Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to see what's the better way to go. I've got a 88 Pickup with the 318 TBI that's going to need a rebuild in the not so near future.

I'm going to use it offroad and some towing, so I'll need the low end grunt, but it will be driven often, so HP is also important.

Then too, the all important factor is cost. I don't mind being without the truck for a while during the rebuild/swap. I've got the 318 now, which is why I'm considering the stroker.

What do I need to consider here? I'd like to keep the fuel injection, but not sure if the TBI I've got will feed either option.

What else do I need to look for/consider? This will also be the first time to build an engine. Might as well learn sometime.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
if cost is a big concern then the 360 swap is definitely more economical. the 318 stroker is a good option and that way you can pick and choose the package to get exactly what you want, but it will not be cheap.

eric

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Figure $3500/4000 with just the crank($375) and pistons($500) and balancing(500) and machining(500), but those 318 heads will kill the breathing the stroker needs so put the 60 heads on it, then figure head work, cam, intake, carb other little things i am not thinking of and there you go, or order the MP stroker

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stroking the 318 will give a lot more power then a stock 360 swap would, and it'll allow you to do a rebuild so it'll be like new. However, stroking and rebuilding an engine is not at all cheap. But a junkyard 360 is pretty cheap, easy, and quick. Or, get a crate engine 360, that'll have as much power as you want, be brand new, and still probably be less then the 318 stroker.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Take a stock late model mag 360 rated at 230-250HP add bigger LIFT RV-ish cam headers, decent dual plane and carb and you'll be at 300HP+ in no time and lowend grunt to spare....CHEAP. Take all that extra $$$ and port the heads a bit.

Not quite the coolness factor of a stroker, but deffinitely effective. I just cant get passed the bore dia of a 318....I suppose if your block could bore .060 or .080 like the magazine article did. What about pistons? Custom all the way or do they sell a 318 stroker kit?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
who cares about the bore. thats a issue dealt with only when working with the larger 2.02/1.60 valves. if staying with 360 type valves its much less of an issue. and dont even think about boring a 318 out to 360 bore of 4". thats a .090 over bore.

yes there are kits out there. about same price as 360 kit. but thing is you have gien up about 15cubic inches for same money. well unless a 360 is ungodly expensive or rare in your area.

a crate engine is not even an option when it comes to cheapness.

what might be an option allthough still quite salty is the $1300 360 short block. throw some magnum heads on top and the magnum dual plane intake with a conservative carb. then throw in cam with between 250º-about 265º duration.

but i know if you shop around you can find a 360 bare block for under $100. then stroke it to your delight.
a 408Magnum would be pretty cool. plus it would allow use of wilder than stock parts just as marty mentioned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah the first Crate power configuration with stock mag heads, with fat rings (not a real big deal but..), and as small as or smaller lift cam than my stock 360 mag! hmmm Sounds like an expensive $3300 rebuilt stock engine without a warranty to me.
I spent my money on a 57k mile junkyard 360 out of a 2001 durango. I looked long and hard at rebuilding my 318mag or building up a new 360 and came to the conclusion that I couldn't get it done for less than $1800-ish. Still way cheaper than a crate but I decided that I would be just as happy paying $800 for a complete running engine with sensors, injectors, distributor and other $50 parts that i needed anyways etc. and building that up....eventually. I figure worst case I have 60k more miles to go. Not to mention the extra parts to sell, ex. manifolds, intake, injectors, TB, 318mag block core and heads. There are plenty of late model truck guys doing quite well with a stock 360 shortblock.

So i guess the moral is how much HP do you want to make and is that number out of reach with the stock shortblocks? If it is there will be a cost penalty for the luxury of a new engine. Pistons are a drawback of the magnum blocks. The top ring is very close to the top of the piston for emissions reasons. Generally not a big deal unless you run into a log of detonation..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
joe swinehart said:
who cares about the bore. thats a issue dealt with only when working with the larger 2.02/1.60 valves. if staying with 360 type valves its much less of an issue. and dont even think about boring a 318 out to 360 bore of 4". thats a .090 over bore.

yes there are kits out there. about same price as 360 kit. but thing is you have gien up about 15cubic inches for same money. well unless a 360 is ungodly expensive or rare in your area.

a crate engine is not even an option when it comes to cheapness.

what might be an option allthough still quite salty is the $1300 360 short block. throw some magnum heads on top and the magnum dual plane intake with a conservative carb. then throw in cam with between 250º-about 265º duration.

but i know if you shop around you can find a 360 bare block for under $100. then stroke it to your delight.
a 408Magnum would be pretty cool. plus it would allow use of wilder than stock parts just as marty mentioned.
I would avoid boring a 318 out to a 4 inch bore as well; unless it ends up being a last alternative. I knew one guy that did a few of those.. The first one he used the 360 pistons in it; the next one he put pistons from a 351M Ford in it; I can't remember all the details but he was doing it to be low buck and working with the parts he already had. Machining was less expensive back then; adn the division he was using the motor in had an engine claim rule.
In the winters we were using the motors in his TD though with great results.
Aaron Wyse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts