Dodge RamCharger Central banner

TF 727 Converter Options

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Duffy 
#1 ·
What is a good converter for my '89 RamCharger with a 5.2 and a TF727? Are all of these supposed to be "lockup" converters, or can a guy get away with a "holeshot 2500" high stall converter?

Seems like a high stall converter would add torque, but I don't see many high performance converters for '89 'Chargers. What gives?

Confused in SloughHouse, CA,
Roy ???

#2 ·
For a truck like what you have, you really don't want a stall converter. Just go to the auto parts store and tell them you need one for your truck and they should have an OEM one they can get for you. If you want performance, TCI makes them as well, but really do stay away from the high stall convertors.

#3 ·
OK. I'll check with TCI and see what they have. I think i am getting a computer code 37 about the lockup solenoid being open or shorted, and need to get it all fixed up for long summer trips. Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
Brutus said:
OK. I'll check with TCI and see what they have. I think i am getting a computer code 37 about the lockup solenoid being open or shorted, and need to get it all fixed up for long summer trips. Thanks for the input.
Whoa there, your tripping over nothing. If a Chrysler vehicle wasn't equipped with a lock up converter it will always show a Code 37. More then likely your truck does not have a lock up converter and it had code 37 the day it rolled off the factory line. So keep on driving it and dont' worry. Also if it was equipped with a lock up torque converter you can't just slap any old converter in there, it has to be a lock up converter also. I also agree you dont' want a stall converter in a truck unless your going to race it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.