Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some guy at the gas station told me if i wanted to save on gas that I should look in to heightening my gears. well, will someone explain what exactly gears are and what happenes if you make them bigger, or "taller" as the guy said? how much would it cost to get it done, and is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If you want to save on gas you need to lighten your tires and wheels and use a lower gear.

It would be about and this is a guess $1k between both rears, if you have heavy steel wheels, going to a light alum wheel will help

·
Registered
365 Posts
i have been looking into it for my self and you can get ring and pinion for around 250 a set for a good set and then you need the install kit and you probably need to get them installed if you do it your self you could lose your investiment i called some shops and it is about 350 per axel to get ring and pinion instaled and if you go higher than 3.73 gears in a d44 front you need a new carrier
so you really got to ask yourself is it wirth it??

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
You probably have the stock gears still with would be the 3:23's. For what it costs to regear an axle, you'd be better off overhauling the top end of your engine for fuel economy. Get a performance ignition, a different cam, 4 bl intake and carb and drop as much weight off the thing as you can.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, but you will still be sluggish off idle, and it will take more throttle to get moving. you will, however have much better fuel economy during highway/interstate driving. i would reccoment something in the 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 range. also, remember that you have to exactly match the gears in both the front and the rear differentials. you can't do it halfway or you'll grenade your TCase.

Jake

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
The easiest way to achieve the "taller" gear result is to put on a set of taller tires and feel the performance difference... you'll miss the acceleration you used to have.

If you can stand Tall SKINNY hard tires aired up to high pressures, that's the easiest way to get better fuel mileage... that and keepin yer foot outa the deep end of the throttle...

Remember, you are pushing wind with a vehicle that has the aerodynamic properties of your average barn. Since Cd (Coefficient of drag, aka wind resistance) increases with the square of vehicle speed, the simplest mileage improvement is to drive slower on the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts