Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all think 85 -140 w synthetic gear oil is too heavy for a 435 tranny, or should I stay plain 90 w ?
Don't know if the tranny's ever been rebuilt, but seems fine, no noise or anything, no leaks, etc....

Thanks

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
nope - run the syn / it will work fine

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BOGGER35.
Sorry all for the dumbo question - I looked and looked in FSM and could only find a reference to 90 w, after posting this, duh, there was the temp range chart, right in front of me which says it's fine.... ::)

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yep you got it your in cali it's hot there so use that

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Marty - Lol, the mountains of Cali... seasonal temp. difference here can be close to zero in the winter to over a hundred in summer.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
FYI, Your local oil distributor will most likely sell you name brand (like Valvoline) synthetic gear oil (various grades) in five gallon buckets for about $115. If you figure out the price per quart at the auto parts store and then think about how much you'll need to do both diffs, t-case, and tranny (about 3.5 gallons on my W350) it's a pretty sweet deal. I had some left over to use in my wifes rig and front and rear diffs of my 4X4 quad.
By local oil distributor I'm talking about the companies that distribute to local garages and some local parts stores, they also sometimes sell racing gas and fuel oil and such.
Yellow pages, "oil" etc...

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct, and this good advise. I just choose a specialty syn oil over the big names just to try it, it is not available here in this way.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joe swinehart said:
royal purple like in product review?
Yes - I heard some good stuff about it, beside our product review. It's pretty spendy, but pretty much in line with Red Line etc. Thought I'd give it a try. You have any comments about it ?, always respect what you have to say.....

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
joe swinehart said:
im interested in hearing anhother review as far as any possible improvement in mileage.

for around $120 or so its not bad since it shouldnt have to be replaced often.
I'll put my .02 on the review board in a couple months, want to take the time to really test it.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Stay out of the water or it will get real expensive fast, no submarine stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts