Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a tailgate from a dodge pickup truck 70's and 80's fit the rear of my 78 T/D? I looked at my tailgate and its pretty much just a tailgate with the exception of the locking Mechanism at the top for the top hatch?
T..I..A
Mid_evil_thymz

G

·
IIRC the tail gate and hardware changed in 80 when the body style changed. As long as you use the tailgate that goes with your body style all will be good

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I Need a pre 80's pickup truck tailgate to make this work then ?

G

·
Or all of the mounting hardware from the 80's trucks.
The 80's use a latch that is very similar to what a car door uses. It has a regular latch and a post for the latch to close on.
the earlier trucks have a latch that rembles what your house door has. It has a pocket that a post fits into. It would be a little bit of work but it can be changed.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a welder so I can weld the striker bolts if I had too. I'm going hunting now and i'll see what I come up with.
Rodney..

·
7,995 Posts
I think they changed in 81...here's some info.
Try looking at www.car-part.com as they show the years that will work through the use of the Hollander Parts Interchange guide software. Also check out http://shermanparts.com or others online.
326-71 Y $108.00
TAILGATE SHELL DODGE P/U 72-80; RAMCHARGER/TRAIL DUSTER 74-80

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chump....
I got it covered...
Rodney.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
sounds like they covered all thatcha need to know. also i think it might look goofy having an 80s gate on a 70s body. the body lines wont match up.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Hey Standard its not a show truck dude its beat to hell anyway. The body lines on the truck are not lined up with themselves now...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
well then i say if ya can make it work, get anything thats cheap and sleezy. i didnt know if it was hella beat or still half nice.lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.