Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how hot of an engine I can build while still using my stock TBI on a 318??? I have a pair of 360 J heads, and was thinking of 9 to 1 compression, with an appropriate cam.

G

·
You'll have a port mismatch unless you use the 360 TBI intake. With the increased airflow, the computer and TBI will run out of steam before the 360 parts, so you'll run lean, or just fall flat at the top-end unless you use the 360 TBI and PCM. The stock 318 heads on the TBI set a 9.5 compression, by the way. If you don't want to use the 360 parts, at least get the 318 heads cleaned up and get a 3-angle valve job. You can't go far on a cam unless, again, you get the 360 PCM and TBI. CompCams does offer a nice OEM replacement cam (meaning no computer mods needed) with .450 lift and a bit more duration (20-628-9) also know as the 254HR-12. You should replace the valve springs as well.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Shorter pushrods are used with the longer roller lifters= different pushrod angle. That's why the 302 and 308 swirlport heads had the .660 dia. pushrod holes. I'd use the swirlport heads.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
On the push rod holes you can either drill them out, or do some grinding to give them clearance (this is for the non roller heads)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts