Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have  1989 with Torque Flite 727 auto transmission.  It has a Monster upgrade kit and is set up for manual shifting.  Has been working great for months.  Went to the store Monday and was working fine, but when started up to leave all three forward gear selections are 1st gear.  I'm trying to find out what 2nd and 3rd gears have in common that I should be looking at to see what the problem is.  Has a TV cable that is adjusted correctly, and have tried maladjusting it to see if that would change anything.  It didn't.  TV cable and shift selector linkages are all working properly.
Any suggestions about where to get info about the internal functioning of this transmission?

John

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Lots of things could be wrong, but without testing and some pressure gauges, it's hard to say for sure.  Low fluid, bad pump, clogged filter, valve body malfunction, linkage out of adjustment, governor malfunction, bad front clutch, bad kickdown band or an internal leak somewhere.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
something YOU modified with the "kit" is the first place I'd look , second place would be the arm inside the valve body attached to the externial shift cable. It is peened onto that shaft and they do come loose .

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
dodge82273 said:
something YOU modified with the "kit" is the first place I'd look , second place would be the arm inside the valve body attached to the externial shift cable. It is peened onto that shaft and they do come loose .
l bought a truck that the owner said had a bad tranny for cheap , its just like you said [loose shaft] fixed that and drove it for years

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, Thanks for responses.  Yes, I figure some testing is required. Hoped to narrow down the scope to things that caused every forward gear to be 1st while R, N, and P are all working as they should.  Did a couple of easy things since we're getting rain from hurricane Florence here in central Virginia and my garage already has a couple of my cars in it right now.  Messed with the TV cable adjustment and checked the kickdown band setting; no joy there.  The link/rod you mentioned about slipping loose: would this affect all gears and not just 2nd and 3rd?
          John

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you would think so . the valve body as you know uses spools , if a spool moves TOO far or not far enough , the trans will not work correctly . because it does not shift TO 2 nd or 3rd don't mean its not spooled to 2nd or 3rd , it just means the oil is not following ALL the paths and moving ALL the servos ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.