Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the few B-17s from WWII still flying, Crashed today in Dallas Texas. She was hit in the port side by another WWII era aircraft. There was no survivors from either aircraft. Still unknown how many fatalities. My heart goes out to all involved, or even witnessing the crash.

I have seen her fly overhead here several times over the years.

Sky Aircraft Airplane Monoplane Vehicle

• Sad
Reactions: jcm3 and RCCADMAN

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is videos of the crash, I will not post them, if you want they are easy to find with Google.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Minding their own business and some doofus clips them from behind. Not paying attention? Not real sure

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
So sad in so many ways. We just had a plane crash right in the middle of our city about a month ago that we responded to with the fd. Two pilots on board deceased but fortunately they were coming to the local airport to pick up people so there was nobody else on board. These events are so tragic.
Eric

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Really wish I hadn't watched the video, nobody stood a chance in that crash, literally cut the B-17 in half :cry:

Reactions: jcm3

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Being too well versed in WW2, the part I struggle with is "one of the few remaining". 80 years later you can only expect so much but I wonder how more didn't get stashed. Kinda like P51s and jeeps.

These maniacs spent years restoring a B29 where it went down in Greenland only to have it burn up attempting take off.

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IIRC, it was 5 now 4 known to still be flying. About 10 or so registered as flying condition (some in museums, so likely never to fly anytime soon, or ever), and about 50 or so known in all kinds of conditions world wide. Out of about 12,000 produced.

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being too well versed in WW2, the part I struggle with is "one of the few remaining". 80 years later you can only expect so much but I wonder how more didn't get stashed. Kinda like P51s and jeeps.

These maniacs spent years restoring a B29 where it went down in Greenland only to have it burn up attempting take off.

Like many old things, the scrap value overtakes the the stash value. The bigger it is, the higher the scrap value becomes. I think there is less then 5 known liberty ships. and about 10 or so B-24's.

Then you have the politics factor to look at. We had a half track we were working on restoring, and politics got involved, and we were forced to turn it in (was still on the govt books), and it went straight to the Military museum in Boalsburg.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There no air worth P-61 Black Widows, only one that's in the process of being restored but I've stopped keeping track of it after years and years of delays, was hoping to see it fly someday.

·
Super Moderator
14,521 Posts

I saw that full documentary. It was heartbreaking. They think the APU wasn't bolted down and started the fire in the aft.

·
Registered
18,542 Posts
We must all blame internal combustion engines for this disaster!!! :mad:

Once the ICE is outlawed and all those existing rendered inoperable, accidents like this will become a thing of the past. :)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
We must all blame internal combustion engines for this disaster!!! :mad:

Once the ICE is outlawed and all those existing rendered inoperable, accidents like this will become a thing of the past. :)
Petey, of course ICE are to blame, This wouldn't have happened at all, had the owners of those two vintage planes had replaced their original carbon spewing engines with electric motors! 🤪

Ed

·
Registered
44 Posts

I dunno what to think. I get so depressed thinking about all the classic cars and tractors and trains being scrapped 24/7, I really can't afford to worry about planes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
From what I've read, everyone in planes that day had been at a pre-show meeting, where everyone's flight paths had been laid out explicitly. Wondering if the pilot of the fighter had a medical event right before the crash?

·
Registered
18,542 Posts
Petey, of course ICE are to blame, This wouldn't have happened at all, had the owners of those two vintage planes had replaced their original carbon spewing engines with electric motors! 🤪
Yeah, how many people must die in internal combustion engine-related incidents before something is finally done, Ed?

F*cking things are a major threat to humanity, just like Trump supporters. :(

·
Super Moderator
14,521 Posts
Yeah, how many people must die in internal combustion engine-related incidents before something is finally done, Ed?

F*cking things are a major threat to humanity, just like Trump supporters. :(
This is the kind of rhetoric that causes trouble on our website. You've been warned several times. Enjoy your vacation. See you next week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mopar572

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw that last night. Not sure I 100% agree, but need to watch it better when I have time to follow it better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts