Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
78 w-150 with a 360 4 barrel, and i need to reseal the oil pan. can someone give me a more in depth walkthrough than what is in the manual? is there any special trick so that it wont leak after i re-install it? any special preparations before i rip into it? and lastly but not leastly, gasket or sealant? and help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
not to much to doing the oil pan
most of the books i have seen cover it fairly well
one trick i have found though
dont put the rubber seal o nthe front of pan until you have pan slid back up in place
it always ends up hitting the engine and dragging thart seal into the pan

i usually glue the gasket on the pan with some rtv, let it set up and then slide pan back in, install front pan seal, and bolt it up.

i almost never have any pan leaks when doing this.

just make sure you dont over tighten the pan bolts and crush gasket

and make sure all old gasket is cleaned off of pan and block before installing new one

eric

·
Registered
123 Posts
Make sure all your surfaces are super clean of oil. use the black RTV sealant on front and back rubber seals and dont use to much, a little goes a long way. Check your pan surface for warpage where the bolt holes are. Do not over tighten the bolts or you willl warp the pan and be right back where you started from. If your pan is warped from previous overtighting you can straighten with small hammer other wise replace it.
Check your pickup screen while there and clean it also.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
felpro makes an awesome rubber gasket that i've had no problems at all with

G

·
Be sure to pull the starter and the tranny inspection cover. The pan won't come off with the inspection cover in place and the cover won't come off without pulling the starter. Put some grease on the front seal where it mates with the pan. That will keep the seal from twisting out when you tighten the pan. And while the pan is off, put a new oil pump in, whether you think you need it or not.

Don't forget to pull the dipstick out before you start.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ohhh. i have a 727 auto trans on my 78 so the pan just backs up against the bell housing. im not sure about the starter being in the way, but that shouldn't be to hard to take off.

G

·
I'm talking about the inspection cover at the front of the tranny, in front of the bellhousing. There should be a thin sheet metal cover held on with four bolts. It's between the starter and the bellhousing so the starter has to come off.

G

·
Apparently they weren't thinking. GM bolts their starters to the block. Chrysler and Ford figured they'd bolt their starters to an aluminum bellhousing.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Either way, it's much easier to do the pan with the cover and starter off, trust me. Also, take Eric's advice for the front gasket, or else you'll knock it into the pan and feel like an idiot when you're taking it off again.

Derek

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
78machowgn4me said:
AZ-Trailduster said:
felpro makes an awesome rubber gasket that i've had no problems at all with
i was going to ask what type of gasket is the best. do you know where i can get a felpro gasket?
mine came with my engine gasket kit, but i'm sure you can get them at your local parts house...they just might have to order it.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i do know that they make a new one piece pan gasket that would probably eliminate alot of the problems we have all experienced. i havent tried it yet, but will see if i can find a part number for it.

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok i found it, it is a bit more than a regular pan gasket priced at $27.95, but if it stops the leaks better then it might be worth it.

here is the part number, summit part number SCE-269091

and here is a pic of it

this is for a 360 so it should be great for ya

eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have one of these currently on my r/c 318 now and man was it worth it.I have always been successfull sealing the pan's for the most part but they always seem to weep a bit and causing the dirt and grime build up under there that we all hate when we need to re tourque the bolts.The one part gasket is showing very small weepage after a year and a half of steady driving now hardly any at all it's just like having a new car with no leaks on my new drive way gotta love that,and if it keeps the wife happy then my head stays unsore lol.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

fit perfectly with my milodon 4x4 pan...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts