Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
It finally became time to begin building the Platform on which Lorrie Van Haul's Front Suspension will (hopefully) be rebuilt. Here are the JPGs of THAT beginning.

First thing was to use he Leaf Blower to clean all the Fall Leaves off of the Pavement. Then the next thing was to position the 1/2" X 4'-0" X 8'-0" Plywood in front of Lorrie. It had to be positioned running North&South to be able to get The Engine Bay Bridge (TEBB) to be able to straddle it.

Once the Plywood was in position, the 8'-0" long 2X4s (see First JPG of one of the 2X4s) were placed under each edges, and a single Screw (see Second JPG) was installed at each Corner to hold the 2X4s in place (see Third JPG).

Then the distance between the TWO Long 2X4s was measured. It turned out to be 3'-9.125". TWO Pieces of 2X4 were cut that length, and installed at each end. They too were held in place by a single Screw at each corner, while LONG Deck Screws were driven in through the Long 2X4s into the ends of the Shorter 2X4s (see Fourth JPG).

The Frame is now attached to the Plywood, and is ready to be Screwed down completely around the Perimeter of the 4'-0" X 8'-0" Plywood with Screws being placed 16" on center. But before doing that, am going to attempt to lift the Platform using TEBB to lift the North End a place it on one of the Saw Horses seen in the First JPG. Will then lift the South End by hand and place the OTHER Saw Horse under it, so that the installation of the Perimeter Screws can be done without having to get down&up on the Pavement.

Will have JPGs of that condition when it (hopefully) happens later today.

Am having to get out to the Bank because after a bit of a fiasco with Lowe's over the Lumber, have come up with a $96.00 discrepancy in the Account Balance. Also need to get to the Post Office, to the Pharmacy, and to the Grocery Store.

Now that we have hopefully gotten rid of all the rusty junk here on RCC, I can safely start posting daily updates again without offending Ms. American.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Anyway, take care all.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 28, 2019 Morning Update:

This morning will find the Platform being drilled for the installation of some HEAVY Lag Screws on each side, and each end to serve as places to which can be attached Rope in order to lift the the Platform using TEBB.

The Platform needs to be set on EDGE so that TWO 2X4 Stringers running lengthwise INSIDE the 2X4 Frame can be installed. The method to install the Stringers is SIMPLE to do, but DIFFICULT to describe. But a couple of JPGs of it in process will reveal the methodology.

There will also be some Cross Stringers cut and installed. Those Cross Stringers will figure importantly in the methodology of the installing of the above mentioned Stringers.

Once those Stringers are installed the Platform will be set Right-Side-Up on the Saw Horses, and the Plywood screwed to the Frame, Stringers, and Cross Stringers. This is the project for the day.

We're coming to a time when intermittent Thunderstorms generally roam the area, and so am going to be getting the Plastic and Canvas Tarps out of Lorrie's Rear Cargo Bay to be able to cover Lorrie Van Haul's Front Axle Assembly, AND the Platform to keep it from being assaulted by the Elements.

Also, became apprehensive about the little dinky Plastic Saw Horses that were gotten from Amazon Prime, and so have ordered a couple of METAL Saw Horses that should be more substantial. Amazon says that they have shipped, and are scheduled to arrive next Monday.

Am debating whether to get a 5'-0" X 9'-0" piece of All Weather Carpet with which to cover the Platform. It would be nice to have. Would add to the aesthetics of the JPGs that will be taken of the disassembly/re-assembly of the King Pin Complex on each end of Lorrie's Front Axle.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Take care everyone.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coosawjack said:
GOOD LUCK today JC....sounds like you have it all figgered out!! ;) :)
Hey Jack... Not so sure! This Come-Along Thing is REALLY strange. It has TWO Ratchet Pawls that have to be pressed to release the Notched Wheel on which the Cable with the Hook on it is attached. BUT, there's no way to hold both of them OPEN and be able to PULL the Cable OUT.

Well, when all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Got out the little TWO Sheet (Folded&Stapled) Instructions.

Turns out the Hook on the Cable is apparently NOT supposed to be attached to what one wants to lift!

It's supposed to be connected to the Hook on the Gantry, which permits one to hold down EACH of the TWO Ratchet Pawls, while pulling on the Mechanism which lets the Cable out.

Then the Mechanism is connected to what one wants to lift, and the Lever is activated. The Cable begins to wind UP on the Notched Wheel, and whatever the Mechanism is attached to will be moved.

All Right... Gave THAT a TRY, and sure enough. the Cable would unwind from the Notched Wheel. So pulled it out far enough to reach the Platform Corner which had been drilled, and a LARGE Lag Screw had been installed, and started to actuate the Lever. Sure enough, the Corner of the Platform began to rise.

Finally got the Mechanism UP as far as it would go.

In the Crane Industry, when a Cable has gone as far as it would go, THAT is called being "Two-Blocked".

Well the Mechanism is UP as far as it will go. The problem is that if the Platform is standing on edge straight up. There's no tension on the Cable, and the Hook just comes off of the Lag Screw.

The solution to THAT is to move the Bottom of the Platform to where it isn't right UNDER the Hook, which makes it LEAN against the tension of the Hook&Cable, and it hold it there all right.

So that's where we are at the moment.

Have access to the Under Side of the Platform and am going to have to co some calculations to figure out WHERE to put the Stringers, and their Cross Bracing.

Am just taking a break, and will be taking JPGs of this situation as the NEXT thing to do.

This is NOT the way it was visualized. It's completely UP-SIDE-DOWN to the way it was thought to work.

AND... I'm not sure that it's supposed to be the way it is.

"WHY do I say that", you might ask... It's because there are Finger Notches on the LEVER that are UP-SIDE-DOWN to what they should be when actuating the Lever.

It seems to me that the Lever should be pulled UP to lift the load. But one is having to pull DOWN on the Lever to lift the load, and to pull DOWN on the Lever, the Finger Notches are on the OTHER SIDE of the Lever.

Am going to see if it can be figured out properly, but at least for NOW, the Under-Side of the Platform is accessible, and the Stringers can be put in place, even IF the setup seems to be 180 degrees from the way it was visualized.

This may or may not be a very good account of what is going on, but when the JPGs are made, it'll be understandable.

Anyway, need something to eat.

JC

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds right to me if I'm visualizing it right!! :)

Pulling down would be easier than pulling up since your weight and gravity help out.....finger notches are probably there for gripping the lever and pushing it down.....am I confused as usual JC?? :-\

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coosawjack said:
Sounds right to me if I'm visualizing it right!! :) Pulling down would be easier than pulling up since your weight and gravity help out.....finger notches are probably there for gripping the lever and pushing it down.
Hey Jack, It's a VERY Complex piece of equipment. One has to coordinate a bunch of stuff to do in just the right sequence to get it to do what is needed. Haven't yet got the hang of it, but at least it did what it was supposed to do, but as the doing of it wasn't all THAT coordinated, it was slow, arduous, tenuous, and trepidation inducing. The other thing is that it has the ability to BITE really hard if given the chance. So am wearing heavy work gloves, even though the stuff that is supposed to be done is somewhat delicate.
am I confused as usual JC?? :-\
Have never considered you as being confused. But there is going to have to be some PRACTICING with this Come-Along to get it to operate expeditiously.

And there is another problem with it. I think it is of Chinese origin, and the instructions are an English translation of the ORIGINAL Chinese. Used to have that problem with the TV equipment. It was all SONY. And the operating manuals were English translations of Japanese documents.

Anyway, have an update to write, and JPGs of the days effort. Watch for it.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All,
Have written the update, attached the JPGs, and have tried to send the post, but get a message that the RCC site is either not working or has permanently moved.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 28, 2019, Early Evening Update:

Got the Platform framed, and partially screwed down. Have one end of it on one of the rather flimsy Saw Horses, but it seems to be sturdy enough. Was going to just put one end on one of the Saw Horses, and then hand lift the other end with one hand and put the OTHER Saw Horse under it with the other hand. Couldn't budge the damned thing. I don't remember 2X4s, and 1/2" Plywood being this heavy!

So what is going to be done is tomorrow am going to have TEBB straddle the Platform and get walked to the South End, and lift it with the Come-Along, and put the Saw Horse under it. Then will finish screwing the Plywood to the 2X4 Frame. Have already done the North End, and the East Side.

Then heard some thunder off to the South, so decided to pack it in for the day. Put the SkilDrill, the Hitachi Screw Gun, the Come-Along, the SkilSaw, the Framing Square, the Screws, and stuff away, and then decided to get the Plastic&Tarp under which Ms. American used to live out of Lorrie's Rear Cargo Bay Door, only to find that when I painted it with Herculiner Bed Liner that some of the Bed Liner got under the Door Gasket, and couldn't get the Back Door open!

Got out a Putty Knife and freed the Door from the Gasket. Got the Tarp&Plastic out and put it on the Platform. So all the JPGs below are sequential. They need no explanation as this is just a 2X4 frame, with a 1/2" sheet of Plywood on it, sitting with its North End on a Saw Horse, and covered with a plastic&canvas Tarp.

It has been a pretty good day. I'm a little fatigued, but it feels good. Will feel even better when am relaxing in a reclining position.

Anyway, am going to post the JPGs, and then just sit here till it's time to feed the felines, take my meds, and head for bed. Take care everyone.

JC

AM OMITTING THE JPGS.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey All, here are the JPGs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More JPGs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More JPGs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 29, 2019, Morning Update:

Today's agenda includes making up a number of Lifting Slings with which to lift the Platform onto the Saw Horses with TEBB. Have already installed FOUR Large Lag Screws with Large Washers on them (to keep whatever is used to lift the Platform from slipping off the Lag Screws), at each Corner of the Platform.

Have a length of heavy Rope with which am going to make Loop Ends large enough to go over the large Washers.

Will Epoxy the Rope Loops, and wrap them with Twine, and then Epoxy the Twine so that the Loops will not un-loop. Will make the Slings long enough to be able to reach the Hook on the Come-Along above the Center of the Platform. Will also be making a smaller Sling that will be just the right length to be used to lift just one End of the Platform.

Am awaiting arrival of a couple more Saw Horses (these are metal instead of plastic). They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Am going to be getting some All Weather Carpet for the Platform, and will be installing it OVER Plastic Sheeting on the Platform so that the Plywood will not get wet even if the All Weather Carpet DOES get wet.

Still have to finish using Deck Screws to fasten the Plywood to the 2X4 Frame, and can hopefully do that once the Platform is up on the Saw Horses.

We should be able to FINALLY get Lorrie Van Haul's Front Axle up on the Platform some time next week.

Am eager to see if it will come apart easily, and if it doesn't, it will be interesting to see what HAS to be done to get it disassembled.

Once we have it apart, measuring everything (such as the King Pins, and Ball Joint Rod Ends) will have to be done in order to acquire the requisite parts needed for re-assembly. We're STILL going to have to fabricate a NEW Drag Link.

Will have JPGs if the RCC Word Processor will let them be posted. Yesterday, tried to post nine JPGs in one post and kept getting the message that the RCC Website could not be reached. That's the reason that the three post above had only three JPGs on each post.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Hope you're all having a GREAT what's left of the weekend. Take care everyone.

JC

·
Registered
246 Posts
just caught your update, glad to see moving along- hadn't thought about you mentioned the new sawhorses being flimsy- glad you decide to beef them up :)
carpeting over plastic to protect the wood-couple comments, careful with the carpet sliding- years ago made what my son called a 'flight deck'- just carpet over ply that fit snugly in the bed of the truck, with cheep drawer handle and corner bracket 'cleats' screwed onto to keep model airplanes strapped by the landing gear, and flite box nestled in corner cleats, just so stuff wouldnt slide...anyway, i had put plastic but the carpet wanted to slide, getting bunched up between the cleats when sliding the box around on it pulled it back off, just watersealed the ply and stapled the carpet back on...was surprised taking the plastic off to find it actually wet underneath- and hadnt been rained on- suspect the little bit of leaks around tonneau cover let a little moisture under the ply, and it just collected and condensed under the plastic? anyways, just tossing that out there...for as long as needed either way im sure its fine- i was just surprised how wet it got under the plastic...still have that board- although for the last ten years its been usually found with a slot car/train track screwed on it, sitting on our pool table that never got played... man how fime flies

edit- on the horses being narrower than the top platform- long as platform secured to the sawhorse tops, might consider screwing a 2x4 at the ground/across one of the inside legs, wide as the platform minus a toe kick, just  to prevent tipping if too much stuff gets placed off center (or a couple temporary drop legs in the corners)...just a thought

on the ropes- I was never a boyscout, but our youngest was- gotta say last couple years learning a few knots was GREAT- and easier than some of the old ways of wrapping knots- learned a few that have come in handy :)

hope you are having fun and have a great day :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ford4v429 said:
just caught your update, glad to see moving along- hadn't thought about you mentioned the new sawhorses being flimsy- glad you decide to beef them up :)
Hey Tim, the Plastic Saw Horses seem to be sturdy enough in compression, but you can lever something up onto them because they just move or tip over. All they can do is support something that is put straight down on them.
carpeting over plastic to protect the wood-couple comments, careful with the carpet sliding-
Was planning on stapling/tacking it down.
Years ago made what my son called a 'flight deck'- just carpet over ply that fit snugly in the bed of the truck, with cheep drawer handle and corner bracket 'cleats' screwed onto to keep model airplanes strapped by the landing gear, and flite box nestled in corner cleats, just so stuff wouldnt slide...anyway, i had put plastic but the carpet wanted to slide, getting bunched up between the cleats when sliding the box around on it pulled it back off, just watersealed the ply and stapled the carpet back on...was surprised taking the plastic off to find it actually wet underneath- and hadnt been rained on- suspect the little bit of leaks around tonneau cover let a little moisture under the ply, and it just collected and condensed under the plastic?
Was planning on wrapping the Plastic and Carpet down the sides of the 2X4s, and tacking them on the under side of the 2X4.
Was plann anyways, just tossing that out there...for as long as needed either way im sure its fine- i was just surprised how wet it got under the plastic...
That shouldn't happen the way it's been visualized.
still have that board- although for the last ten years its been usually found with a slot car/train track screwed on it, sitting on our pool table that never got played... man how time flies.
Like the frog said: "Times fun when you're having flies."
edit- on the horses being narrower than the top platform- long as platform secured to the sawhorse tops, might consider screwing a 2x4 at the ground/across one of the inside legs, wide as the platform minus a toe kick, just to prevent tipping if too much stuff gets placed off center (or a couple temporary drop legs in the corners)...just a thought
See what you are saying. Might make four 4X4 legs that would pivot up/down, and make it to where it could be free standing like a TABLE! Never can tell when it might be needed again. The 4X4 legs would eliminate having to use Saw Horses.
on the ropes- I was never a boyscout, but our youngest was- gotta say last couple years learning a few knots was GREAT- and easier than some of the old ways of wrapping knots- learned a few that have come in handy :)
When working as a sign painter, there was a knot that was made to hold the Ladders on the Rack of a Truck. It could be tied in series, and was able to make a rope tight enough to bend a ladder if one wasn't careful.
hope you are having fun and have a great day :)
Have decided that today will be CLEAN OUT LORRIE DAY. Get all the Tools, Equipment, Materials, and Stuff out so that tomorrow we start with a clean slate. Will let you know how it goes.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey All,
Sunday, September 29, 2019, Afternoon Update:

Little excitement for a change... Was sitting here checking the E-Mail when I heard a LOUD BANG! Thought: "What the hell was THAT?" Got up, put on a T-Shirt, and went to the door.

The little flimsy Saw Horse rated at 500 lbs that had one end of the Platform on it had collapsed from the weight of one end of a sheet of 1/2" Plywood and six 2X4s!

Got this REALLY sickie feeling. Thought: "Oh NO! "What if my outdoor Cat (Roslimbeo, see JPG) was under there?" It most certainly would have squashed him if he was under one of the 2X4s. Got my gloves, a Block of Wood, and a 2X4 about 4'-0" long, and levered the Platform up, and looked underneath, but couldn't see anything.

Had moved TEBB so that Karel the Riding Lawn Tractor could be gotten out so that we could mow the Lawns later today. Had to move TEBB back over the Platform. Then got the Come-Along, and hooked it up between TEBB, and one of Lag Screws in the Corner of the Platform, and was feverishly lifting the Platform, expecting the worst, when of a sudden Roslimbeo came sauntering by!

Whew!

He gave me this look like: "What's all the fuss?"

Once the Platform was up, got the remnants of the flimsy plastic Saw Horse out from under the Platform. It is toast! One of the locking mechanism that keeps the legs spread broke at a pivot point. Am feeling a bit sad about it, but not as sad as I would have felt had Roslimbeo been under there.

Glad that UPS has given me an E-Mail saying that the NEW Metal Saw Horses will be here tomorrow.

But now I have the mate of the Saw Horse whose partner was killed in an industrial accident sitting all alone.

Oh well, glad Roslimbeo wasn't near when the Platform came down. Glad I wasn't near it too. Glad that Lorrie's Axle wasn't on the Platform. That's the most excitement we've had around here in years! The last time there was this much excitement was when a SWAT team showed up and busted a Meth Lab right across the street.

Those were some strange people. The guy was a skinny, bald headed dude. And his woman was a VERY foxy red-head, with big bazooms. One Friday evening, she came across to where I was working on Ms. American, and introduced herself. She said she had just gotten off work, and she wanted to get drunk and stoned and make mad passionate love all night, and asked if I was busy? I said "No." She said: "Great! Could you watch my dog?"

Anyway, the day has been spent mostly getting Tools, Equipment, Materials, and Stuff out of Lorrie, and put away. Will be able to start tomorrow with a cleaned up work area.

Still have to clean Karel, the Craftsman Lawn Tractor's Spark Plug, and mow the lawns this evening.

Anyway, came in to cool down from all the excitement. Am cool enough now. Am going to put on a dry T-Shirt, and continue the cleaning up.

Take care everyone.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 30, 2019, Morning Update:

UPS has sent an Update E-Mail saying that the Metal Saw Horses are to be here today. Also, ford4V429 has ordered some stuff for Lorrie and ME, and some of it will supposedly arrive today, and some tomorrow. The Platform is presently hanging on the Come Along by one corner attached to TEBB. Depending on a number of things, am going to be getting a piece of Carpet with which to cover a Sheet of Plastic that will go on TEBB.

But first, need to get the Platform on edge to finish putting the Deck Screws in the Stringer, and Cross Stringers.

Then have to get it to where it will be for the remainder of the Lorrie Van Haul Front Axle Rebuild Caper, up on the NEW Metal Saw Horses to finish putting the Deck Screws on the Perimeter 2X4s, the Stringer 2X4s, and the Cross Stringer 2X4s.

Once that is done will staple the Plastic Sheeting on, and cover it with the All Weather Carpet.

When ALL that is finished, the preparation Capers will all have been done.

It seems that all the prep that had to be done (getting the Axle out from under Lorrie, erecting the TEBB, building the Platform, getting the Lifting System figured out, and etc.) has been as big, if not bigger a job than will be the actual rebuilding of the Front Axle Assembly.

Am still going to have to figure out how to block Lorrie's Front Axle so that it is in a position to work on it.

Another MAJOR part of this Caper is the cleaning of all the Components (U-Bolts, Shock Absorber Brackets, Tie Rod, and etc.) so that they are like NEW, then Painting everything.

We're going to be getting NEW Shock Absorbers, Wheel Cylinder, Brake Shoes, and Tie Rod/Drag Link Ball Joint Ends, and that will be tough in itself because of Lorrie's unusual connections specified by the Government when ordering this Fleet of Post Office Vehicles.

Have to say though, that everything is pretty well organized, the process is sequential, and the only thing that might hinder the progress is the contingencies such as the Plastic Saw Horse collapsing yesterday. One cannot KNOW when stuff like that is going to happen. The thing is that when something like THAT happens, one has to just deal with it.

Weather is supposed to be very cooperative for the foreseeable future, and provisions to protect everything are in place should the weather intervene in mix.

And even if work on Lorrie's Front Axle NEEDS to progress steadily, there is still the DAILY maintenance (taking care of the Felines, the House, the Landscaping, Ms. American, the Health Issue processes, and etc.) that has to be kept in some semblance of order.

Will have a blood test tomorrow with a subsequent trip to the Pharmacy, and then on Wednesday another trip to the Pharmacy to pick up the Meds, and get a few Items from the Grocery Store.

Then on Thursday, the Bank accounts will need attention.

So is isn't as if we're going to be able to back off and just let time flow.

Fortunately, there seems to be an eager motivation flowing here, and am looking forward to each thing that needs to be done.

It used to be that I ran the Hobby. It has gotten NOW to where the Hobby is running ME!

Anyway, it's time to feed the felines, and get on with the day. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 30, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Have gotten TEBB into position, and got the Platform almost where it should be. Almost, because it is suspended from just ONE Corner because there is not a Sling that will attach to TWO Corners, so that the Come Along can Pick it up in the Middle.

What happens is that if the Platform is put into the EXACT RIGHT POSITION, it moves TEBB. If then TEBB is pushed back to the RIGHT POSITION, the Platform follows.

The dynamics of handling a load such as this has turned out to be VERY complex.

We just don't have all the Equipment we NEED.

Am going to be spending some time making a Rope Sling. It involves making a Rope with Loops at each end, and another Loop in the EXACT Center. The End Loops will fit over the Lag Screws at the Corners, and the Come Along will lift the Center Loop. That way, when TEBB is moved, the Platform will follow. That is how the Platform is positioned. One doesn't move the Platform because it is too heavy. That's the job or TEBB.

About the Rope Ends. They will be Loops that will be epoxied, then bound with Nylon Twine, and then epoxied again. Have made this kind of connection to the Corners of Ms. American Canvas Tarp. They are MOTHER strong.

Have just had a BUNCH of E-Mails from UPS saying they're delivering a BUNCH of Stuff, among which is the Metal Saw Horses. So once the Rope Sling is made, we'll be able to put the Platform up on them, and then finish putting the Deck Screws through the Plywood into the 2X4 Frame.

While moving everything around, had the opportunity to finish putting the long Deck Screws into the 2X4 Stringers, and Cross Stringers. Have to say that the Platform is rather STURDY. Holding the weight of Lorrie Van Haul's Front Axle won't be a strain for it whatsoever.

Am thinking that once the Platform is up on the Metal Saw Horses, that we should acquire some 4X4s long enough to reach from just under the Plywood to the Pavement. Like Legs on a Table. That way, if the Metal Saw Horses collapse (which I don't think they will), the Platform will be held up by the 4X4 Legs.

Am going to be getting out tomorrow for Blood Tests, and Prescriptions, and am going to get Carpet for the Platform. Have decided to use the Plastic VizQueen that used to cover Ms. American (before she got her Car Port), between the Plywood and the Carpet to waterproof the Platform's Plywood. Then will use Ms. American's Canvas Tarp over Lorrie's Front Axle when it isn't being worked on.

We're finally getting to the point of having everything set up. Whew!

Was going to get all the Carpet that was put down on the Pavement when Lorrie's Axle was being extracted. Alas, it is being firmly held down by the Jack Stands that are holding Lorrie up. So have decided to just fold the Carpet back under Lorrie's Front End to get it out of the way. It is hard for TEBB to roll over the Carpet.

Anyway, it's time to have something to eat, and then make the Rope Sling, watch for the UPS Deliveryman, and rest from having to mess with the Come Along this morning. BTW, have to say that the Come Along is a WONDROUS device, but THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY! Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey All,
Saturday, September 30, 2019, Mid-Afternoon Update:

While waiting for the UPS Deliveryman, decided to make up a NEW Rope Sling with which to lift the North End of the Platform from TWO Corners. This will make it to where it comes up level, centered under TEBB's Hook. Will be able to lift it high enough to get one of the NEW Metal Saw Horses under the North End.

Once the North End of the Platform is up on one of the NEW Metal Saw Horse, The NEW Rope Sling can be removed from the TWO North End Corners, and TEBB can straddle the Platform and be moved to the Platform's South End, where the Rope Sling will be attached to the TWO South End Corners, and the Platform lifted until it is high enough to put the other NEW Metal Saw Horse under it.

The NEW Rope Sling then can be removed from the Platforms TWO South Corners, and the Platform will then be free standing.

This will make it easy to finish putting the Deck Screws that hold the Plywood to the 2X4 Frame, and there are two more long Deck Screws that need to put through the West Side 2X4 into the West End of one of the Cross Stringers.

Some details of the fabrication of the NEW Rope Sling: The Rope was put in place, and the Loop Ends formed around the Lag Screws in each Corner and secured with TWO Nylon Tie Wraps on each Loop. Then the Center Loop was formed, and held in place using TWO Nylon Tie Wraps. Once the Loops were made, the Rope between the Tie Wraps, and the Tie Wraps was coated with Epoxy. Once it was cured, the Epoxied Rope between the Tie Wraps was bound with Red Nylon Twine, and another coat of Epoxy was applied.

It has now cured, but am going to let it sit overnight. Have taken a JPG of the THREE Loops. The can be seen in the JPG below.

Anyway, am hoping this works. Am going to test it tomorrow morning.

When I worked for the Crane Manufacturer back in the 1980s, we would test the Cranes by lifting a 250 ton test load (that's a half million pounds). The test would include lifting the Test Basket and swinging in a 360 degree circle both clockwise, and counter-clockwise. BUT, the load was initially done lifting the Basket only about six inches off the ground. That way, if a Wire Rope broke, or a Sheave failed, or the Winch, Boom, Gantry, Pedestal, or something else wasn't right, the load would only fall a few inches.

Am going to use that same philosophy with this NEW Rope Sling. Will lift the Platform just high enough to stress the Rope Sling to see if it will hold. Will put a couple of Wood Blocks under the Corners in case the Rope Sling does fail, the Platform won't go down to the Pavement. Will let it sit like that for a while till we're sure it isn't going to fail.

Have made these kinds of Rope Sling Ends before to be used on Ms. American's Canvas Tarp. They are quite sturdy.

Anyway, here is the JPG, and will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs. Take Care.

JC

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.