Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has been having an intermittent no crank/no start problem. It started as intermittent, but as of a couple days ago it seems permanent. The PO replaced the starter about 3 times. I cleaned the non existent corrosion off the power distribution block. I also replaced the ignition switch with a standard ignition product from oreilies that seemed to fix it for a couple of days. I have swapped the starter and asd relays with things like the horn or the blower motor with no change. I can jumper the starter from at the relay and at the starter itself and it spins the engine over just fine, even with the key on however, the engine will not kick into life. I have checked all the fuses and they are good, even the fuses under the dash. Everything on the ignition switch side of the circuit seems to be fine, but everything the computer controls doesn't seem to be turning on. I can't hear the fuel pump,the computer is not grounding the start relay, and the biggest telltale sign is the CEL IS NOT coming on. Which is telling me that either a fuse that powers the ecm is blown, or the ecm itself is fried. Is there a fuse that dodge labeled as something meaningless like the power windows but actually controls the entire fuel injection system like the ASD fuse on my 94 dodge ram? If I can't find a blown fuse is there a way to test the ecm before dropping $150 to have it rebuilt?

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
your chasing the wrong module , you need to look at the BCM [ body control module ] it turns everything on including the PCM [ which just runs the engine]

l have some 2000 caravan wiring diagrams

NOTE / you can NOT test a brain but only diagnose inputs and outputs

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are there any fuses to check for the bcm?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, what the hell was the problem with haveing ONE computer to run the engine, and maybe another one to run the transmission?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
That era of Dodge sucked for electronics. I have a 99 Durango that will run, but not worth a shit, and will die half the time. It's parked because it isn't worth the money to fix. It has a good 5.9 and transmission with OD that may get transplanted into an RC along with the seats and maybe a few other things.

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
That era of Dodge sucked for electronics. I have a 99 Durango that will run, but not worth a shit, and will die half the time. It's parked because it isn't worth the money to fix. It has a good 5.9 and transmission with OD that may get transplanted into an RC along with the seats and maybe a few other things.

they run great if you transplant them and peal all the BS unneeded wiring out , it's all the add on shit that ruins them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts