Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For God's sake..., What size are the threads on the threaded stud sticking out of the temperature sender in the intake on these 318 / 360's ?? I've tried every nut I've got in the size range it appears to be in, (10-24 / 10-32, etc...), and it's like nothing fits? Metric? (It's a factory repacement for the dash gauge, NOT the coolant Temp. Sensor.) The little 90 deg. push on connecter broke off and I've added a new soldered ring terminal end, but I can't "bolt" it on !! Hard to reach too, because it's down under the AC compressor..

OR.....Can somebody turn me onto where I can buy the 90 deg. replacement connector that broke off? This is stupid, but is as equally aggravating.

I can split an atom on the first try, but can't find the right nut for a sending unit?

Thanks,

Dave ???

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chump,

No Carquests here in the east, NAPA's we got...I'll check there and see what I come up with...Would still like to know why I can't find a nut to fit these threads though... Sometimes I guess it's just better not to know....LMAO..

Thanks,

Dave ;D

·
7,995 Posts
I have never seen a late model car or truck with a nut on the sender unit...my guess it's a non-standard thread that is there to be used with a push on connector only. I have never checked it out thouroughly but I would guess the use of a nut would lead to premature failure from vibration plus the location of the sender makes it difficult to service as you have mentioned.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I HAVE NOT SEEN A THREADED ONE EITHER I THINK WANT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS IT LOOKS THREADED BUT ARE REALLY LIKE ALOT OF RINGS OR CROOVES AROUND THE STUD SO THE PUSH ON CONNECTER WILL CLICK ON AND STAY

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mike k said:
I HAVE NOT SEEN A THREADED ONE EITHER I THINK WANT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS IT LOOKS THREADED BUT ARE REALLY LIKE ALOT OF RINGS OR CROOVES AROUND THE STUD SO THE PUSH ON CONNECTER WILL CLICK ON AND STAY
Mike,
I would'nt be surprised, but the old one takes a standard 10-32 nut. Marine engines use the same, (Similiar) temp sending unit. Due to the high vibration application, they all get nutted. The old one, (On the bench takes the nut.) I suppose it's possible you're right, but it appears to be threaded. I'm leaning towards it being metric now, even from Dodge, (ie; later model, "one size fits all). Thanks to you guys, I think I'll find a replacement push-on type with a pigtail. I'll splice it in, game over.... Thanks for your feedback. It's my attention to detail, (see fanatic), that makes me this way. I can thank my job, (Aviation Inspector) for 23 years for making me this way. At 38,000 ft. you can't pull over and throw the hood and fix what's wrong. lmao

Dave ;D
Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
NO, YOU CANT,I WORK ON MILITARY JETS WITH THEM YOU CANT PULL OVER EITHER BUT YOU CAN MARTIN BAKER YOUR A## OUT, IF YOU HAVE IT OUT TAKE IT ACE AND START LOOKING AT WHAT FITS ME NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE IT I JUST GAVE MY OPINION. BUT IF THE THREADS ARE CLOSE RUN A DIE DOWN PUT ON A NUT AND GET R DUN (NOT ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA) WORKS WHEN IN YOUR IN A JAM THO

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
mike k said:
NO, YOU CANT,I WORK ON MILITARY JETS WITH THEM YOU CANT PULL OVER EITHER BUT YOU CAN MARTIN BAKER YOUR A## OUT, IF YOU HAVE IT OUT TAKE IT ACE AND START LOOKING AT WHAT FITS ME NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE IT I JUST GAVE MY OPINION. BUT IF THE THREADS ARE CLOSE RUN A DIE DOWN PUT ON A NUT AND GET R DUN (NOT ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA) WORKS WHEN IN YOUR IN A JAM THO
MIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE

SHUT OFF THE FRICKING CAPS LOCK MAN, ALL CAPS INDICATES SHOUTING, IT ALSO MAKES THINGS VERY HARD TO READ.

so please do us all the favor of hitting that little button on the left side of your keyboard and shutting the caps off.

thank you

eric

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know there's some fellow Av mechanics on this board. I meant it when I said I appreciate your feed back.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
what he said /// all of the threads i have are 10-32 quinn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts