Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help with the S10 here. anyone still here? ;D
I don't trust the stock temp gauge at all and want to put in an aftermarket one. BUT! The only place I can put the sender is in the hole for the stock one. Not a prob except that that is also the sender for the computer and it does NOT like it when it's unplugged/not working.
Can I put the new sender into a hose end? Which hose?
I am thinking the hose coming off the thermostat would be the most accurate.
How do I seal the hose? can I set the sender in place with a bead of silicone (or whatever) until it dries then put the hose on? Am I wasting my time here? Ya, dumb question on this site huh? ::)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why not put a t-fitting in the stock hole and install the sending unit on one side and the aftermarket gauge on the other end? Another thought is to remove one of the block drain plugs and install the aftermarket gauge there.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4.3 then Deano.
The only prob with the tee fitting greasemonkey, is that the senders won't be in the coolant flow. They will be in a smal pocket of coolant that won't circulate.

·
7,995 Posts
I thought that the 4.3 had 2 temp sensors on it...one for the gauge and one for the computer. Many vehicles are set up this way. They will both probably look alike and may be the same part number but will be in different locations...one of them is usually near the thermostat and the other could be almost anywhere.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I thought too, but when I disconnected the one I found, the gauge pegged to the top, the check engine light came on and it started running like crap! My chiltons says there is supposed to be another one in the back of the intake for the computer, but the only sensor back there is the oil pressure. (makes no sense, I know)

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1988, Thanx for the help guys, I DO appreciate it!

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
on the 4.3 the temp sensor should be right next to the front spark plug on the left and the back one on the right should be emty / put yer gauge there

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check, Thanx!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts