Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you have a tach mounted in your trucks, and i was looking into getting one for myself. Nothing fancy (no shifting lights or what not, I just want/need the numbers). Was looking at an autometer, 'cause I like the way they look. The smallest tach I found has a face of 3 3/8". I was thinking about mounting that one temporarily on my steering column, until I get my custom dash done using a mounting cup. Don't want to drill my dash board, if I don't absolutely have to. Mounting on the floor in the middle seems a little way out of sight.
Anyone has a pic of a tach mounted on the column, incl. info as to how big that mounted tach is and how it attaches to the column?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
this may not be any help....with this being a sunpro tach. But i just zip tied mine on.

you can still see it just fine inside the steering wheel (when its on) and it dosent block any of my gauges.

ps. i think the tach is around 3", my truck isn't here right now or i'd go out and measure

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Hey santak, I've mounted tachs in 2 different locations. I've got the one in my RC mounted on my steering column using the supplied mount that came with the tach and a large hose clamp that I painted black to mount it. I also put one in latindodge's 2wd RC. His steering column was too big to mount it like that so I took the supplied mount for the tach and mounted it to the A pillar. I just took one of the screws out of the trim and inserted it through the already present hole in the tach's supplied mount. Looks pretty cool there and I was able to route the wires right behind that trim piece.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Santak i hate to do this to you (i don't have a link) but in the truck section i believe on the 1st page of my post of my truck My W350 power ram crew cab i have pics of the exact tach and installed above on the shelf, it isn't in your line of site blocking you from seeing anything and it doesn't take your eyes away from the road when you want to see it, i can tell you from experience in my cars when travelling at very high speeds things change rapidly and that spot is the best working spot for a tach or any guage you want to keep an eye on frequently

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the A pillar is out, because I'll have a 2 gauge pod there. Marty, you wouldn't have a better pic that shows that mounting up there? The pics you posted are very dark around that spot.
AZ thanks for the picture, that sort of looks like the same size as the autometer. Zip tied to the column, uh? Mhh sounds like my solution for a temp fix.
I don't need the tach right now for something important, it's basically just to get some numbers right now. But I hate spending the money now for some tach and then buy another one for my custom dash that I hopefully get in by the end of this year. Then the whole thing moves into the dash behind the wheel, next to a speedo, water, oil, voltmeter etc.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the zip tie is a temp fix, till i can do the custom dash and/or paint the column

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what? you too? Seems like great minds think alike, eh? ;D

G

·
I've got the same tach as AZ in my RC. I used velcro to mount it right on top of the dash next to the A pillar. Its pretty much out of my way but can be glanced at easily when needed. The wires were routed down between the dash and the body of the truck and are barely noticeable, although I am not too concerned about that. It started out as a temporary way to mount it but has turned into a semi-permanent mount.

Chris

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
velcro? I thought about that, too. But I was little sceptical if it would really hold it up there, or if it would be too heavy/bulky to be mounted like that.

Great...any more ideas? Thanks so far {cool}

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've got a SunPro mini tach installed in the dash of my RC, take a look at the picture on the link below if you want. It was not hard to install with a hole saw to cut the hole.

Mac

G

·
santak said:
velcro? I thought about that, too. But I was little sceptical if it would really hold it up there, or if it would be too heavy/bulky to be mounted like that.

Great...any more ideas? Thanks so far {cool}
I wasn't sure about it staying up there either, but it hasn't moved yet. I've even done some full throttle takeoffs from a stop to see if it would move.

Chris

·
29,451 Posts
Here is a picture of mine, its not the best, but it gives you an idea. Its not easy to see in this photo, but its on the column. I can take a closer picture later if you like. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Ok here is the best pic's i have right now.

This is the guages in clockwise from the top, A-M tach, water and oil

Here is another barely showing the mounting of the A-M tach, the oil and water are in a 2 guage pod on the a pillar and the Tach is in a cup with it's footing mounted to the shelf across the roof, just above the tach is a indoor and outdoor digtal thermostat, to the right is a pen hanging from a clip and further right is a clip holding phone numbers and business cards, it's the best i could get that picture for some reason it is worse on here than what it looks like on my computer

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KThaxton said:
Here is a picture of mine, its not the best, but it gives you an idea. Its not easy to see in this photo, but its on the column. I can take a closer picture later if you like. Let me know.
how big in size is that tach Kendall? Your "cockpit" looks about what I want mine to look like until I get my dash done, 2 gauge pot on the A pillar and the tach somewhere in the middle.

Marty, looks like you have a shelf mounted on your roof? I don't have that. I kinda like the idea of having it temporarily just on the column or the velcro idea, if it's too big on the column.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yes i have a shelf

·
29,451 Posts
santak said:
how big in size is that tach Kendall? Your "cockpit" looks about what I want mine to look like until I get my dash done, 2 gauge pot on the A pillar and the tach somewhere in the middle.
It is a 2 5/8". I mounted it by putting the rubber "gasket" that comes with it under the base, then I wrapped two large zip ties around it and the column.
I had intended on this to be only temporary, and use screws later. Well, I started drilling hoping I'd just break through some 1/16" steel so I could put some sheet metal screw in, but I started drilling into somthing underneath, I don't know what it was, looked like it might have been made of aluminum or steel, so I stopped. Since I was lazy at the time, I just put the zip ties back on until I decide how I want to do it better.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
They sell a band clamp for them to be mounted on the steering column

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i think when i redo my dash, by that i mean sanding it smooth as with all the trim and painting it body color, that im going to take a peice of pipe and place it in that then mount that flush on the top of the dash above the stock gauges. it wont block the road, but it will block a patch of the hood but thats not a problem. have it go smoothly from the dash over the lil pipe thing and along to the other side of the dash. does this make any sence?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts