Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 4x4 prospector that i used too drive but now im stripping, i also have an 89 4x4 as my everyday driver, but one problem, the t-case in my 89 has a terribly stretched t-case chain and makes an annoying clunk every time i let off the gas, so i plan on swamping the t-case. There is one problem the t-case in the 83 is an np208 and the t-case in the 89 is an np241, they look similar but will the np 208 bolt up too the t-case adapter for the np241? My other problem is the steering column in the 89 is loose as shi*t because its a tilt, so i plan on swamping that out with the steering column in the 83 because its a solid metal one(non-tilt, much stronger), will i have any probems swamping them???????????????I anyone knows any answers please help..........thanks.............your Ramcharger brother Jake.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The t cases will swap out but you 241 had the vacuum attachments for the CAD unit on the front axle. You'll have to ditch that or rig it up differently. The steering columns are similar. They are not hard to repair. Why not just repair it? Get a copy of a FSM or even a chiltons and look it up. There are only 3 bolts inside that need to be tightened up.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The 208 was a CAD T/case too... Just replace the vacuum switch in the 208 before you put it in. It is in the absolute worst inacessible place it can be in (directly on top of the case), so you don't want to have to replace it in 6 months when ol' Murphy decides to kick you in the nuts.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
The 208 was a CAD T/case too... Just replace the vacuum switch in the 208 before you put it in. It is in the absolute worst inacessible place it can be in (directly on top of the case), so you don't want to have to replace it in 6 months when ol' Murphy decides to kick you in the nuts.

Matt {peace}
But the 208 that he has is from a 1983 ramcharger. They didn't start putting CAD in until 1985.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My bad ::) I guess I should've read that little tidbit.. {blush}

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
the 89 steering column has a whole lot of elctronics in it, and while a 83 column will bolt up, it will require a lot of extra wiring. the best bet will be to repair the column in there now. there was a post runnin around here about how to fix the slop in the tilt wheels.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
CLRracer said:
the 89 steering column has a whole lot of elctronics in it, and while a 83 column will bolt up, it will require a lot of extra wiring. the best bet will be to repair the column in there now. there was a post runnin around here about how to fix the slop in the tilt wheels.

Duane
Not electronics, just different wiring, but it still would be a pain. There's different connectors on the turn signals, ignition switch, cruise, and key-in.. Also, the '89 has the high beam switch in the column, while in the 83 it's on the floor. Unless you want to splice in all the connectors (which will be ugly), just fix the tilt.

Matt {peace}

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.