Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got my truck going finally. But, alas, it still continues to fight me every step of the way. :\'(
I recently put a used but rebuilt Eb. Performer Series 650 electric choke carb on it. After fighting with the fuel system, it cranked right up (yea, right, you don't think it was that easy, do you? ::) ), sorta. Now, I finally got it to idle somewhat decently, and I got enought fluid in the tranny to get it to move. I recently set the timing by ear (could't find anything on my harmonic balancer) and now, when I try to move it, when I put it in gear, it just sputters and dies, and won't start again, and acts like it's flooded. I also noticed that when I tried to adjust the carb, it won't even adjust at all. I almost pulled both screws out on the carb, and it still didn't do nada. I was told it's probably a vacuum leak, but I wanted to get some different opinions. I plan to overhaul the engine in the future, but for now I just want to get it going somewhat decent, you know? Please help me out here guys, I'm getting tired of this truck's games ALREADY!! :mad: Laterz

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I read yours. I hope to God above it ain't the timing chain or the cam. I don;t got the money to replace all that, and if anything kills Project Beastwagon, it's lack of funding for major parts.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
What do your spark plugs look like?

-SM

Just read your response in the other thread...sounds like you have old/bad gas in the tank. Gasoline should be clear. If its yellow it is usually from gum/varnish, which builds up the longer gas sits.

Siphon the tank. Change fuel filters. Remove all of your spark plugs, and clean them with a brush and some WD-40 (may as well check & reset the gaps while they are out). Hopefully the innards of the carb are not all gummed up as well...but if it is not responding to idle mixture adjustments it probably does have gum/varnish build up. Once you get it running, try spraying some carb cleaner down the throat, and add a bottle of Chevron Techron to your next tank of gas.

-SM

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i know the feeling about hoping its not the chain.... if it is then its a crappy chain in mine to begin with.... its only about 10k old..... and SM i will be doing just about the same thing to my little beast also when she gets back from the shop if they have not done it already....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slanted_Mind said:

-SM

Just read your response in the other thread...sounds like you have old/bad gas in the tank. Gasoline should be clear. If its yellow it is usually from gum/varnish, which builds up the longer gas sits.

Siphon the tank. Change fuel filters. Remove all of your spark plugs, and clean them with a brush and some WD-40 (may as well check & reset the gaps while they are out). Hopefully the innards of the carb are not all gummed up as well...but if it is not responding to idle mixture adjustments it probably does have gum/varnish build up. Once you get it running, try spraying some carb cleaner down the throat, and add a bottle of Chevron Techron to your next tank of gas.

-SM
I don't think it's the carb, because like I said, I had it rebuilt ( I sat and watched the guy do it so I could learn), and it just has the see thru fuel filter, which is clean. My plugs are all black and sooty tho, doens't that mean it's running rich? Also, today, I had the carb off, and I took the little vacuum smog thingy off (it sits on the manifold on the drivers side, and sits right under the carb) and looked in the gaping hole it left :eek: and saw a bluish looking liquid in there, along with some hard black crud. And, I also noticed the inside of my manifold was wet wet. Is that good, or no? It was gas, btw, not water ( I keep the hood closed on it and the filter on)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar prob when i replaced my 318, ran fine at an idle
but had no power, would spit sputter and die. As careful as i thought i was , I found I had miss place 2 spark plug wires.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Werewolfdodge said:
Slanted_Mind said:

-SM

-SM
I don't think it's the carb, because like I said, I had it rebuilt ( I sat and watched the guy do it so I could learn), and it just has the see thru fuel filter, which is clean. My plugs are all black and sooty tho, doens't that mean it's running rich? Also, today, I had the carb off, and I took the little vacuum smog thingy off (it sits on the manifold on the drivers side, and sits right under the carb) and looked in the gaping hole it left :eek: and saw a bluish looking liquid in there, along with some hard black crud. And, I also noticed the inside of my manifold was wet wet. Is that good, or no? It was gas, btw, not water ( I keep the hood closed on it and the filter on)
Sounds like your carb is 'dumping' fuel...usually caused by the float being set too high (or a sunk float). Black and sooty plugs and wet intake plenum = running WAAAY rich. Fuel should never puddle in the manifold.

Not sure what the vacuum smog thingy is (EGR???) But was the gaping hole open from intake to atmosphere?

-SM

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
Werewolfdodge said:
Slanted_Mind said:

-SM

-SM
Sounds like your carb is 'dumping' fuel...usually caused by the float being set too high (or a sunk float). Black and sooty plugs and wet intake plenum = running WAAAY rich. Fuel should never puddle in the manifold.

Not sure what the vacuum smog thingy is (EGR???) But was the gaping hole open from intake to atmosphere?

-SM
Yes, the hole went under the manifold, and I could see a small hole on the inside of the maninfold under the carb, with a little bit of that liquid in there. And the fuel wasn't puddling in the manifold, it was just wet to the touch, moist like. And upon furter inspection of the smog thingy found it had a nail stuck in what looks to be a vacuum port. So what is it. Or should I say, what WAS it. I promptly dimantled it after I decided putting it back on would hurt my truck. I hate stuff that hurts my baby. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts