Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 24, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

To make it easy to deal with Lorrie Van Haul's Turn Signal Circuit Arrangement, have decided to give it its own Caper. As promised earlier, JPGs would be provided. Have taken the JPGs, and arranged them in some semblance of order so that finding out WHERE the Wires come FROM, and WHERE the Wires go TO might be ascertained.

The First JPG is of the side of the Turn Signal Switch that faces the Driver. It has two Lights which indicate on which side of the vehicle the Turn Signal is flashing. The Lever has FOUR Positions. The MIDDLE Position is OFF. The DOWN Position activates the LEFT Turn Signal. The UP Position activates the RIGHT Turn Signal. Then there it a FURTHER UP Position which flashes ALL the Turn Signals. When THAT is happening BOTH Indicator Lights Flash.

The Second JPG is of the Back Side of the Turn Signal Switch showing the THREE Wires. There is a YELLOW Wire with a Male Spade Connector, a RED Wire with a Female Spade Connector, and a BROWN Wire with a Female Spade Connector.

The Third JPG is a closer view of the Back Side of the Turn Signal Switch. On the Left End of the Unit is the actual Lever Activated Switch. On the Right End is the Flasher. It was recently replaced. The YELLOW Wire is connected to the Flasher Terminal marked "X", and the other Connection on the Flasher is a BLACK Wire on a Terminal marked "L".

The Fourth JPG shows where the BLACK Wire goes TO a Terminal on the Right Side of the Lever Actuated Switch. The RED Wire goes to a Terminal on the Lever Actuated Switch marked "R", and the BROWN Wire goes to a Terminal on the Lever Actuated Switch marked "L". Also connected to the RED and BROWN Wired Terminals are BLACK Wires that go to the Indicator Lights.

The Fifth JPG shows the BLACK Wires going to the Indicator Lights.

The Sixth JPG is a closer view of the Back of the Lever Actuated Switch.

The Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth JPGs are showing the Flasher Unit, with the YELLOW and BLACK Wires connected. I suspect that the Case of the Flasher is Grounded to a part under it.

The Tenth JPG shows the YELLOW Wire with the Male Spade Connector.

The Eleventh JPG shows the RED, and BROWN Wires with the Female Spade Connectors.

It is my intention to find FROM WHERE on the Fuse Panel cometh the RED Wire under the Dash that yesterday registered almost 12 Volts on the Radio Shack Multi Tester. I THINK that it should connect to the YELLOW Wire.

It is also my intention to find the Wires that are connected to the Turn Signal Lights and connect the RED Wire to the Right Turn Signal Circuit, and the BROWN Wire to the Left Turn Signal Circuit.

The problem presently is that I haven't the slightest idea WHERE the Wires to which the RED and BROWN Wires connect are located.

In any case, just taking the JPGs, and writing this description has lifted the fog a bit. Would like to get a supply of YELLOW, RED, AND BROWN Wire and the proper Spade Connectors and using the NEW Wire Stripper/Crimper make the connections when found so that the Wires are connected to the SAME Color of Wire connected to the Turn Signal Circuits.

Anyway, have another set of JPGs of Lorrie's NEW Tim-CUSTOM Drag Link to post, and then am going to see if the Duct Tape/Penny Nail Holding Idea works. Will let you know how it comes out. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ford4v429 said:
looks correct - yellow power, red and brown for left/right(maybe right/left)
Hey Tim (to the rescue). So what I want to do now is find the Fuse on the Fuse Panel that is continuous with the RED wire under the Dash, and replace IT with a NEW Female Spade Fitting on a NEW YELLOW Wire coming from the Fuse Panel. Then connect those TWO Fittings. That will give me Power to the Turn Signal Switch.
so problem is not the switch, but you cant physically find the lamp wires- is that correct?
As mentioned previously, ALL the wires in the Starboard Wheel Well were Nylon Tie Wrapped up out of the way when the Wheel Wells were given their application of Herculiner. In just looking up there (have to do it with either a Lantern, or a Drop Light), couldn't see any place where a Wire MIGHT be, but then again, I didn't know what I was looking for.

So the deal now is to cut all those Nylon Ties and see if any Wires with Male Spade Fittings can be found because the Wire's that they go to (the RED and the BROWN) have Female Spade fittings.

It has just had me bumfuzzled. Didn't EVEN know that for which I was looking. And my thinking about it wasn't coherent. Then after taking the JPGs, and writing the description, and then having YOU confirm what I was just beginning to understand, things started to clear up. At least I can NOW feel like I'm moving in the RIGHT direction.

The NEXT thing that needs doing, to finish installing Lorrie's Starboard Front Brakes, then clean up Lorrie's interior of the moderate clutter, to make it possible to get to the Fuse Panel, and do the YELLOW Wires.

Have Lorrie's Primary Brake Shoe installed! Am not very good at it. One would have to do a LOT of it to get good at it. In doing the research on it, have come across people who have had the same experience of getting frustrated with doing it. Then every once in a while someone will write about a guy who does a LOT of it. One fellow made mention that he knew a mechanic that could do all four Drum Brakes in an Hour! It just took me about three hours to do just one Brake Shoe! Also, it would help to have someone helping by holding things in place. Am having to use C-Clamps, and Duct Tape. Just having a THIRD hand would be MARVELOUS!

Anyway, am taking a break, and am going to go see if the Secondary Brake Shoe will go on. The Primary Shoe just about wore me out, but it got done. Bit-by-Bit!

JC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there,

Pretty straight foreword. The switch needs 3 connections. 1x 12v from fusebox to the switch. In this case yellow (hence the male connector). 2x 12v from the switch to the bulbs 1 left and 1 right (hence the Female connectors). 

As you haven't buggered with anything, all should be copecetic once you retrieve the corresponding wires to the bulbs. I see no need for cutting or replaceing anything.

Mel

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nite-owl01 said:
Hi there, Pretty straight foreword. The switch needs 3 connections. 1x 12v from fusebox to the switch. In this case yellow (hence the male connector). 2x 12v from the switch to the bulbs 1 left and 1 right (hence the Female connectors).
Hey Mel, It IS pretty straight forward, but until the JPGs were taken, and descriptions written, I was in a state of confusion, which is not generally my normal mode. There is a thing in writing called: "Writer's Block", and it happens when one is not sure. What was going on with the Turn Signal Switch was a variation of Writer's Block. Doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, it just leaves me dead in the water.
As you haven't buggered with anything,
Well, THAT might be a bit premature, as there WERE some wires that were fastened with Nylon Tie Wraps to the Steering Column Tube below the Floor Board where I couldn't see them. Don't know what happened to them when I removed the Steering Column Tube. What has happened to those Wires remains to be see.

It would be WONDROUS if the TWO Male Spade Connector Wires would be found, but so far, there hasn't been THAT much of a search made because before yesterday, THAT for which I was looking was yet to be determined. It will NOW be easier because I know that for which to look.
all should be copecetic once you retrieve the corresponding wires to the bulbs.
YES.
I see no need for cutting or replacing anything.
Well, it WOULD be nice to have the YELLOW, RED, and BROWN Wires connect to YELLOW, RED and BROWN Wires. And seeing that this will probably be the LAST time that there is an opportunity to so do, that NOW is the time to do it. Will let you know how it goes.

Already this morning, have removed the Pitman Arm, but it was COLD, and probably wouldn't be a very good idea to paint it at THAT temperature. So have it sitting on the DeLongi Oil Radiator Space Heater in the Computer Room to warm it up. Will then take it out, hang it to where it can be accessed, and paint it with Valspar Rust-Armor Semi-Gloss Black. While it is drying, am going to install Lorrie Van Haul's Starboard Brake Drum, adjust it, and put the Rubber Plugs in the Adjuster Access Holes.

Thanks for the positive re-enforcement. Hope you are warm and dry.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 26, 2019, Fore-Noon Update:

Have just finished putting the Rubber Plugs in the Front Starboard Brake Back-Plate Adjustment Ports, and then made a serious attempt to FINALLY find the TWO Male Spade Fitting Wires. THEY WERE FOUND!!!

They were BOTH just above the Floor Board where the Steering Column Tube goes through the Floor Board. So NOW the drill is... Get EVERYTHING out of Lorrie's Cargo Bay, and am going to have to remove the Starboard, and Rear Engine Cabinet Panels in order to be able to get to them to do the re-connection.

Am going to do the Connection, and then Nylon Tie Wrap the Male Spade Wires to the Steering Column Tube just BELOW the Fittings, then Nylon Tie Wrap the BROWN and RED Wires to the Steering Column Tube just ABOVE the Fitting. That will make it to where the Fittings will not have to take any pressure from either end of the Circuit Wires.

Weather here is just GORGEOUS. Getting Lorrie all cleaned out will be a mile-stone. Getting the Turn Signals to working will be like a VICTORY over FEAR!

It may be that the Starboard Turn Signal Bulb Fitting needs some kind of fixing though. As was reported some time previously, when Lorrie's NAPA Legend 75 Battery was connected and the Headlights, and Running Lights checked, that the Starboard Running Light didn't light. THAT will have to be checked out and remedied if necessary.

Anyway, what we're doing today is fog-less. Know how to do it all. Should, once access is acquired, be EASY PEASY. Then it will be on to working on the Front Bumper and Front Wheels. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 16, 2019, Mid-Afternoon Update:

Used the Hitachi Screw Gun to remove the Deck Screws holding the Rear of the Engine Cabinet Panel. When it is removed, the Starboard Side of the Engine Cabinet Panel will come off. Removed the Removable Floor Board, and that made accessing the TWO Black Male Spaded Wires easy peasy.

Fastened the Turn Signal Switch down close to the Dash, and connected the RED Wire to one of the TWO Black Male Spade Connectors, and turned the Turn Signal Switch to Right Turn. Now there is a 50/50 chance of it being Right, and a 50/50 chance of it being Wrong. It was WRONG. Got back in and disconnected the RED Wire, and Reconnected it to the OTHER Black Male Spade Connector, and connected the BROWN Wire to the OTHER Black Male Spade Connector. Then turned the Turn Signal Switch to FOUR-WAY FLASHING, and checked.

All FOUR of Lorrie's Turn Signals were Flashing. Then checked each way to make sure that they were all functional, and they were.

Am taking a break for something to eat. Have been running on Coffee since just after Midnight.

Then we will go out, put the Tie Wraps in place. Move the Turn Signal Switch up to where the Wires lie next to the Steering Column Tube, and Tie Wrap them in place.

Am not going to reinstall the Floor Board and Engine Cabinetry until after the Brake Bleeding is finished in order to have better Access to filling the Master Cylinder.

QUESTION: Lorrie's Master Cylinder has a Front and Rear Reservoir. Are her Rear Brake Lines going to have to be Bled since they have not been messed with.

Once the Front Brakes have been Bled, will put the Floor Board, and Engine Cabinetry Back in place.

Will then be able to put the Front Wheels back on, do the process of removing the Jack Stands putting Lorrie Back on the Pavement.

But THAT is still a ways in the future. Still need to paint the Front Wheels Gold. Am going to do that BEFORE doing the Front Bumper.

Anyway, am about to collapse from not having eaten. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
GREAT progress JC......GLAD you got the turn signals worked out!! ;) :)

Rear brakes should be OK if they were OK before?? ???

Rest well........hopefully no "FOG" tomorrow either!! ;D

KOKO..........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coosawjack said:
GREAT progress JC. GLAD you got the turn signals worked out!! ;) :)
Hey Jack, with everything happening when it is supposed to happen, all the worry was again unnecessary, because as it turns out, the Male Spade Connectors were NOT in the Starboard Front Wheel Well, NOR were they in the Jumble of Wires on the Starboard Side of Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six. They were just ABOVE the Floor Board sticking up through the Hole where the Steering Column Tube come through from the Gemmer to the Steering Wheel.
Rear brakes should be OK if they were OK before?? ???
They were fine BEFORE.
Rest well. Hopefully no "FOG" tomorrow either!! ;D KOKO.
Had some lunch, then went to rest for a bit, and fell asleep till 4:09 p.m. What was done today just wore me out.

Was doing some contemplation and have decided that the painting of the Wheels can wait. So can the cleaning and painting of the Front Bumper. So tomorrow, am going to finish the installation of the Turn Signals, Lube ALL the Zerks, put the Tires back on Lorrie's Front Axle, and get her sitting level on the Pavement to Bleed the Brakes.

Would like to get her MIGHTY 225 Slant Six running again. Then we can leisurely do the REST of the Caper without worrying about her survival should anything happen to me.

Anyway, am done for the day. Am looking forward to a night's sleep, and will MAYBE have Lorrie back up and running tomorrow even if she isn't TOTALLY finished. It pretty much depends on how the Brake Bleeding goes. Am going to do it by myself. Will have to wait and see if it's supposed to happen. Take care.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, December 27, 2019, Morning Update:

First thing this morning, will be Nylon Tie Wrapping the Turn Signal Wires to Steering Column Tube and doing the FINAL positioning of the Turn Signal Switch, and tightening it down.

Need to then Grease the EIGHT Zerks on Lorrie's Front Suspension. There is a Zerk on each end of the Tie Rod. A Zerk on each end of the Drag Link. And Two Zerks on each Spindle. They are all pretty accessible. Will be interesting to see how THAT all goes.

Next will be doing whatever is necessary to install the Front Wheels.

Am thinking that the Ramps can be put next to each Brake Drum, the Wheels rolled UP the ramps, and that they should be near the position to get them to go on the Lugs,, and get the Lug Nuts on and tightened. Will have to see if THAT scheme has any relation to REALITY. But in any case the Wheels need to be installed.

Will then do a preliminary "eye-ball" Alignment of the Front Wheels. Then we'll see if we can get Lorrie safely taken off the Jack Stands, and put back onto the Pavement so that she is sitting level in order to do the Brake Bleeding.

Weather Guessers are saying Rain tomorrow, and the Sheet Metal Center Section of Lorrie's Front End needs to be put back in place to keep the Alternator, and front of the MIGHTY 225 Slant Six from getting rained on. So the truth of the matter is that we might not get all of the above done today, meaning that it may be Sunday before Lorrie is back on the Ground. Will just have to wait and see. There is another factor... Jeane is in San Marcos spending Crimmas with her husbands parents. She is aiming at either Sunday, or Monday to come visit, which will pretty much shoot the day as far as getting anything done on Lorrie.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
GREAT progress JC........

Hopefully Jeane will come see ya and y'all can "Burn The Day" reminiscing........it would be a good break for you and a GREAT time for both of you!!  ;) :)

Have a good one and GOOD LUCK with today's adventures!! ;D

KOKO........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coosawjack said:
GREAT progress JC.
Hey Jack, such as it is. Now if it will all work as advertised. Will just have to wait and see.
Hopefully Jeane will come see ya and y'all can "Burn The Day" reminiscing.
Jeane and I had a very nice phone conversation. She, and Naomi (her nine year old daughter), and maybe her husband Chris are going to try to come visit on Sunday, or Monday. I am generally amused at their being appalled by the conditions in which I live.

They are a VERY MODERN (now middle-aged) Family, doing all the right things so conventionally.

And here I am this crippled old coot-aging hippy artistic hermit-type "character", who spends ALL of his energy living an eternal Saturday, with little regard for being conventional.

I do what I do. Have done what I've done. Have nothing to prove to anyone. Have no "in-person" friends. Don't have to do anything unless absolutely necessary, or inspired.

And so with no one watching over me, or anyone (with the exception of FOUR Pussie Cats, and ONE feral Tomcat, and TWO old rattle-trap vehicles) depending on me, I'm thus FREE to be within the boundless, unlimited vastness of the Realm of Existence. THAT is just foreign to them (except for Jeane knowing that it's the way I've always been)

I happen to KNOW that they wonder "how a guy can stand to live like this?", because THEY have a "standard of living" that they are expected and required to maintain, because if they didn't, their entire standing in the "society" in which they exist wouldn't put up with them. Such is the "class-based" social order of the modern world. And they are doing it quite well.

Of those in her family, ONLY Jeane understands that I don't live in their world, and never have as long as she has known me.

I've always been, as far as whe knows, a kind of "desperado", an "out-lier" that just happened to have ALWAYS been in her life. She, and her family live the way they live because they HAVE to, but when it's just Jeane and me communicating, she sees the reality in which I live, and is influenced by it to the point of, in her own way, being drawn into it, though she could never let go, and be consumed by the life-style that is the way I live.

I've already lived the way they live. I gave it up because it came to be meaningless. And things that have happened to me have made NOT living like that anymore excusable. There's a very fine line between being a "Bum", and being a notable "Character"!
It would be a good break for you and a GREAT time for both of you!! ;) :)
We generally have a quite formal relationship. If they do, indeed, come to visit, it will be Naomi's first REAL contact with this somewhat "mythical" character that she knows only by what Jeane has let her know of me. This ought to be interesting... Jeane is eager for Naomi to meet me at an age where Naomi and I can really communicate for the first time.
Have a good one and GOOD LUCK with today's adventures!! ;D KOKO........
The day has started out kind of dreary, but it looks as though it is going to brighten up. Roslimbeo hasn't appeared yet, but I have his breakfast ready when he does.

Anyway, am going to be finishing Lorrie's Turn Signal Caper, and then lube the Zerks. If that all goes well, may see if the Tires will go on, and maybe even get Lorrie back on the pavement in preparation for bleeding the Front Brakes. Will let you know how it goes. Take care.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey JC........

I could tell from past emails that you and Jeane have a connection most wouldn't ever understand and I'm sure she's eager for Naomi to meet you and become amazed (dazzled?)......I hope their visit works out!! ;D

Have a good one and GOOD LUCK with the day's undertakings!! 8)

Lorrie's gonna be very HAPPY with her new "Front End".......not so sure about Ms. American?? ;)

KOKO........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coosawjack said:
Hey JC. I could tell from past emails that you and Jeane have a connection most wouldn't ever understand
Hey Jack, what Jeane and I have MOST in common is that we are both Vusicians. Have previously mentioned that when she was in Middle School, that we put together a Pasteboard Crystalume for her "Science Project". It actually came out quite nicely.

I had accumulated quite a large collection of Lenses, Crystals, Colored Glass, and other Optical Things that no NORMAL person associated with the kids at her school would have had any reason to have, and so Jeane had access to them.

Jeane had never known a time where there wasn't a Crystalume in her life. And NOW, she had one of her own. None of the kids in her school had any reason to have anything like it.

So when it came time for Jeane to do her "Science" thing, Jeane did what she had watched me do when I practiced, which was daily, and she had at times, having more than just a little affinity for it, helped develop NEW stuff, and kind of got the "hang" of it.

It's an intuitive thing.

She wasn't physically big enough to do anything with MY full sized Crystalume (see the JPG below), but she HAD, at times, been able to deal with what is called the "Positive Zone" which is where the motion, and some of the size of the image is controlled. It is also where the Faceted Crystals, and the "Arrays" of Optical Things are physically handled.

The "Negative Zone" is where the Volume (Brightness), Color, and Size of the image is controlled. So I would do the Negative Zone, and Jeane could do the Positive Zone, and she had, as little kids all do, the ability to imitate what I was doing, and while she was but imitating (not actually KNOWING) what was being done, to those who didn't KNOW the difference, they couldn't TELL the difference.

The result was "WOW-ING". And from the reaction that she got, SHE WAS HOOKED!

The result is that over a period of more than four decades of dealing with a Crystalume, she has come to be quite good at it. Probably the most intense period of development came in 1996 when Jeane wrangled a GIG for us at a place in San Marcos where we performed six shows a day six days a week, for six weeks. She got REALLY good. She used to tell people that I had taught her EVERYTHING she knows, but that she had not yet learned EVERYTHING I know. Still, the average person can't tell the difference between what I do, and what she does.

It was shortly after that GIG in 1996 that I became terribly ill from this Liver disease, which pretty much ended my doing anything. In fact, the last time that I transported all the equipment home from San Marcos in Lorrie Van Haul, and parked her, it was sixteen years till I was once again well enough to work on Lorrie, and that was when she got rebuilt.

But during all that time, Jeane had doing Crystalume stuff, so that NOW, when we get together, we talk Vusic, Crystalume, Technique, and instead of it be a Teacher/Student thing, it's a Peer thing. I can impart finer and finer nuances to what she does, and she UNDERSTANDS! BTW, the same thing has happened with Kent Skinner up in Dallas. He and I have maintained contact since the early 1970s.

At the risk of appearing to be "self-serving" am going to paste something that Kent had written some time ago as a quote:
After I returned from my backpacking trip to Europe my friend Dale Meyler suggested that I go check out a place called Allison Wonderland on Knox Street in Dallas. It was an old movie theater that the owner, Jim Allison had turned into a cool weekly multi media show with live music, serial movies, weird flicks and the most amazing light show. Dale had been doing lo tech multi media shows in his garage for years and he wanted me to try and figure out how Jim was doing his light show. I was flummoxed. All I had to do was ask. I introduced myself to Jim and played some original guitar pieces and songs while we talked for a while. I ended up playing there almost every week for a while. After that initial chat, Jim asked me " O.k. So you're name isn't really Cat Skinner is it?" Laughter. He had misheard. "No, it's Kent Skinner!" I corrected him. He gave me a tour backstage and demonstrated the instrument he had built and named the Crystalume. He would manipulate a collection of lenses and crystals and various pieces of cut glass and lucite, working in and out of multiple focal points of light from a 1200 watt projector. By playing the beam of light with his fingers and varying the rhythm, intensity and size of the imagery he created what he called "Vusic" or visual music. This was leagues beyond the cool but splashy psychedelic light shows that one associates with the 60s. This was a polished, practiced visual interpretation of music. This was art. Jim would drop little nuggets of information occasionally but he let me discover on my own. I had to build my own setup. I experimented and went through a couple of Lumes before building one that was portable and powerful and is sadly gathering dust in my garage as I write. I convinced the art department at U.T. Austin to give me six hours of credit towards my Art Degree. I named my show "Talking Lights" and later, "Choreoptics" and always acknowledged Jim as the source of my inspiration. But this story is not mine but his. Jim is a visionary. In the early 70's he anticipated a day when you would be able to buy your favorite album of music and take it home and watch it! I remember him owning an early videotape cassette recorder and in later years, playing with lasers. He should have gotten more famous and been known for being the pioneer that he was. The theater, Allison Wonderland did not endure. There was conflict between partners and it eventually folded. Jim moved away for a while and as a parting gift, gave a bottle of Aramis cologne and a fantastic set of pen points and Rapidograph pens which I used for years. I wore the Aramis too. After a stay in Natural Dam Arkansas, Jim lived with his lady friend and manager, Mary K Wilson in a house near Inwood and Mockingbird Lanes in Dallas. Although they were probably about 15 years older than me, it was cool to go hang out and listen to his stories. Jim is one of those people who has this incredible charisma that people are drawn to. Within five minutes, no matter where you are, there will be a crowd of enthralled listeners. Occasionally at this house there were altered consciousness states to be entertained by although I don't remember personally participating...specifically. One story involved a guy named Phil. Phil was probably an ex jock turned hippie and was one of the early "Oh woooow." kind of guys. He was young and had a bad sense of timing. One time when Jim and friends were tripping, Phil burst in exclaiming "Oh my god there is a horrible accident with blood and gas and cops and fire engines and.......!!" Jim interrupted in a calm voice, "Phil......we're tripping." Apologies. A week later, same circumstances, Phil started talking about an episode of The Outer Limits or some such show where someone had inserted earwigs into someone's ear and it was crwling around and eating his way out and..... Jim interrupted again, "Phil,...we're tripping" "Oh! Sorry man!" etc. Another week went by and Phil popped in to find Jim alone sitting in a living room chair with his eyes closed. Jim opened his eyes and turned to Phil. Phil asked "Tripping?" Jim nodded. Phil left. I understand that Phil, like some of us, grew up and still remains friends with Jim and MaryK (as she spells it today).
I lost track for a few years and by chance ran into Mary-K in Austin. She put me back in touch. Jim was living in Houston with his new lady, Judy Zekowski. We had independently discovered and were using some of the same music for our shows. I refer to it as graphic music, music that begs to be augmented visually. Jean Michel Jarre and Mike Oldfield for example. I visited a few times, sometimes to help Jim out of a manic funk. It could be brutal. His moods would swing extremely wide. He could be the happiest and most enthralling person on one end. Again I lost touch for a few years. I don't recall how but we reconnected again in the late eighties or early nineties and collaborated on a show with Judy's son, Greg Zekowski who had taken up the Crystalume himself at the White Rock art facility, The Bath House. Three Crystalumes! It was kind of a mess but it was cool to perform as a peer with my once mentor! Greg's sister, Jeanne Champion has her own Crystalume and still performs today! I need to drag out my Luke and clean her up. I may have been intimidated by the amazing visuals possible with digital technology today but thinking more about it, I can make impressive music in the studio with only my computer but it will never replace the satisfaction and the purity of sitting and playing my guitar. Jim is living somewhere in a small town near Houston. I intend to connect again.
Have just talked with Jeane. They will be coming to visit on Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
and I'm sure she's eager for Naomi to meet you and become amazed (dazzled?)......I hope their visit works out!! ;D Have a good one and GOOD LUCK with the day's undertakings!! 8)
Have gotten all the Turn Signal Wires organized, and Nylon Tie Wrapped and the Tails snipped. Have found a wire with a fitting on it, but don't now to what it connects. Will hopefully be just an extraneous wire, but will find out if it has anything to do with Lorrie running.
Lorrie's gonna be very HAPPY with her new "Front End".......not so sure about Ms. American?? ;) KOKO.
Will just have to wait and see. So am off to GREASE all EIGHT of Lorrie's Zerks.

Anyway, the day is still kind of dreary. Roslimbeo hasn't shown up yet. Have his breakfast ready for when he does, IF he does. Hope you are well. Take care.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Little by little your Autobiography comes to fruition........AMAZING stuff you've done and GREAT people you've known......and now......more AMAZING STUFF you've undertaken.............MOST IMPRESSIVE JC!! ;D

KOKO........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coosawjack said:
Little by little your Autobiography comes to fruition.
Hey Jack, Talked with Jeane a bit earlier. They are coming to take me out to eat. Turns out that where they want to take me isn't open on Monday, so they're coming on Tuesday. Told Jeane that she is known of on RCC. She didn't know what to say. She has recently been in touch with Kent Skinner. They may be planning on doing something like a concert. I'm unable to be involved, but will be interested to see what happens.
AMAZING stuff you've done
Back then it was just the things to do. There were a lot of people involved in a lot of different things. It was a more fun time than NOW.
and GREAT people you've known.
Might make mention that Kent and his wife are Karate competitors. In one of the Karate organizations, both he and his wife have been World's Champions. Don't understand it, but they've both gotten good enough to be recognized at what they do by those who know about that kind of thing.

People like Jeane, and Kent are NOW types. Mary-k, and I are, among those who know about the kind of thing in which we were involved, are considered as more like historical characters. Mary-k terms it being "Secretly Famous"!
and now......more AMAZING STUFF you've undertaken.............MOST IMPRESSIVE JC!! ;D KOKO.
And in the end, here I am spending the the Golden Years of my life working on an old Post Office Vehicle. How nutty is THAT? What is wrong with this picture?

Wonder where that "rogue" Wire that was found goes? It's connected to the Fuse Panel, but it isn't in the first few connections which are involved with the Ignition System. Won't know what it goes to until after Lorrie is up and running again. It MAY have been connected to the HORN, which quit working, got replaced, and the old Circuitry by-passed with a NEW Circuit, at another 12 Volt Source. There is so much that has been forgotten, and lost in the mists of time.

Put food out for Roslimbeo, hoping he would come back to eat, but the Dogs got it. Will hopefully see Roslimbeo later.

Anyway, didn't make it out to put a Wheel on Lorrie, although have figured out how it will probably be done. Will try to do that tomorrow, although the Weather Guessers are saying it is going to rain. Will just have to wait and see.

