Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 90 rc with a 318 auto trans 4x4. what all do i need to change it over to a carb setup?????

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
You need a intake manifold, carburator, vacuum advance distributor, balast resistor and wiring kit.

G

·
Unless you're planning on using a mechanical fuel pump (and seeing that it's a TBI, it may have a short-shaft cam like the Magnum, thus the usual fuel pump eccentric will not fit without a true LA cam or a modified ecentric kit -Hughes engines sells these) you'll need a single inlet, dual outlet fuel pressure regulator. If you have an overdrive, you'll need to wire in a toggle switch to activate/deactivate the OD as you like.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
why do so many people want to do this swap? the reasoning escapes me. if u off road at all, u will quickly miss ur tbi.

Duane

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The Mopar Electronic Ignition Kit has instructions on how to wire it up with the computer. You will need a carburator and the MPP kit. I'd leave the stock fuel pump and just put on a pressure regulator. The instructions say to leave the computer to opperate the cruise, emitions, the overdrive, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
CLRracer said:
why do so many people want to do this swap? the reasoning escapes me. if u off road at all, u will quickly miss ur tbi.

Duane
Yeah, I have a 318 TBI and I want to take the tbi set-up off and put it on my old 360. I like TBI. Starts easier in the winter, too...no pumping the accel, no fast idle cam to worry about, no choke, etc.

·
3,753 Posts
cooper30 said:
CLRracer said:

Duane
Yeah, I have a 318 TBI and I want to take the tbi set-up off and put it on my old 360. I like TBI. Starts easier in the winter, too...no pumping the accel, no fast idle cam to worry about, no choke, etc.
Agreed.

G

·
Yes, EFI is terribly functional.....coldly efficient. Rather lacking of character, though. And I hate to break it to ya, but we have an '84 that fires up immediately, and runs fine in cold weather. It was originally a New Jersey truck, so you can bet the choke works properly. The thing just flat out runs great. I clearly see and reap the benefits of EFI, but I prefer carbs.

·
3,753 Posts
Nothing wrong with a properly running carb, but even a half assed efi runs better than a carb for wheeling.

G

·
Can't agree there. I've experienced half-assed EFI's. They tend to spew gas, miss, and act up in general. Which sensor can you run without in an EFI? There are advantages on both sides, but can anyone tap on a throttle body with a screwdriver handle, and get home? The EFI has proven very reliable in general, but when it quits, it quits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.