Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 Dodge shortbed 4X4 with NP435 4 speed. It was originally an automatic transmission truck, I think, because it has the automatic steering column. It has also had 8 lug axles switched in. Dane 60 in back and Dana 44 in front.

What is required to change over to a 727?

Will the same transfer case and driveshafts work?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why would you want to go to a weaker tranny? Leave it alone and spend less time breaking things.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I agree, If the column bothers you, get one for a standard. I would never think of taking out a manual, but then again, I hate automatics with a passion.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok while i agree wit hthese guys, i wil ltry and help you out.

you will need a different radiator with the tranny coller in it, or a really good external tranny cooler, you will need an auto tranny, all tranny linkages, a kickdown rod setup, wiring for the neutral safety switch, possibly a different adapter for the transfer case, possibly different length driveshafts.

will more than likely have to relocate cross members, will possibly have to remove the bushing from the crankshaft so the auto tranny inpuit shaft can slide in place, will need the proper torque converter and flexplate for your engine and tranny to be installed. will have to seal hole in floor board caused by removing gear shift handle. will have to remove all of the clutch pedal and linkage unless you dont mind them being there.

i am sure there may be more, but that is what i can think of off the top of my head

eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts