Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all. I have been searching the boards and asking friends if you can swap windshields. I got the same percentage of yes and no from the board and friends. Some say you can, others say leave it to the professionals.

My dilema is I want to put the windshield out of my 78 powerwagon, into my 79 trailduster.

Can you just pop out the one and put in the other, or do you need special tools and new gaskets.

The cheapest easiest route is what I am looking for, but if the chances of it going south or high, I might just leave it alone.

I read one post were they just removed the lock strip and popped the window out and just set the other one in with murphys soap. Is it that easy or was he just lucky.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated....I really want to drive the trailduster.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
You should beable to "roll" part of the gasket and place a screwdriver gently inside the gap. Work you way around the outside of the windshield. Once the gasket is rolled all the way around push from the inside and it should come out easily.

Of course I have seen it work and I have seen it break the glass. But you should be able to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
To keep from going into a long drawn out story, let the pro's do it. My windshiedl and gasket and locking ring all needed changing. I had the pro's do it and they still have not got it right!!!

But, on the good side its all under warentee and they "will" get it right.

If you are keeping that gasket it shouldn't be that much a problem even if you do it your self. I watched every thing being done to my RC and I know that I could have done it all, the question is why?

The only other thing I could add is do it on a real hot day. Or indoors in a really good heated garage or barn. You want that gasket to be as warm as possiable to make it plyiable, when taking that lockin strip out and replacing it.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
i agree with what the above people said. i would say if your gasket is still good i would just replace the chrome lockstrip provided your truck uses one. i might attempt to change out my windshield on my trail duster this summer because mine has a pretty big spider crack and i'd probably get pulled over in three minutes.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It won't hurt you to do it once. :)

I did it once and I swore I would never do it again unless someone held a gun to my head. Windshields crack like an eggshell if you flex them even slightly in the wrong direction.

Mac

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Hey,
Heres my dime on this. Getting the old windshield out is really rather easy If you aren't going to use the gasket from the powerwagon again use a razor knife and cut the rubber away from the widshield. I tried like hell to get it out without destroying the Glass or the gasket and its not that easy trust me. Second go to the junkyard and finsd a truck with a cracked or busted windshield. finish it off by knocking the windshiel into the cab thereby saving the gasket. Buy the Gasket. Third go to the trailduster get out the trusty razor knife and cut the gasket and remove the glass and gasket. install the Jy gasket into the truck. Now comes the really difficult part. installing the glass. I tried for hours to do this with soapy water and all manner of PLASTIC (not metal) tools. I got it so close that it was just the bottom left corner but i couldn't get it to go in there. I felt that I was in danger of cracking the glass. I finally called the glass store close to me. So I duct taped it in for the short trip to the store and had them do it while I watched the guy there told me that Dodge truck windshields are the worst to get in. He had two guys, each had a suction cup thing and he had them pushing it up into the gasket at the top while he worked his way around it with a couple of plastic tools it was a bitch then anyway but he got it in. all in all just have someone do it. Its to easy to buist the window..
rodney

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with all about having the pro's do it, unless you have brand new rubber. The main problem I've had is that used rubber looks good, but is not pliable enough to get it in easy. My neighbor was a pro, and had all of the right tools, and it still took us 3 hours using the old rubber, and about 1/2 an hour with new. If you try and do it yourself, use a silicon spray and it will eventually work. On Dodges, you put the rubber on the truck first, and then place the glass into the rubber starting in one corner, and ten work your way around. The hardest part is the last foot or so, that is when it is very prone to breakage. I worked on one for 2 hours, and had about 1/2-1 inch left, and it broke.
Manny

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
I've done a few windsheilds, and I'd rather pay someone else to have the headaches. I was able to get them out by gently prying up a corner and then pushing a piano wire thru and with the help of a friend, we pulled the wire around the frame until the glass poped out. I've also cracked a few. The key to putting one in, is to soap up the gasket and then slipping the windsheild in place, using screw drivers to push the gasket in place as you go along.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.