Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up a little short on answers about this so maybe one of you can help me. I have a 79 powerwagon. It's full time with the d44 up front. The truck is a NP435. In it i have a 318. Now the top end of this little 318 is allready built so I dont want to swap the entire engine. What I want to do is keep everything but swap the 318 block for a 360 block. The donor 360 block comes from a 76 auto car.

Besides motor mounts and oil pan are there other big issues with this swap?

Will my NP435 just bolt right up to the block that came with an automatic transmission?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well it depends if the crank is drilled for the stick trans, if it is have fun your all set to go

G

·
What exactly do you mean when you say the 318 top-end is built? You're not wanting to put those tiny ports onto a 360, are you? The 360 will run, but it's gonna fall flat at any decent upper rpm.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
you need to swap engine and heads. don't use 318 heads on a 360. next thing is your crank probably is drilled but not to final size for a pilot bushing. Instead of using a pilot bushing you need to get this bearing and I don't have the part number handy. I think William knows it. Then all you have to do is cut like 1/8th " to 1/4" off the end of your input shaft of tranny. Next thing is the 360 takes a different flywheel. Mopar Performance has the flywheels for like $279. Or if someone has the diagram on how to drill the 318 flywheel out to 360 specs that would work too. You need a different left side i believe engine mount bracket, or maybe its the right one. But one of the two is different between 318 and 360's. the transmission will bolt up. 360 oil pans are different also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What i mean by the top is is all ready built is that I have a set of police heads from an 83 cop car (7596) that have been ported/polished and are allready gasket matched to my wieand intake manifold. I have a somewhat hot cam in the block for these heads. Right now the thing kicks in like its supercharged at about 3000 rpms. (Kinda a turd below that.)

So basically it is not a simple bolt up. New bushing, trim trans input shaft, new flywheel. (all ready knew i would need new pan and motor mounts.)

With the above top end you think the 360 block would be little to no advantage over the 318?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The 360 would be an advantage. I say advance the cam in the block about 4 degrees and see what that does. Even with ported 360 heads a 318 can pull good below 3000 rpm, it just starts screaming above 3000.

G

·
Well, it's a given that 42 additional cubes will help power. The 360 will grunt out more low-end power. Ironically, the 318 very nearly equals the 360 with same mods on hp output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the input everyone. This board deffiantely has some very knowledgeable members regarding mother mopar. I guess i am still undecided about what to do with this completely free 360. Looks like i will just break her open and see how well she has been treated the last 28 years and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts