Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a chance to get a 2006 sebring convertible with 82,000 miles for 1500 from a friend. It's in pretty good shape and has a new top that needs installed. The two small windows don't go up or down, and the fuel gauge doesn't work. Otherwise it runs great. Anything for 1500 is a buy these days but are there any major problems with these cars? I would give my taurus to my 16 year old and this would become my daily. Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
633 Posts
honestly....after owning a 2004 Intrepid, I'll never own another Chrysler/Dodge car of that era again. I purchased the intrepid with 120K on it, and it took an INCREDIBLE amount of money to keep it running to 195K when I sold it. It was NOT a sludged up 2.7 as it was meticulously maintained, but the design, engineering, and build quality was complete crap. If it has a 2.7 (I think they're transversely mounted in those cars)...just don't.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Aren’t these one of those cars you gotta take the tire off to change the battery?

I’d buy it for 1500 despite all issues though. $1500 cars are hard to come by. Might be good on gas. Get you to work or just a beater ya know.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's kindof what I'm thinking. It seems like a lot of the complaints are not major issues for somebody that works on their own vehicles and I'm not looking for a performance vehicle, which seems to be a lot of the negative. I drive a 2004 taurus with no air most of the time right now lol

·
Registered
888 Posts
I’d definitely go for it then if it can pass inspection if you have inspection in your state. At least if the ac stops working in this one you can just leave the top down lol

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
92 Posts
I have a 2008 that I got last year because the wife wanted it and short of one coil pack going out on it, it has been great. It has a little over a hundred thousand miles on it and the front end is starting to feel a little loose so I'll need to address that soon but it has been a great little car.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
the front end is starting to feel a little loose

be fore warned that the balljoint design is such that if you drop off a slight curb and the wheel travels faster up than the lower arm the BJ pops apart and the wheel folds under the car [ really bad design ] my Sebring sedan did it twice , happen to the original owner in reverse , took out the fender and bumper and thats how l bought it , then the other side folded on me and l junked it [ few years later ]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
American cars are crap all around. From the 80's, the 90's, into the new millennium, and even my 2015 Ford. It has 113K on it and in just over a year it's been in and out of the shop with major repairs. And those repairs are starting to fail because they put the same crap back in them when they "fix" it. My Accord, my Jetta, My Corolla... all had over 300K and the Jetta is almost to 400K. My son is still driving it. Murican cars suck. My wife has our first Subaru now. So far so good. Built well and the IIHS top safety pick.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I rented a convertible like that in winter in NYC bc thats the only thing availble at Laguardia at the time. Hands down the worst vehicle I've ever been in or driven. It was loud, rough and the most unrefined vehicle i can remember driving. Worse than my 67 coronet made with spare parts and worse than my 83 dodge. Only thing comparable would be the slant 6 62 dodge tanker truck at my farm in Chazy right before it was junked due to rust.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
For about double you can score the later 200 convertible with 100k on it and that much left. My girl has tried to kill hers a few times and failed. The usual problems are real minimal and with the v6 is gotta be more driveable than the I4.

·
Registered
90 W350 Cab and Chassis
213 Posts
For about double you can score the later 200 convertible with 100k on it and that much left. My girl has tried to kill hers a few times and failed. The usual problems are real minimal and with the v6 is gotta be more driveable than the I4.

I had great luck with Chrysler mini vans. The 3.3 and 3.8 are great engines. I rented a Chrysler 200 once and it was a nice car. I also had good luck with an 05 Neon.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can handle loud and unrefined for 1500 bucks lol. I'm just more curious on motor/tranny issues. I don't mind maintenance items on a 16 year old car. I mainly drive 30 miles too and from work and about 100 miles each way a couple times a month.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
90 W350 Cab and Chassis
213 Posts
I can handle loud and unrefined for 1500 bucks lol. I'm just more curious on motor/tranny issues. I don't mind maintenance items on a 16 year old car. I mainly drive 30 miles too and from work and about 100 miles each way a couple times a month.
Maybe trade it for a Harley ;)

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like the convertibles were standard with the 2.4 4banger. I get to check it out tomorrow. If this is the case, is that a better motor than the 2.7 6cylinder? Not really worried about power, just durability

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to look the car over this morning. It starts, runs, drives nice. Steering seems tight and responsive. It's the 2.4 4banger. Not gonna set any land speed records but seems sufficient. Current top is trashed but has a new one in the box. Passenger rear quarter window needs a motor and the driver side works but doesn't go down all the way. Top trys to go up and down but seems to have air in the system. Air only blows on high setting but blows cold. Fuel gage reads full all the time. New tires. Newer alternator. Couple little scratches but not anything you wouldn't expect on a car this age.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts