Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to get a hold of a throttle body spacer for my 89 dodge d100 318 2wd tbi? I thought power raid might have them , but they don't. I have they machining tools to make one if I have to , but I would rather buy one if i can. I have the lathe and drill press , and everything.......but if afforable , would like to buy one

thanks ;D

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Didya google search for one ?

Poweraid only lists one for later models...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the later models , the tpi they aren't real great.....I have one on another truck , and it whistles like a turbo.....kinda groovy , but it can get annoying. the tbi it would work better , cause it is shooting the fuel through the body , and if you space it up an inch or two , it is supposed to work better........those weird looking grooves they cut in them bad boys is sposed to work better to........I bet my bulldog could make 'em grooves , and she just wants affection......not 85 bucks!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
i takes about 10 minutes to make one.

most of time is lay out.

i did not install one. i built a twin throttle base plate thinking it was going to turn into a throttle body. used a cnc but would have been easier on drill press with hole cutter.

i didnt plan well enough. not enough space for decent sized throttle shaft. but the plate itself was simple. it was just boring a hole for shaft. buts something you arent going to do.

just get a gasket and trace it out on a material (lotta guys prefer phenolic resin or laminated plywood) yes plywood. has good insulating capability. but needs to be gasoline resistant so it doesnt just wick up fuel.

i have also seen a different kind of spacer made for tbi.

it goes betten injectors and throttle plate. it raises injectors up higher, allowing more air to go around them and into throttle.

if you do make a throttle spacer, you may consider making it a 4bbl intake adapter at the same time. it would just be a larger chunk of material that serves 2 purposes.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
well dt, i know what they should do, and are supposed to do, but from some chevy guys (who can actually get tbi spacers) ive heard that the improvements werent what they thought they would be.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hey duc, if you come up with a design that works well and you can replicate fairly easily, you might consider making a few extras and putting them up for sale here. You could make a few bucks sellin them here.. I know I'd buy one! ;D ;D

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
88 Posts
the building of a spacer is simplistic. I made one a month ago for my friends 88 318 tbi truck. I used 1 1/4 inch aluminum plate and a gasket for the lay out. then all you need are a drill press and two hole saws ( I belive 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inch diameter are the sizes. of course if you have access I would use the cnc maching and do a little nicer job. It took about an hour to build and install. getting bolts long enough to go through eveything when done is a little tough but can be done. once you addd the gasket I achieved 1 5/8 inch total rise with the spacer and the second tbi gasket. I thought that the performance increase seem
ed to be fairly decent for the cost.

·
Registered
88 Posts
unfortunately I don't have anymore 1 1/4 inch aluminum left but I was able to acquire some 1 inch thick that would work the same. I guess I never thought about making them to sell but You would be better off if you had acces to a cnc machine for the purpose of a cleaner cut.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
takes too long on cnc.

unless you used a hole saw to make an initial cut of lets say 1.5" and then used cnc to fine bore the rest.

if you start with fresh chunk of metal it takes helluva long time for cnc to cut all that crap. it goes in a out ward spiral (i forgot machining term)

using a lathe would be very time consuming. you would have to use a 4 jaw chuck and a dial indicator. then offset the work piece. then check with dial indicator to insure the hole is in right place. its just a real PIA to work with offset holes in non-round work pieces on a lathe.

i might even consider hand cleaning with diegrinder/dremel instead. just a debur polish job. would still take less time than cnc to folllow through tool path. plus inputing instructions either manually or through a CAM program aint a 2 minute job either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts