Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Sunday, June 30, 2019, Late-Late Afternoon Update:

As stated earlier, was going to take the rest of the day off, but that was fraudulent. Instead, got out the Electric Drill, and Wire Brush Wheel and proceeded to strip the Paint off of the Exterior of Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section. It all went pretty smoothly. There are some places that could use some touch-up, but for now, this will do.

The reason that I didn't take the rest of the day off was because the Weather Guessers are saying that it's going to Thunderstorm for the next three days, and I wanted to work indoors on fixing the Holes rusted in Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section.

BUT... In order to do THAT, all the Paint around the Rust Holes has to be removed. And if THAT Paint is going to be removed, it would be only right to remove ALL the Paint.

So that is what was done. There are JPGs of this part of the NEW Epoxy/Aluminum Foil Sandwich Caper.

Will be taking JPGs of the whole process as it is being done, but to start with, here are TWO JPGs of Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section sans the multiple layers of Paint that formerly coated its Exterior Surfaces.

Will, of course, keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 1, 2019, Morning Update:

Well, yesterday's effort to Clean&Strip Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section was not for naught, but the bit of over-doing was unnecessary, as the Weather Guessers were once again wrong about it going to Thunderstorm here to day. THAT has been postponed till tomorrow.

So this morning, first thing, will be getting out to the Clinic for the monthly Blood Test, and it will be home to have something to eat, a bit of a nap, and then we can start on the Expoxy/Aluminum Sandwich application.

Was up at 1:45 a.m., to shower and get cleaned up so as to not offend the Nurses at the Clinic. Am not feeling BAD, but am not feeling REALLY good either. Kind of overdone from pushing it a little yesterday. Slept pretty well, but today's nap will be VERY welcome.

Am going to have to do a better job off putting a Tarp over Lorrie's OPEN Center Section. What was done ORIGINALLY was a rush job because it started raining and putting the Tarp OVER the Center Section was done all right, but could be done better. Have found a NEW piece of Plastic Sheeting, and am going to hold it in place with Duct Tape.

Am looking forward eagerly to doing what is going to be done. Am estimating that the first part of the Caper is about half way finished.

So now the Weather Guessers are saying Thunderstorms tomorrow, and Wednesday. We'll just have to wait and see.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 2, 2019, Morning Update:

Yesterday was a TOTAL bust! After being out for a Blood Test, taking a Prescription to the Pharmacy, doing some grocery shopping, got home, and found that all my "get up and go", had "got up and went".

Decided to just see if I couldn't get rested up.

Didn't sleep very well last night, but am having to get out and about again this morning to the Post Office for Utility Bills, pick up Meds at the Pharmacy, get some groceries that were forgotten yesterday, have some Insurance Documents printed out, cancel the OLD Insurance, and get a roll of Duct Tape at the SAYCO Hardware.

If there is any Energy&Focus left upon returning home, will work on Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section.

DID get one thing done yesterday on Lorrie: Removed the Tarp covering the open area between Lorrie's Deck Plate Fenders, and got it put into her Cargo Bay. Then put a single piece of Plastic Sheeting over the Opening which can just be pulled up to do the fitting of the Sheet Metal Center Section.

Want to install the Grille in the Sheet Metal Center Section with Pop Rivets, and will then do the Epoxy/Aluminum Foil Sandwich repair.

The Weather Guessers have modified their predictions yet again. WAS supposed to rain on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Then it was changed to Tuesday, and Wednesday. Today it has changed to just late Wednesday. Will have to wait and see what the REALITY will be.

Everything happens when it's supposed to happen. Will keep you all updated, if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 4, 2019, Mid-Afternoon Update:

Got Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section out on the Bench in the shade, and figured the place to start was to make a JPG Survey of all the RUSTED Holes&Places that are going to get the Epoxy/Aluminum Foil Sandwich Treatment. The JPGs are below. They need no explanation, other than to say that all the JPGs are of the INTERIOR of the Sheet Metal Center Section. Once they are processed, will have to do the EXTERIOR of the Sheet Metal Center Section.

Once everything is done, and let to cure overnight, will then be giving the INTERIOR multiple coats of Flat Black Self Etching Primer, and the EXTERIOR a single coat of Herculiner Bed Liner.

There WILL be some more trimming work that needs doing, and will have JPGs of THAT when the time comes.

So for now, it Hi Ho, Hi Ho... Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 4, 2019, After-Afternoon Update:

Got the first two layers of Aluminum Foil applied. The Epoxy is curing even as this is being typed. Have some JPGs of how it looks so far. It is coming along nicely. Have two more layers to apply, and the second layer will be burnished down so that it will be a bit smoother looking than what is shown in these three JPGs:

Will keep you updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coosawjack said:
YOU ARE A "MACHINE" JC.
Sometimes I wonder.
very innovative.....GREAT SALVAGE APPROACH!! :eek:
And it won't rust any more.
Does the Aluminum Foil come off after the Epoxy cures?? :-\
No, with four layers of Aluminum Foil, and four layers of Epoxy, it is about as thick as 12 Gauge Sheet Metal. Gets hard, and when painted looks fine.

The Exterior will be done the same, but IT is going to have a coat of Herculiner Bed Liner, which is quite roughly textured. Should look really "TOUGH"!

The Herculiner is FLAT BLACK.

The Diamond Deck Plate Bumpers and Fenders will be GLOSS BLACK.

It will all look like "NO NONSENSE"!

Anyway, time to take my meds and put me on the couch.

Take care.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 6, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Got the paint on Lorrie's Windshield to Hood Interstice stripped of Paint with the angle Grinder, and Flap Wheel.

Then got three layers of Epoxy&Aluminum Foil applied. JPGs below.

The first one is of a gap in the Sheet Metal at the base of the center of the Windshield Panels.

The next Three are of the Aluminum Foil applied. There were holes, and a Gap where the Sheet Metal overlaps. Those have all be covered, and with the Herculiner Bed Liner over the Aluminum Foil, there will be no more rust holes, nor gaps into which moisture can seep.

It's already quite warm already, and the sunlight is shining right where Lorrie's work area is located. Am thinking that I'm going to go give Ms. American's Electrical Connects some attention since she is in the Shade of her Car Port.

Anyway, am not feeling all that well this morning, but am going to power through.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey All,
Sunday, July 7, 2019, Morning Update:

Am set to give Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section's INTERIOR, and the EXTERIOR of the Flanges to which the Grille is to be Pop Riveted a first coat of Self Etching Primer.

Once it is dry, will C-Clamp the Sheet Metal Center Section to the opening between Lorrie's Diamond Deck Plate Fenders.

Will, locate, center-punch, and drill the Pop Rivet Holes in Lorrie's Grille, then Pop Rivet it to the Sheet Metal Center Section with just a few Pop Rivets to hold it in place. Have only a few Pop Rivets left, but a NEW supply is supposed to be here on Tuesday, July 9, 2019. In any case, the Grille will be properly positioned.

Next step will be the application of the Epoxy&Auminum Foil over the EXTERIOR bend of the Sheet Metal Center Section.

Have ordered a pair of Hood Hold Down Pin Assemblies, which are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (July 8, 2019). Have tentatively figured out how the Sheet Metal Center Section will be secured in place: The TOP will have TABS that fit down into the Structural Members at the TOP of the Center Section Opening. Then there will be ANGLE Brackets Bolted to the Frame Rails to which the Hood Hold Down Pins will be attached. Those Pins will go through the BOTTOM of the Sheet Metal Center Section in the appropriate locations, and the Pins will hold the WHOLE Assembly securely in place.

Have a supply of NYLON Strapping here on the Shelf. Will be Epoxying it to the Flanges where the Sheet Metal Center Sections meet the Flanges of the Open Center Area between the Diamond Deck Plate Fenders. This will seal the Sheet Metal Center Section's Edges from Water, and also prevent Rattles.

Am going to have to be getting out and about in Ms. American a bit later, as am almost out of Milk, and other vitals.

The Weather Guessers are predicting cooler temperatures for today, and NO rain.

Am feeling a bit better than yesterday, and will be working till it's either too HOT, or till the Energy&Focus has waned.

Slept reasonably well last night, and seem to be energetic enough to be able to finish the Epoxy/Aluminum Foil Sandwich Caper, AND the fabrication of the Sheet Metal Center Section in time for the arrival next Wednesday of the Herculiner Bed Liner.

Am planning on getting Lorrie's FRONT END COMPLETELY done before starting on the Removal of her Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box. That is dependent on the arrival of the Pitman Arm Puller which is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, July, 9, 2019.

Scheduling all this to arrive "JIT" (Just In Time) has turned out to be mostly right on. All is going along reasonably well, and am pleased with the results so far. Barring any unforeseen contingencies, Lorrie will be UP&RUNNING right up until we are ready to start removing her Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box.

The PLAN A for that, is to get the UNIT uninstalled, and hopefully sent off to Lares Corp for rebuilding.

While THAT is being done, Lorrie, being immobile, will then have her Herculiner Bed Liner Paint Job proceeding. It's going to take prepping the Surfaces. The Front will already be done. Am thinking that the next part will be the Roof.

From previous experience in applying Herculiner Bed Liner, all the EDGES are done first with a Brush, and then the Area inside the EDGES are done with a Texturing Roller.

There are the areas that do NOT get Herculiner applied. Those surfaces are going to be either Rattle Can Gloss Black, or Gloss Black brush-on.

Hopefully, Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box will arrive back, and be re-installable. Whether that happens BEFORE or AFTER the Herculiner Paint Job is finished it irrelevant.

So all in all, everything is progressing satisfactorily.

Take care everyone

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
You're moving right along JC and everything you wrote was perfect except......."Tuesday, July 9, 2019" is actually "Saturday, July 9, 2019" in "JC LAND"!! 8) ;)

Get some rest today and have some fun with Ms. American today!! :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coosawjack said:
You're moving right along JC and everything you wrote was perfect except......."Tuesday, July 9, 2019" is actually "Saturday, July 9, 2019" in "JC LAND"!! 8) ;)
Hey Jack,
Actually, the people who are sending, and the people who are delivering the Pitman Arm Puller don't live in "JC LAND"! And I don't want to mess with their schedule. They think it's going to get here on Tuesday. As soon as it gets here, it will be Saturday again.
Get some rest today and have some fun with Ms. American today!! :)
Got ready to go out in Ms. American, and didn't have to use the Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke. Just Keyed the Starter, and off we went. Post Office. Grocery Store. Circle K for Milk. Then HOME.
Ms. American is running the BEST EVER. Cleaning all the Electrical Connections yesterday worked WONDERS.

By the time we got home, it was too HOT to be out. So have gotten everything arranged for doing the Epoxy/Aluminum Foil tomorrow morning.

Then took a TWO hour nap.

Neighbor Robert was just here. Had the Alternator off of his Dodge Van. It is locked up. Needed to get the Pulley off. Couldn't get the NUT loose with a Breaker Bar. Used the Impact Wrench, and it came right off. He's off to see if he can replace the Bearings. He's relying on YouTube for help.

Anyway, have been spiffing the place up. Got the Kitchen straightened around. Washed and Dried the Laundry. Need to go fold it, and put it away. So all seems to be well, albeit SLOW.

Take care.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
Actually, the people who are sending, and the people who are delivering the Pitman Arm Puller don't live in "JC LAND"! And I don't want to mess with their schedule. They think it's going to get here on Tuesday. As soon as it gets here, it will be Saturday again.

^^^PRICELESS!!^^ ;D

Glad you and Ms. American are doing so well.......GOOD LUCK with "Epoxy Sammiches"........off to MUSC shortly!! ;)

Have a good one!! 8)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 8, 2019, Early-Mid-Morning Update:

Got Karel, the Craftsman Riding Lawn Tractor serviced, and fueled, and was done mowing the lawns by 6:30 a.m. (MY TIME (I don't do daylight savings time because it confuses the Felines)). Am all set up to Epoxy/Aluminum Foil Lorrie Van Haul's EXTERIOR Bend on the Sheet Metal Center Section before it gets to be too HOT.

Will have JPGs of the finished product.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 8, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Got the Epoxy/Aluminum Foil applied to the EXTERIOR Bend of Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section. Also covered the interstice between the Grille's TOP EDGE and the Sheet Metal Center Section. This is going to, after it is Herculinered, look as if it is all just one BIG PIECE.

The Epoxy is curing even as this is being typed.

There are a couple of JPGs below showing how it came out.

It's time for me to go fix something to eat, and then am going to take a bit of a break, as there has been a LOT of Energy&Focus expended in a relatively short time.

Anyway, things are moving pretty quickly here, and seem to be going AMAZINGLY well. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Stay COOL.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, July 8, 2019, Late Afternoon Update:

After mowing the Lawns this morning, noticed that the underside of the Blade Deck had Grass stuck to it because the Lawns still had DEW on them when we mowed. Decided that THAT was not a good condition to let sit, so got out the Garden Hose with the High Pressure Nozzle on it, and washed all the Grass off of the UNDERSIDE of the Blade Deck. Then let it sit to dry in the 91 degree air.

Had to then put the Plastic&Tarp over Karel, the Craftsman Riding Lawn Tractor.

When I went out to do THAT, there on Karel was a Yellow Package containing the Lisle Brand Pitman Arm Puller, and a pair of Spectre Performance Chrome Hood Pins from Amazon.

Both items turned out to be EXACTLY what is needed.

Got Karel covered. While out, checked on the Epoxy&Aluminum Foil on Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section, and it is totally cured.

So tomorrow morning while it's cool enough to be out, will be continuing the fabrication of Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section.

Here is the list of what needs be done:

Need to line the Flanges of the Sheet Metal Center Section with NYLON STRAP. It will be Epoxied (but not with the Epoxy used with the Aluminum Foil). This will be the kind of Epoxy that comes in the Double Syringe Tube. It will be mixed, applied, and the NYLON STRAP installed on it, with a piece of aluminum to C-Clamp it down till it is cured. Will be doing it in FIVE SECTIONS: The HORIZONTAL Top Flange; the Port&Starboard SLANTED Flanges; and the Port&Starboard VERTICAL Flanges.

Once the Epoxy is CURED, will trim it with the HOT KNIFE in the Soldering Gun.

Have to Drill the Port&Starboard LOWER Corners of the Sheet Metal Center Section for the Chrome Hood Pins.

Have to drill the Port&Starboard Frame Rails to accept the ANGLES that will HOLD the Chrome Hood Pins. Then will have to INSTALL the Chrome Hood Pins. After looking at the Hood Pins, this may be trickier than first imagined. Will just have to wait and see. Will have JPGs of this installation.

Need to cut the MYSTERY METAL STRAP to make the TABS that will go into the Vertical Structural Members which will hold the TOP of Lorrie's Sheet Metal Center Section. Will have to cut the Vertical Structural Members just right to make this all fit. Will then have to locate where to drill the Holes for the Pop Rivets to hold the TABS to the TOP of the Sheet Metal Center Section. Will have JPGs of this.

The Lisle Pitman Arm Puller is a pretty heavy duty piece of equipment. Not at all COMPLEX. Should work well, if it fits. Will have to wait and see if it does.

All of this will take TWO to THREE days, and by then the Herculiner Bed Liner should have been delivered and we will be able to start applying it to the Front of Lorrie.

And during this time, we will begin the extraction of the Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Manual Steering Gear Box, and if everything goes well, will be sending it off to Lares Corp for REBUILDING.

AND... HAVE SOME EXCITING NEWS... Looked at when my Driver's License expires, without taking it out of the wallet. I saw that it was going to expire on 01/30/20. That's my next birthday, just seven months away. Was concerned that maybe I couldn't pass the Eye Test because of having a microscopic hole in the Macula of my Left Eye which makes a SMALL BLACK SPOT right where I'm looking, but NOT around it. Still, THAT might make it to where I couldn't pass the Eye Exam.

So last week, I ordered a NEW pair of Stetson Brand Frames (just like the ones that are already here), with the intention of making an appointment to have an Eye Exam, and get NEW Lenses for the NEW Stetson Frames. Then would have the Ophthalmologist write a letter saying that not being able to see only THAT at which I am looking directly, doesn't affect my ability to see the world. My Right Eye is fine.

So today, it occurred to me that maybe I should look up the Department of Motor Vehicles Web Site, and see EXACTLY what the situation is. It said that my last License Renewal was 2017, and was for SIX years. Got the Wallet, and took the License out, and it says that it will expire on 01/30/2023!!! So instead of having only SEVEN Months left, I have THREE Years, and SEVEN Months. That took a load of worry off of my mind, at least for a while.

Anyway, things are moving along pretty steadily. What has to be done isn't difficult, just time consuming. In the meantime, Ms. American has gotten to be a sweetheart again.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Time for Meds and Bed. Take care everyone.

JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.