Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I just became an owner of a 1988 Ramcharger A-100 (4 wheel drive). I plan to swap out the tired 318 for a recently rebuilt 1978 360 from my old, rusty Dodge D-200 pickup (2 wheel drive). This is no problem for me. My question is about this: I would also like to swap the New Process 435 4-speed manual from the pickup into the Ramcharger. I've worked on modern and antique vehicles, but never a 4x4. What challenge's do I face putting this NP435 in place of the 3-speed automatic?
Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.
John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folks,
    An update: with a 4WD tail shaft and tail shaft housing from a member of this forum, I've removed the original 318/Auto from my '88 RC and installed the '78 360/NP435 in it.  Went in fairly easily.
    I discovered several versions of NP435 exist, and I lucked out.  For instance, some sources say that all 2WD Dodge NP435's had trapezoidal arrangement of bolts to attach the tail shaft housing, and 4WD Dodge NP435's had rectangular.  The 4WD tailshaft housing did indeed have a rectangular pattern, but so did my '78 2WD NP435.  It took about 90 minutes, once the transmission was out and on the floor, to change out the tailshaft and housing.
      Everything lined up perfectly putting the transmission and engine back in: motor mounts, cross member parts, NP241C transfer case, transfer case shifter, etc.  I used clutch pedal parts and linkage from the '78, and it all went in very easily, except for the horizontal pedal shaft under the dash hitting the ignition switch.  But, despite seeing descriptions requiring cutting, or bending, etc., I only had to use wire ties to hold wires out of the way and it all went in very well.  I modified the tip of the throttle cable that was used on the TBI body to adapt it to a carburetor, and that works well.
    I used a Holly fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure to the carburetor while maintaining the use of the fuel return line.  The wiring change over from electronic module (SBEC) to use the '78 ignition system was the most challenging part this whole change over, but sitting down with wiring diagrams from both vehicles, it was pretty straight forward.  The fuel pump runs whenver the ignition is turned on, but that's absolutely fine with me.  I've eliminated a crap load of wiring, vacuum lines, etc., for the TBI system.  My original goal was simply to use the recently, completely rebuilt 360 engine and the NP435 from the '78 to replace the worn out 318 and 727, the carburetor change just "came with it"; I decided not to pursue a 360 TBI system in the infrequently used truck and use what I had on hand as much as possible.  It's gone extremely well.
    Anybody need 318, 727, or TBI parts?  I had some used ones :)
          John

·
Super Moderator
29,601 Posts
Hmmm, how many miles on the 318 and what might you be asking for it?  I don't need anything for mine at the moment, but I might in the future and spares are good to have, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts