Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Permit me to introduce myself. I am JC Allison, 80 years old, and am Caretaker of Lorrie Van Haul, a 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle. There were 3,500 of this model built, and Lorrie is apparently the last one in existence.

Am about 1% into a VERY interesting Caper. We're getting ready to build Lorrie Van Haul a completely NEW Right Hand Drive Manual Steering System.

Have spent almost a year doing the necessary research to find the parts, materials, and methodologies that are necessary to do something this complex.

It would probably be efficacious to show a JPG of Lorrie Van Haul, the particulars of whom can be found in the Sig accompanying this post.

Lorrie used to work for the United States Postal System (USPS) She was retired in 1975, and came to live with me, working in "ShowBiz" carrying the equipment for the AllisonWonderland Concert Lightshow on the Rock&Roll Concert Tour Circuit.

Some relevant information about Lorrie's present Steering System:

Her Steering System's Steering Gear Box is a Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box. It has seen better days. In the past year, have been searching for another one, but Lorrie's Unit appears to be the last one on the planet, and all the Replacement Parts are made of Unobtainium. The upshot of all this is that we are going to have to build Lorrie's NEW Steering System out of all NEW Parts (Custom-Built RHD Manual Gear Box, NEW Steering Column Shaft, NEW 3/4"-30 Spline Input Shaft Coupler, and a NEW Pitman Arm.

Am not yet comfortable with how to upload multiple JPGs here, but there are numerous JPGs of Lorrie's OLD Gemmer.

A quirk in Lorrie's construction has made it impossible to remove the OLD Gemmer just by unbolting it. It appears that the Chassis was completely built, and then the Body was put onto the Chassis. It appears that in order to extract the OLD Gemmer, we were going to have to remove the Body, which is WAY BEYOND my capabilities.

BUT after much consultation with some VERY savvy "Old Car Hobby Guys", it was decided that the OLD Gemmer could be extracted if we but cut away part of Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal.

So in the last few days, how to best to do that has been ascertained, and what we are getting ready to do is take out the Sheet Metal from between Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Fenders, and above Lorrie Diamond Deck Plate Front Bumper.

The Section taken out will be made to be removable (like having a Hood) making access to the Radiator, and OLD Gemmer easy peasy. It will then be able to be put back in and fastened with either Dzuz Fasteners, or maybe Post&Pin Hood Hold-Downs.

NOW, about replacing Lorries OLD Gemmer Y4D-335, RHD Manual Steering Box: It is taking the building of a Chevrolet Truck Steering Gear Box, Reversing the Input Shaft end-for-end, AND Reversing the Rotation of the Output (Sector) Shaft. so that when the Input Shaft is turned Clockwise, the Output (Sector) Shaft turns Counter-Clockwise. This is going to be SO SPIFFY.

We're then going to have to fabricate a Mounting Bracket that will "clock" the NEW Custom Built RHD Manual Steering Gear Box so that the Input Shaft will mount directly to the NEW Steering Column Shaft with but a Coupler (no U-Joints necessary), and the Upper End of the Steering Column Shaft will accept Lorrie's ORIGINAL Steering Wheel

BTW, when we get used to posting JPGs, all of these items will be posted as JPG images.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Take care everyone.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sounds fun!  Keep us posted.  To attach more images you click on the blue text that reads "(more attachments)" under the little box with "choose file" in an oval.  You should be able to click it numerous times to add numerous pictures.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Too cool!

Yes. You need to figure out how to get the pictures posted!
We all love the pictures here. ;D
An off site picture hosting place is what I use... https://imgur.com/ It makes things simpler sometimes.

Keep us updated. And may I suggest a 440 Big Block for power?

This is a running joke with me...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reed said:
Sounds fun!
Hey Reed, we'll just have to wait and see. Does the phrase "Bite off more than one can chew: have any relevance here?
Keep us posted.
If, when, and as progress occurs.
To attach more images you click on the blue text that reads "(more attachments)" under the little box with "choose file" in an oval. You should be able to click it numerous times to add numerous pictures.
Oh, GREAT! Was hoping someone would clue me in.

Anyway Reed, thanks for the FIRST response here at RamchargerCentral.

It's onward through the fog!

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Too cool!
Hey Mr. KFLQ, Lorrie is just the biggest, gentlest, easy to get along with old thing. We've been everywhere between Eugene, Oregon, to New Orleans, Louisiana. Down as far South as San Diego, California. But we've lived in the World's Largest Pine Forest (Sam Houston National Forest) in "Deep East Texas" for the last thirty years. Lorrie gets a lot of attention in the parking lots.
Yes. You need to figure out how to get the pictures posted! We all love the pictures here. ;D
Got a million of them.
An off site picture hosting place is what I use... https://imgur.com/ It makes things simpler sometimes.
Used to use PhotoBucket, but have found that the JPGs can be posted directly from The Scalder (this Computer).
Keep us updated.
If, when, and as progress occurs.
And may I suggest a 440 Big Block for power?
Sure. You can suggest ANYTHING! But I'm 80 years old, don't race any more. Lorrie and I putt around Onalaska, Texas (Located where Texas Highway 190 crosses the Trinity River), and seldom exceed the 40 MPH Speed Limit, though when we go to Livingston, Texas (13 miles East of here), she can run 60 with ease.

Am afraid that a 440 Big Block would kind of be wasted on ME. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate a big, powerful Engine. In fact, Lorrie has a running mate, for whom she serves as a "chase truck". Her running mate is Ms. American 3.14159, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the WHOLE World Wide Web.

Here is the information on Ms. American PI (Police Interceptor):
Ms. American 3.14159 - 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 - Model: 64 = 4-Door Hardtop - Body: 57B = 4-Door Fastback - Police Interceptor - 390 CID - 330 HP - P-Code FE Big Block V8 - Solid Lifters - Cast Iron Shorty Headers - Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carburetor with a Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke Conversion - 3 Speed Borg Warner T85 Overdrive Transmission - 4.11:1 Differential - Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels - PerTronix Ignitor III HEI/PerTronix 60,000 Volt FlameThrower HC Ignition Coil - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Chantilly Beige - Beige on Beige Interior

Ms. American has lived with me since June 6, 1986. Day after tomorrow is our anniversary. Prior to that she was my Mother's Daily Driver. My Father bought her NEW in March of 1964. She is just a little less that 1,000 miles away from having 300,000 miles on her. She is a very NICE vehicle, but a handful to drive. Lorrie is my sweetheart.
This is a running joke with me.
LOL. Have to say that Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six is the sweetest running Engine I've ever owned. A couple of pumps on the Accelerator, turn on the RUN Switch, just BARELY touch the START Switch, and the First Cylinder fires. and even on the COLDEST morning, the /S is running at 550 RPM!

Anyway, hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care.

JC

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
It's hard to beat a Leaning Tower of Power for reliability.
Good story... keep it coming.
Good luck with the fabbing up of the steering.

My son's been working on his 1941 Power Wagon for quite a few years now...
https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/my-son's-'41-power-wagon/
He upgraded the running gear with later model stuff.
He spent months on fabbing up the steering gear mount to the frame.
So I can understand somewhat of what your going through with your steering issues.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
It's hard to beat a Leaning Tower of Power for reliability.
Hey Mr. KLQ, am in TOTAL agreement with THAT.
Good story... keep it coming.
Being a writer, there's hardly anything I enjoy more than telling good stories. Hopefully, the things related about my adventures with Lorrie Van Haul will be interesting enough, and accompanied by images, that what is being done will be both attention holding, AND hopefully informative.
Good luck with the fabbing up of the steering.
Thanks. Have spent many hours in contemplation on how it is going to have to be done, and while there's many a slip between the cup and the lip, the parts of this Caper that are unknown are few (but they DO exist) hopefully they won't scotch the deal.
My son's been working on his 1941 Power Wagon for quite a few years now...
https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/my-son's-'41-power-wagon/
He upgraded the running gear with later model stuff.
He spent months on fabbing up the steering gear mount to the frame.
So I can understand somewhat of what your going through with your steering issues.
Haven't yet looked at YOUR son's Power Wagon Project, but I will, and maybe if the occasion presents itself, will comment where appropriate.

Want to mention something about the OLD Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box (see Illustration)

The Steering Column Shaft is integral with the Worm Gear, rendering the size of the Unit over 4'-0" long! BUT, the 1967 Dodge OEM Shop Manual says that there were TWO versions of the Gemmer produced, one with the Integral Shaft&Worm, and one that had but a Stub Shafted Worm Gear. As of the present, since Lorrie's Steering System has yet to be disassembled, don't know which version Lorrie has. Am hoping it is the Stub Shaft version. The reason for this is: In order to get the Gemmer extracted from it position on the outside of the Right Front Frame Rail, it is going to, IF it has the Long Shaft version, entail jacking Lorrie's Front End up to gain the over four foot of clearance necessary to pull the Shaft out of the Steering Column Jacket. Am thinking that it is going to take either Jacking Lorrie's Front End UP and putting it on Jack Stands, OR driving Lorrie UP onto the Ramps that are here. Also if the Gemmer is the Long Shaft version, it is going to take removing Lorrie's Front Bumper. If mayhaps the Gemmer is of the Stub Shaft Variety, all that would be alleviated. Will just have to wait and see.

Am now going to try to attach another image: This is a view of Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D RHD Manual Steering Gear Box. Will just have to wait and see if it can be done.

Anyway, we are hot on the trail of this Caper. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Oh, and one more thing... Wanted to compliment YOU on the quality of your writing, AND spelling. Just saying.

Take care.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
JCAllison said:
Hey Mr. KLQ, am in TOTAL agreement with THAT.Being a writer, there's hardly anything I enjoy more than telling good stories.
Oh, and one more thing... Wanted to compliment YOU on the quality of your writing, AND spelling. Just saying.

Take care.

JC
I'm really interested in your fixing the steering on Ms. Lorrie!
I willing to bet your the only one here with this problem. There's not that many 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicles on this site.

Well, my writing isn't anything above 6th grade level. I just try to be aware of what I'm saying. So people don't take me for the corn dog I really am. ;D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
I'm really interested in your fixing the of steering on Ms. Lorrie!
Hey Mr, KLQ,
Some time ago, happened to run across a website where the fellow was tracking Post Office Vehicles. Was never able to find that place again, but at the time he had stated that the 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle was EXTINCT! I wrote him an E-Mail saying that I had one, and that she was still road worthy and street legal. He responded saying: "I'd have to see a picture!" I sent him a JPG of Lorrie. He came back with: "I'll be damned, that's the last one left."
I willing to bet your the only one here with this problem. There's not that many 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicles on this site.
Are there ANY? I've seen only ONE other one in all the time I've had Lorrie. See the JPG of it.

Well, my writing isn't anything above 6th grade level. I just try to be aware of what I'm saying. So people don't take me for the corn dog I really am.
From being on a number of Auto Forums, it has become apparent to me that being a GREAT mechanic isn't always accompanied by being a GOOD writer. I attribute that conclusion to the apparent reason that there is very little proof reading done.

Permit me to ask for some information. This Thread is for the Steering Conversion Caper. But that is not the only Caper that is presently in progress. There are a couple of ancillary Capers pending: One is the removal of the Sheet Metal from between Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Fenders, which has to be done to be able to remove the Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Steering Gear Box, AND to make it to where it is easier to remove Lorrie's Radiator without having to remove Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Front Bumper; The OTHER Caper pending is the installation of NEW Door Handles, for which I have been searching quite a few years, and just recently found, and which, incidentally, ARRIVED yesterday! It it possible and acceptable to start NEW threads for these additional Capers, without offending?

Anyway, I have some other stuff that needs doing at the moment, but will be posting further after while.

Hope this finds YOU doing well, Take care.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep fire away .............

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
JCAllison said:
It it possible and acceptable to start NEW threads for these additional Capers, without offending?

JC
You're in the right thread area being a Van.
You can just keep this same one going. Just change the title of it to go along with what your doing.
There's lots of people here who do that on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dodge82273 said:
yep fire away .............
Hey Mr. D8,
All right. GREAT! This makes it possible to have the Subject of the Caper be readily apparent without having to sort through a Thread with a number of Subjects to find the info on any PARTICULAR Subject. Having it to where the Subject Line contains a reference to only the information in that Thread also makes it easier for me to post relevant information. Am making an effort to get up to speed with this NEW Forum Format. Thanks for the response.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coosawjack said:
Subscribing here too!! 8)
Hey Jack,
Would you believe that I just spent over an hour on a post, and it disappeared! Hate it when THAT happens.

JC

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
JCAllison said:
Hey Jack,
Would you believe that I just spent over an hour on a post, and it disappeared! Hate it when THAT happens.

JC
That's why I use Microsoft word on big post.
Especially if I need to save it for later postings... or the wife wants me to do something RIGHT NOW! ;D
Type it there. Make corrections there. Copy and paste back here. Done.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
aside from my normal misspelling , you may want to look at things like equipment for a steering box , I have seen that type you pictured often in my time , last recollection was on a machine called a Raygo ( brand ) roller ...... this interneted thing may give you a idea if they are still in production , machines often last longer than autos and therefore parts may still be around ...  seems like the box used in a Raygo Romper , a little thing ....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
That's why I use Microsoft word on big post. Especially if I need to save it for later postings... or the wife wants me to do something RIGHT NOW! ;D Type it there. Make corrections there. Copy and paste back here. Done.
Hey Mr. KLQ,
When I started off with the disappearing post, I had no idea it was going to get long. But it did. Then a few JPGs were attached. Then when previewing the post, one of the JPGs got clicked on, and up came the JPG full screen with no way to X out of it. Hit ESC, to no avail. Then saw a note in the upper left of the Screen. Clicked on it, and poof! Everything was gone!

But what you suggest is a good idea. I use OpenOffice as it seems simpler.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of how to keep from losing lengthy posts. Take care

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dodge82273 said:
aside from my normal misspelling , you may want to look at things like equipment for a steering box , I have seen that type you pictured often in my time , last recollection was on a machine called a Raygo ( brand ) roller .
Hey Mr. DE8,
Sorry for not having responded sooner. I completely missed noticing your post till this morning when an UPDATE on this Caper was about to be written.
this interneted thing may give you a idea if they are still in production , machines often last longer than autos and therefore parts may still be around ... seems like the box used in a Raygo Romper , a little thing ....
Looked at Raygo Parts... They are all in the "about $10,000.00 Range", which is, as you might imagine, a little out of the Budget here at the AllisonWonderland Compound!

But thanks for the head-up about this. The UPDATE is going to be interesting as we are about to pull the trigger on the acquiring of the necessary components to do the Steering Conversion Caper. Watch for it.

Hope you are well.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, June 11, 2019, Morning Update:

Have just heard back from Dan Jones at Lares Corp., and have decided to FINALLY pull the trigger on the actual acquisition of all that will be needed to do "The GREAT Lorrie Van Haul Steering Conversion Caper", which will entail the following: Acquire the Borgeson Gear Box with the Input Shaft REVERSED end-for-end, AND the ROTATION REVERSED, which will make the Unit function as follows: Turn the Input Shaft Clockwise, and the Output Shaft will turn Counter-Clockwise; Acquire a Pitman Arm Puller; Acquire a proper Coupler to fit the Borgeson Input Shaft; Acquire a Steering Column Shaft which will fit both Lorrie's Steering Wheel on the UPPER end, and the Coupler that fits the Borgeson Input Shaft on the LOWER end; Acquire a proper Pitman Arm that will fit the Borgeson Output Shaft, and Lorrie's Drag Link. Have fabricated an Adapter Plate that will fit the Borgeson Mounting method, AND the Mounting Holes on Lorrie's Right Front Frame Rail.

With all these Items in hand, will then proceed to extract Lorrie's OLD Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box, and do the following: Install the Borgeson based Steering System. After it is functional, will send Lorrie's OLD Gemmer to Lares for rebuilding.

We're still a bit of time away from all this, because of having to finish Lorrie's NEW Door Handle Installation, which is in full swing, and should be completed within the week.

Then will come the cutting and removal of Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal.

With THAT finished, and having all the necessary stuff to do The GREAT Lorrie Van Haul Steering Conversion Caper on hand, the extraction of Lorrie's OLD Gemmer should be accomplishable, followed by the installation of the Borgeson based Steering System.

Will of course keep you all update if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care.

JC

1 - 20 of 321 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.