clean my plate (meaning "I had to eat everything on it"), after all, there were children in China STARVING!

Never did understand how my eating everything on my plate was going to do anything for the STARVING Chinese kids. In any case, Roslimbeo is apparently an "upper crust" cat, because he always leaves a morsel or two in his bowl as an indication that I'm putting down more than he can eat.

But NOT YESTERDAY. It was cold out, and the food was warm, and he cleaned it up. The STARVING Kittens in China would have been proud!

Heard one time about a Hippy, and his son who were walking along, and the son found an old meth tablet in his pocket, and just flipped it into the gutter. The father Hippy, see this, reprimanded his son by telling him that there were Children in China SLEEPING!
Have a good evening and stay warm out there!! :)
Supposed to be warmer here today. We'll see.

Take care.

JC

KOKO.........
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coosawjack said:
"STARVING Kittens in China and Children in China SLEEPING"........LOL.....PRICELESS!! ;D ;D Have a good day and GOOD LUCK with today's Capers!! ;) :) KOKO.
Hey Jack, Was coming in from working on Ms. American yesterday, and saw what I thought was Roslimbeo under the Old Saw Horses with the Plywood on it where Roslimbeo eats. I said: "Well, THERE YOU ARE!, and about that time Roslimbeo comes out of the door to the Studio, and NOW there are TWO Feral Tuxedos. And Roslimbeo wasn't at all upset about the other Tuxedo, SO I think it may be a female.

Got some Cat Chow (More than Roslimbeo could eat) and put it on the Plywood. Checked on him a short while later, and he was gone, but the OTHER Tuxedo was eating what Roslimbeo hadn't.

Don't know for sure that it is a female, but am assuming it is.

Have named her Jubonsliet (that's Juliet with Bons (Bonsai, my favorite cat of all time) in the middle. So now there are two outside cats: Roslimbeo&Jubonsliet (there has to be a screen play in there somewhere!).

Have a GREAT what's left of the weekend.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well......Well......Well........perhaps you'll be Godfather to a whole slew of Kittens soon JC........WOW!!??? :eek:

Weekend here was boring.......warm but drizzly.....couldn't get motivated to do much.....back at it today, I hope?? ???

GOOD LUCK today!! :)

KOKO...........

·
Registered
246 Posts
word must be getting out that theres good eats at casa-del-allison... gonna have a kitty commune starting soon :)

stuff like that always reminds me of a story my buddy had from a long ago halloween...the year the 'chunky' candy bars came out- must been early 1970s, his dad bought a box for trick or treat... guess there was a crowd of kids down the street, one kid stopped got a chunky, and ran towars the group "VanCamp's got chunkys!!!" and they were out before the throng dispersed :)

meow- Allison's got warm food!-meow :)

I did get Marcus the Mercury's plugs and coils swapped- and as JC says, its 'turbine smooth' again...  still hear a slight tappet like sound in the drivers front part of the engine, but maybe its always been there...not loud, not even as loud as the fuel injectors in my mustang, but I just dont remember hearing it prior to the rough running... oh well- all is good again... no room to park here, will take it back to work and drop off tonight, just good to know its all good and ready to go if needed... I think next summer going to put new front springs  and stiffer shocks in it...noticed driving it tonight its awfully soft in the front end...shocks arent old, but springs are definitely sitting lower than it should and it bottoms on the slightest dip... a higher rate spring would feel a lot better...such a sweet running car- I see why so many folks loved the old crown vics...they are tanks, but like driving a couch down the highway :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ford4v429 said:
word must be getting out that theres good eats at casa-del-allison... gonna have a kitty commune starting soon :)
Hey Tim, when I first moved up here from Houston, had three cats. Bonsai was the Queen Mother. Perfex and OtherOne was her two daughters. The area wasn't crowded, and the cats roamed free, and the female felines are not territorial.

There was always a bowl of food, and a bowl of water just outside the door. It wasn't long before there was a hoard of cats eating at my place. I always said that their attitude was: "There ain't no place near this place like this place, so this MUST be the place!"
stuff like that always reminds me of a story my buddy had from a long ago halloween...the year the 'chunky' candy bars came out- must been early 1970s, his dad bought a box for trick or treat... guess there was a crowd of kids down the street, one kid stopped got a chunky, and ran towars the group "VanCamp's got chunkys!!!" and they were out before the throng dispersed :)
There's only one street light on Long Drive, and it's down at the West Dead End. Have NEVER had a Trick'R'Treater in the almost thirty-one years I've been here.
meow- Allison's got warm food!-meow :)
Roslimbeo being a TomCat IS territorial. He has gone all around the place "marking it" as HIS territory. Don't think that there will be any gathering, unless they're females.
I did get Marcus the Mercury's plugs and coils swapped- and as JC says, its 'turbine smooth' again... still hear a slight tappet like sound in the drivers front part of the engine, but maybe its always been there...not loud, not even as loud as the fuel injectors in my mustang, but I just dont remember hearing it prior to the rough running... oh well- all is good again... no room to park here, will take it back to work and drop off tonight, just good to know its all good and ready to go if needed... I think next summer going to put new front springs and stiffer shocks in it...noticed driving it tonight its awfully soft in the front end...shocks arent old, but springs are definitely sitting lower than it should and it bottoms on the slightest dip... a higher rate spring would feel a lot better...such a sweet running car- I see why so many folks loved the old crown vics...they are tanks, but like driving a couch down the highway :)
Glad you got that done. Am gearing up to do Lorrie's Electrical Caper. Got everything necessary except the Fittings, and the Wire ordered and on the way. UPS is delivering a NEW Solder Stataion, and a supply of Heat Shrink Sleeves today. Lorrie is going to get a NEW Voltmeter and a NEW Tachometer. She already has a Tachometer, but it is non-functional. Won't have to cut a hole in the Dash Panel for it. BUT... the NEW Voltmeter WILL have to have a 2-1/16" Hole cut in the Dash Panel. Have a 2-1/16" Metal Hole Saw coming. The Voltmeter will go just to the Right of the Tachometer (see JPG below).

Anyway, didn't get much done today, but did a LOT. Spent the whole morning making up the NEW Fuse Panel only to be disappointed with how it turned out, so have ordered another piece of Copper and am going to do it again. Know it can be done better. This morning was an education. Will have JPGs of it when finished.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lorries gonna be one robust machine again soon- new front end, new wiring, new paintjob (still think a 'dark side of the moon' mural would be cool LOL)

I worked kinda late last night on a project, then stuck around after till like 10:30 to start stripping the towmotor... maybe should call this one 'Dusty'? makes a mess...doing at the shop is a blessing, the old clark was bigger/rustier and made a big mess at home...we have a side draft they use when sanding/painting machines, it makes dust a moot point. oddly the old towmotor only had one layer of paint- whoever did it last time had taken it to bare before turning it green, and paint seemed to be a lacquer as it had faded and ground off easy...they hadnt bothered to fill any dents/gouges though... hope to get the wheels/mast off this weekend to finish welding and stripping- then skimcoat all the dings/dents and start painting soon...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ford4v429 said:
Lorries gonna be one robust machine again soon- new front end, new wiring, new paint job.
Hey Tim, Lorrie MIGHT be "one robust machine" if she ever gets finished. It has been REALLY humid here for the past few day, after it rained on and off for a while. It is so humid that the ground won't dry, and it not wet just where it rained. It's wet under Ms. American, AND under Lorrie. Have gathered up everything with which to bleed Lorrie's Brakes, but when I looked UNDER Lorrie's Front End, it is just too mucky to be rolling about on the pavement. So have everything gathered, and sitting Lorrie's Cargo Bay, and will do the bleeding when it dries up a bit.
(still think a 'dark side of the moon' mural would be cool LOL)
Actually, if there was going to be any kind of graphics, since Lorrie was the Lightshow's Equipment Truck, it would probably be more fitting to put the AllisonWonderland Logo (see GIF below) on her.
I worked kinda late last night on a project, then stuck around after till like 10:30 to start stripping the towmotor... maybe should call this one 'Dusty'? makes a mess... doing at the shop is a blessing, the old clark was bigger/rustier and made a big mess at home...we have a side draft they use when sanding/painting machines, it makes dust a moot point. oddly the old towmotor only had one layer of paint- whoever did it last time had taken it to bare before turning it green, and paint seemed to be a lacquer as it had faded and ground off easy...they hadnt bothered to fill any dents/gouges though...
So Dusty Towmotor has been refurbished BEFORE?
hope to get the wheels/mast off this weekend to finish welding and stripping- then skimcoat all the dings/dents and start painting soon...
And what color is DT going to be? Also when are we going to do the dedication copy? Am ready when you are.

Anyway, the Stewart Warner Voltmeter, the 2-1/16" Hole Saw (with which to cut the Hole in Lorrie's Dash Panel), and the Wirefy Crimping Tool are arriving today. A Kit of various sizes of Red and Black Heat Shrink Material with Glue inside arrived yesterday, along with a REALLY spiffy Soldering Station. The Stewart Warner Tachometer is supposed to be here tomorrow. And a spool of heavy PVC Heat Shrink Material to go over the first layer of Heat Shrink is supposed to arrive at the Post Office on Saturday.

Am hoping that all this is scoped out well enough that it can be done, and have it be operational when finished. Don't know what else to do if it doesn't make Lorrie functional. Maybe replace the Mopar Distributor with another one of these.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=362218467893&category=33690&pm=1&ds=0&t=1522305758000&ver=0

Got the one that is presently in Lorrie from this guy.

Still have to order a supply of GXL Wire. Am going to use only TWO sizes, but don't know which two sizes to use. You got any recommendations? After deciding THAT will be able to buy the proper size Electrical Fittings.

The Wires connected to the Fuse Panel, Switches, and Instruments, are going to have Ring Fittings.

The Wires that connect to the Control Module have to be Female Spades.

The Wire that goes from Control Module Ground will get a Butt Connector.

The Wire that goes from the + Batt to the Common Copper Strip on the Fuse Panel should be a heavier Wire than the TWO sizes being used everywhere else, and will have Ring Fittings, to go on the Starter Terminal where the Battery Cable connects, and a smaller Ring on the End that connects to the Common Copper Strip on the Fuse Panel.

The wire from the Ammeter to the Common Copper Strip on the Fuse Panel will have Ring Fittings on BOTH ends.

There will be a Wire from the RUN Switch that goes to the Voltmeter. There will be ANOTHER Wire that goes FROM the RUN Switch to the Electronic Voltage Regulator's IGN Terminal. Where it is connected to the RUN Switch will be a Ring Fitting. Where it connects to the IGN Terminal on the Voltage Regulator will have to be a Female Spade Connector.

All the Ground Wires from the Instrumentation will be Ring Terminals.

Also, am going to be Soldering all the Wires to the Fittings along with Crimping them. This happens to be what DXL recommended. It's what DXL does. Bullet-Proof.

Anyway, it's kind of dull and dreary, and warm. It's cooler and less humid in the house. All the windows have condensation on the OUTSIDE. Supposed to rain again tomorrow. May start taking Lorrie's Dash Panel apart. Wouldn't matter if it's raining because it would be being done INSIDE Lorrie.

Hang in there.

JC

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.