Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a full tune-up, replaced spark plugs,wires,erg,air filter (K&N) and new battery. Runs nice and smooth once it starts. Trying to get her to fire is the problem. I'm trying to save the new battery.  Any advice?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
You forgot to mention what kind of vehicle, but I'm going to say it is a fuel injected vehicle with a leaking regulator/injector/fuel pump.

Time to start testing and stop throwing parts. ;D (I mean this in only the politest way, you have already spent enough on stuff that did not assist)

Here is a clue:
volaredon said:
youre talking the line on the regulator, right? Pinching that line does nothing for pressure.
Pinching the RETURN line though does big time. I posted those results last nite.

another question on fuel pressure (I may have asked that one before too but don't remember it being addressed;) When I turn the truck "off", the fuel pressure falls right off to "0"; Is this normal on the TBI setup? I know that on my Wrangler (multiport, 4.0, different animal I know) when the FP Reg went to He!!, and pressure bled off, I had long crank times on a restart (especially 1st time of day or if it sat a couple days) but this one seems to prime right up and start easy
I know that pressure needing to only be in the teens running instead of 40+ as the Jeep does, makes a difference too, though.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
Northstarr97 said:
Damm, sorry about that. Its a '89 Ramcharger 5.9
howdy / please put your truck info in your SIG that shows at the bottem of your posts / see below / if you dont know how ask anybody they,ll be glad to help / thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
among the other headaches I have posted about my RC bleeds down soon as I shut it off; but starts right up. somtimes I gotta hold my foot on the gas a few secs for it to "stabilize" upon starting, I'm guessing that's til the line gets bled of air and is solid full of fuel.
as far as that list of parts he's changed looks like all good preventive maint items exept maybe the battery; I'd add a cap n rotor to the "parts yet to replace" list though again P.M. only won't help the problem he has.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Ya I wouldn't cry about a set of plugs wires and filters that were needed, although I have never installed a "for the heck of it" egr, or battery until it failed to crank, then failed to hold a sufficient charge. As long as it is spinning my engine over in a sufficient manner, that's the last thing on my mind. Cap and rotor is always nice, especially a quality accel or blue streak brass cap. (any other cap with brass terminals is nice)

I am of the belief this particular issue is a good time to own a gauge though. Even if it was some kind of homemade contraption made of a 0-30psi gauge and bulk brass fittings/tees/hose. Not exactly a need for anything exotic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts