Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '78 trail duster's hard top is in pretty rough shape, i'm not sure if it's worth saving. Here's some pics, i'd appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Registered
32,065 Posts
well none of the PICs work because YAHOO dont let you cross link / l would either look for a new hard top or get a soft top

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
do you have a welder? can u use a welder? if so i think that can be repaired.

plus a lil POR 15 and some rhino liner. plus rhinoliner will hide any seams, which means less body filler to fill gaps.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can't weld, so that's a problem, also, along the tops of the side windows it's already rusted through like swiss cheese, but the previous owner coated it with some kind of black stuff that seemed to have stopped the rust there. my biggest concern is that it's mainly rusted through on the sealing edges, so to repair it will be to rebuild the sealing edges along the windshield and doors.

having a hard top isn't that big of a deal to me, i'll probably rig up some kind of bikini top for it until i can afford a tiger top for it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a hardtop rust out and found another. That lasted a while but it was already in bad enough shape so a while was not long enough. I went and bought a Kayline soft top which I have had for about 4-5 years now. I had to replace the zippers but considering the abuse this 79 goes through, I can't complain. Kayline was bought by another company, not Bestop. Do a search for Kayline and you should come up with the source.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A hardtop would be nice, especially since I'm going back to Upper Michigan this fall, but I don't think it's necessary, as this is mainly a trail rig. I'll probably do some winter wheeling, but that's waht warm clothes are for:)

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Where I live, security is an issue. I looked into the soft tops, but they offer absolutely no security, so I'm fixing up my top (got some drilled holes on top to seal) and this summer, I'm going to seal it up tight and permanently mount it. :\'(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.