JC

·
Registered
246 Posts
neat stories JC,
I still think you should consider writing another book, but in the first person, just telling your story- really neat stuff. Hope you have a wonderful visit with Jeane and her family- certain Naomi will remember it forever too-
  as a kid my dad took us to meet a old mining friend of my grandfather (grandfather was killed when my dad was 10) and the old guy lived in his own time... seriously- he was close to 100, lived in the house his dad built in the mid 1800s, and he worked the mines up till about WWII when they started booming with investment -

he stopped the clock there. house had coal heat, a well with a bucket, a outhouse, no power or phone...he still prospected, hunted, and panned gold to get by...oddest thing was, over the years in the mines, as a young man, they drilled without steam hammers, one guy with a drill and hammer was called 'single jacking', one guy rotating the bit, one swinging a sledge was 'doublejacking' which somehow was four times faser... problem was, working by candle, one miss, one or more fingers gone... the guy had a thumb and index finger on one hand, only the two middle fingers on the other... he almost joked about it- 'the first one hurt the most of course, but you got used to it'... never met anyone so 'in their own world' as him, never forget the nicotine stains on the two fingers on his hand...yet he did what he did, kept on going, had to be near 50 years pretty much solitary except for his dogs...

We had a decent day today- wife got her new three lead CRT pacemaker defibrillator, went easy as they could, we had been told could be a 4 hour thing for implanting the third lead, and some folks anatomy would just make it impossible- they were done in about 2 hours, Dr said the anatomy of her heart was ideal fr getting it in, and that everything was perfect :) whew... couldnt have hoped for better.

only awkward thing- took me a half hour to get to my truck though... embarrasingly limping thru the cleveland clinic with one shoe and one sock, the 1/4 mile or so to the parking deck... foot swelled up last night, by this afternoon couldnt walk with a shoe on- took it off when she got to her room, but by this evening, no way I could put a shoe on... certain its gout, seen it before in my Dad/Uncle, lucky mines just one foot, in a toe i broke 30 years ago... feels exactly like that broken toe did- constantly,  but every step feels like i just broke it again... i got a decent pain threshold, mostly laugh embarassed by not being able to walk, but sheesh, it kinda sux, baby steps on the side of the foot, still felt like the moment I dropped a 200 pound fixture on it years ago while not weariing steel toes...that sucked back then, on feet all day, 80 hrs a week, it was about 2 weeks of pretty agonizing fun, about another week where it was just really slowing walking but getting better, embarassing as heck, and no fun at all... know youve been thru a bizillion times worse, hats off to those who can tune it out and keep moving...

Anyway, mamas doing great, just has to take it easy, and will be sore for a while, as this new CRT thing is twice the size of the old one, should be able to bring her home mid day tomorrow... i reluctantly gotta run to a statcare in the morning unless this foot goes down- figured would just take a couple days to clear up on its own, but then too read the crystals inflaming the joint can damage it if untreated...so best get it looked at,  would prefer this don't come back. even driving home tonight touching the gas and brake was not fun in the least...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ford4v429 said:
neat stories JC,
I still think you should consider writing another book, but in the first person, just telling your story- really neat stuff.
Hey Tim, kinda hard to "toot one's own horn". That's why artists have agents, and managers.
Hope you have a wonderful visit with Jeane and her family
Am sure we will.
certain Naomi will remember it forever too-
Haven't seen Naomi since she was Five years old. She's now Nine. Just at the stage where they start remembering stuff.
as a kid my dad took us to meet a old mining friend of my grandfather (grandfather was killed when my dad was 10) and the old guy lived in his own time... seriously- he was close to 100, lived in the house his dad built in the mid 1800s, and he worked the mines up till about WWII when they started booming with investment -

he stopped the clock there. house had coal heat, a well with a bucket, a outhouse, no power or phone...he still prospected, hunted, and panned gold to get by...oddest thing was, over the years in the mines, as a young man, they drilled without steam hammers, one guy with a drill and hammer was called 'single jacking', one guy rotating the bit, one swinging a sledge was 'doublejacking' which somehow was four times faser... problem was, working by candle, one miss, one or more fingers gone... the guy had a thumb and index finger on one hand, only the two middle fingers on the other... he almost joked about it- 'the first one hurt the most of course, but you got used to it'... never met anyone so 'in their own world' as him, never forget the nicotine stains on the two fingers on his hand...yet he did what he did, kept on going, had to be near 50 years pretty much solitary except for his dogs...
Can relate to that kind of life. Primitive for his day. Like here is primitive for our day. Am not sure that the advancement of our society/culture/civilization is REALLY the way humanity should be going. Fear we're hell-bent on extinction.
We had a decent day today- wife got her new three lead CRT pacemaker defibrillator, went easy as they could, we had been told could be a 4 hour thing for implanting the third lead, and some folks anatomy would just make it impossible- they were done in about 2 hours, Dr said the anatomy of her heart was ideal fr getting it in, and that everything was perfect :) whew... couldnt have hoped for better.
Knew that yesterday was Paula's Procedure day. It crossed my mind a goodly number of times. Was hoping for the best. Glad to hear that it went well.
only awkward thing- took me a half hour to get to my truck though... embarrasingly limping thru the cleveland clinic with one shoe and one sock, the 1/4 mile or so to the parking deck... foot swelled up last night, by this afternoon couldnt walk with a shoe on- took it off when she got to her room, but by this evening, no way I could put a shoe on... certain its gout,
Gout! Has a lot to do with diet. This time of year, eating gets to be a big thing.
seen it before in my Dad/Uncle, lucky mines just one foot, in a toe i broke 30 years ago... feels exactly like that broken toe did- constantly, but every step feels like i just broke it again... i got a decent pain threshold, mostly laugh embarassed by not being able to walk, but sheesh, it kinda sux, baby steps on the side of the foot, still felt like the moment I dropped a 200 pound fixture on it years ago while not weariing steel toes...that sucked back then, on feet all day, 80 hrs a week, it was about 2 weeks of pretty agonizing fun, about another week where it was just really slowing walking but getting better, embarassing as heck, and no fun at all...
Hurting is no fun.
know youve been thru a bizillion times worse, hats off to those who can tune it out and keep moving...
Actually, "I" am not my body. My body is someone else. IT sweats and strains, IT aches and pains, and though "I" can sympathize, ITs aches and pains are not "mine", though I take it easy on making it do stuff when IT is hurting. Likewise, it doesn't feel what "I" feel when I'm not feeling good. Angst, worry, and etc. is mental, not physical.
Anyway, mamas doing great, just has to take it easy, and will be sore for a while, as this new CRT thing is twice the size of the old one, should be able to bring her home mid day tomorrow... i reluctantly gotta run to a statcare in the morning unless this foot goes down- figured would just take a couple days to clear up on its own, but then too read the crystals inflaming the joint can damage it if untreated...so best get it looked at, would prefer this don't come back. even driving home tonight touching the gas and brake was not fun in the least...
Tim, YOU have to take care of yourself. Do whatever is necessary to do that. If YOU don't do it, it won't get done.

Had a strange night. awakened about 10:00 p.m., and snapped to the fact that Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section had not been put back in place, and the Weather Guessers were predicting RAIN starting at 3:00 a.m. Came wide awake, got up and went down to put the Center Section in place so that Lorrie's Alternator, and front of the MIGHTY 225 Slant Six didn't get rained on. THEN COULDN'T GO BACK TO SLEEP! Got up and mistakenly made a cup of Sumatra Coffee... ZOW!!! It was a caffeine over-dose. Elevated blood pressure. Took a couple of hours for the "rush" to subside. Got to be more careful.

Didn't RAIN at 3:00 a.m., but it started at about 7:30 a.m. Today is going to be wasted.

NEXT part of the Caper is to put the Front Wheels on the Axles. Then get the Ramps under the Tires and let Lorrie down OFF of the Jack Stands, and onto the Ramps. Then back her off of the Ramps. Once she is level, will bleed the Front Brakes.

That whole procedure will take a couple of days to do. Am hoping the Engine and Transmission are all right. It has been some time, but not THAT much time since Lorrie's Engine has run. Will have to wait and see how it goes.

Anyway, glad the Paula Procedure went well. NOW it's time to get your foot fixed. Hope both YOU and Paula are on the mend, and back up and running quickly. Take care.

JC

·
Registered
246 Posts
JC,
got her home, and my foot is down to size and usable again, all is well :) shes gonna be sore for a while, this new one is about big as a pack of cigarettes, way bigger and more squared off than her old 3/8" thick oval shaped ICD was... shes already complaining about the big bump in her shoulder...

Back to Lorrie- think Jack mentioned about why not bleed with wheels off- I kinda agree, unless climbing in/out is too difficult, it would be easier access - but Lorries rear door is available right? one of those 'one man bleeder' hose/check valve deals would be really handy if you dont have one- no climbing up/down, propping pedals, etc... been there/done that... the check valve bleeders are infinitely easier.
you asked before about bleeding rears too- I dont think you will need to unless the one master reservoir drained fully while unhooked- hopefully the residual valves prevented that...even if the front brake reservoir went dry, might still not need bled- but seem to recall one car(maybe Bens?) where replacing fronts still required doing rears...not sure how, but seemed a bubble had to get in when the MC was empty on one side... if pedal not spongy after doing the fronts, I wouldnt be worried about messing with the rears...

hope your weather breaks soon- if you dont have a one man bleeder, might want to pick one up- https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Hydraulic-Brake-Bleeder-Tool/dp/B01GOSI44U/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=brake+bleeder+check&qid=1577558036&sr=8-16
your local parts store should have them on the shelf... i usually wrap some teflon tape on bleeder screw threads a few back from the tip- makes them easier to break loose years later, and prevents sucking air back in around the threads if using a one man bleeder...dunno if right or wrong, but made sense to me LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.