Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin for any info on swapping out the cab on my 73 truck it is a reg cab manual. I was going to fix the roof but it looks like I waited to long, b/c now i have rust bubbles forming on the inside of my cab. I don't want to try and fix it b/c the  cab that has several other problems. so any year make and module help and good ideas are more than welcome. thanks

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Hi,

you can swap out the cab with any reg cab from 72-79 afaik.
Get in touch with user "MadMax", he has a good junk yard with many 70s era trucks nearby.

Alex

·
Registered
52,739 Posts
Yep 72 to 79 cab will swap over.  ;D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok kool so a 72-79 will work. and about the 80's and up does anyone know y they wont work? just wondering b/c i have completely re wired my truck and there isn't much left in the cab that is stock i have swapped or changed out just about everything, or it was never there to begin with, most of the compounets under the dash, someone before me took wire cutters and some other tools and there wasn't much to start with. or is it a body line/ mounting differences? and where is this the infoumas "madmax" located?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
1980 trucks still used the same body as the 1972,,,,,1981 was the redesign.The cab itself is pretty much the same '72-'93.If you do a search this topic has been pretty thoroughly discussed not too long ago.The '72-'80 frontclip and doors will bolt on a '81-'93 cab.Interior/dash stuff is different but since Ive seen the newer dashes swapped into some older trucks i'm sure you could go the otherway.Sometime around '89 ? they switched to hydralic clutches ,I would think you could still swap your mechanical setup over

·
Super Moderator
29,593 Posts
About the only real difference in the '80s cabs compared tot he '70s cabs is the shape of the back of the cab above the rear window, the wiring bulkhead change and the hydraulic clutch which was introduced in '87 on slant 6 models and then was on everything from '88 on up.  Also something to be aware of is the change of the shape of the rear window around '75 or so.

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Be care with the VIN.  Mismatching dash ID and other locations my create problems with police so keep the original title.

·
Registered
52,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,596 Posts
1973moneypit said:
and where is this the infoumas "madmax" located?
........he's a myth....only heard about in stories.......rumor has it tho he's somewhere in Colorado...... :). When I was in California there were some decent JY's in the Santa Maria area, about half way between 'Frisco and LA.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I used a 82 cab on a 79 truck. If You gut everything out of the cab, the only problem You will run into will be the heater box. It is diffrent. I welded the firewall from My 79 into the 82 cab. Everything else can be rigged to work. Most of the sheet metal is enterchahgeable. I used that cab for a year, and it worked for Me. I did stumble onto a real clean 78 truck, and used all the metal off of that truck on My Power Wagon.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
Be care with the VIN. Mismatching dash ID and other locations my create problems with police so keep the original title.
His '73 would have the VIN on the Door, i doubt he'd run into issues with the fuzz provided he reuses the Driver's Side Door on the "new" Cab and keeps the older Dash (72 - 74 or 75 - 80) in the truck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a bunch guys.. just found a 80's part truck for about 500 bucks.  looks like a good donor and yes my VIN is on my doors so no worries in that department.  Thanks for info for the actually swap.  i don't have a heater box right now so i will have to see what i can make work.  Thanks a bunch guys..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.