Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any common problems with the taillights on ramchargers? i know absolutely nothing about electrical systems that is why im taking a vehicle electrical class right now. it seemed directly related with the opening of the hatch on the back. when the taillights dont work, niether do the dash lights. it is extremely irritating. the brakelights and back up lights work fine. any help would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The dash lights and tail lights are on the same fuse. That does not help much but it is a start. Perhaps someone can post the diagram for this system.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the tail lights and dash lights both are affected, you can stop looking at the back of the truck and look where there is a common connection. ducktail is on it! fuse possibly. I would think something under the dash. I'll peek through my FSR and get back with actual suggestions.

Poke around some more! Wiggle some wires and connectors. Watch for intermittants. Let us know what you find.

Don't worry there isn't that much to the wiring on your RC.

Good Luck!

Bruce

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes they do. ive been fiddling around with the wiring and in the back of the truck and no difference. my truck is doomed!

·
7,995 Posts
My first guess is that you have a problem at the headlight switch, maybe loose or melted connector. Both circuits that you have problems with go through this switch. Maybe slamming the hatch is creating some vibration at the switch? When the tail lights go out, try wiggling on the engine compartment side wiring harness at the firewall OR take a voltage reading at pin 20 when the problem exists. Pin 20 is power to the park and tail lights, this voltage comes from the headlight switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet thanks guys. ill get started on it asap!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
they are actually on the same fuse for a reason...so you know when your dash lights go out, you have no tail lights. Almost all american vehciles are made this way.

I had this issue once, and it was due to a bad wirign connector at the tail lights. It was blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I just went through this with the PW. check from the fuse to the switch . It's a tan wire on the PW. We did a contunity check and found none. Replace the wire from the fuse block to the switch and fixed the problem for me. Ofcourse check all your fuses.Check your voltage at L10 - 13 too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts