Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals. Hope your all having a good day.
My tranny(TF727 shiftkit) will only start to move in low or reverse after a few seconds of whiring,whining,sounds like the torque converter is spining and than the tranny finally catches up. Once I'm moving down the road a few feet the trans acts normal(shifts up,down,no slip until I stop than I have to be in low or rev to move again) If I put in drive or second just spins,whining no go. If I hold in low or second as rpm gets higher I get weird whine also. Oil is good,no smell,properlevel,warm in park. Any expanations???. Thanks in advance. Also would like some suggestions for good rebuild. I have been thinking of a lower stall TC B&M or MP hd rebuild with the valve body that lets you shift back to low sooner for hold on downhill,cooler ,filter and temp guage and floor shifter. 81 RC 318 tweeked, Demon Sizzler TQ. 4.10s 35 BFG AT's. Mostly pull trailers, slow and easy offroad,hills(yes we have hills in Saskatchewan) snow and daily driver.Thanks Again. Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was having the same problems with mine. I was lucky and tried to change the fluid and filter. It fixed everything. I would try that it is a pretty cheap thing to try. I was close to buying a whole new tranny!!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
You said full, warm in park, If im not mistaken, fluid level needs to be checked in neutral. I know on my 84, there is like a 1 or 1.5 quart difference between park and nuetral.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
CJ's84RC said:
You said full, warm in park, If im not mistaken, fluid level needs to be checked in neutral. I know on my 84, there is like a 1 or 1.5 quart difference between park and nuetral.
this is correct, must be checked in neutral, also, if oyu go the changing fluid filter route, then adjust the bands while you are under there

eric

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I did it right I just wrote it wrong. To many exhaust fumes mixed in my Coffee.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Hey, GrampaRam, I missed your entry to RCC. Welcome aboard ! It's nice to have some more "ole farts" around !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Smokey, Appreciate the welcome. Hope the fabricators come up with wheelchair entry for RC. Will need it by the time I get this truck "just about done". Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Ya'll are right about the checking tranny fluid, I recently learned the WHY part of checking fluid in park, and it explains the difference in fluid levels that CJ's84RC spoke of.
During engaugement of park gear, the valve body passages that allow fluid flow to the torque converter are closed causing the converter not to fill, this could also explain why you are experiencing the problems, (could be 20 or 30 other things in the tranny too but anyway) one idea I have is that if a valve is sticking, it could be causing fluid pressure loss to the correct passage, possibly causing the low reverse band to only partially apply, while not applying the 2-3 band, or even only partial compression of the clutch assemblies, either one would cause the slippage you talk about, I am rebuilding a 727 now and im learning/teaching myself along the way, heres a link to a post I just started about the 727

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards2/index.php?board=76;action=display;threadid=37029

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good afternoon, I spent the buck,put in new oil,filter and conditioner and drove about 20miles. No change as yet except strange whine is gone when reving up in low and 2nd. Hoping valve might still free up when conditioner does a little work. Of course I believe in very positive thinking !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i did the same on my m-n-laws chevy and added a bottle of lucas trans fix. she had no reverse before i did the change and work great after. the lucas isnt a permenant fix but it might help yours.

if you do try this go to a reputable lube shop and have them vac out a quart of fluid

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Did ya adjust yer bands while you had that pan off? Also, before you rebuild it, try the Lucas trans fix. If there's anything in a bottle that can fix a tranny, that's it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
talked to a friend at work last night who builds a lot of 727 trans on the side .
he said with out seeing the truck threr is no 100% way to tell
but he told me it was either the overrunning in the back of the case is shot or the one
in the torque converter most likely the one in the trans is bad
because when you shift in to low the band supports the back half and when in drive it works against the over running !

and if it is in the rear of the case you will either have to get a new(differnt) case or get a bolt in over running (that is what i did)

would also recomend going with thr transgo shift kit it allows
the fluid to move when the trans is not

if i can be of any help just ask

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I have decided to stop fooling around. Don't want to walk 30 miles when I'm hunting this fall. I'm going to rebuild tranny and t-case. Transmission Exchange has great price on heavy duty rebuild kits,208 chain,transgo 11 and low stall TC. B&M light truck Megashifter on top. Just got my TQ back from David at Demon Sizzler. I'm hoping the combination will make her talk back real nice when I ask her to. Still open to opinions and DONATIONS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts