Dodge RamCharger Central banner

swap 9 1/4 rear for dana 60

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr. Mindless 
#1 ·
I have a 1983 r/c with the stock 9 1/4 rear end that has the ramcharger clunck. I found a dana 60 at the junk yard in a 84 dodge pick up and want to know if it would be just a bolt up or would I have to do an modifications to put it in.

#3 ·
It is an 8 lug, It will come with the leaf spring still atached. will they bolt up to my hangars?

#6 ·
BrianT said:
assuming it's a 5 lug dana 60 it's drop in
This comes up on rcc and other mopar boards from time to time. I don't think they made anything but full float 60s for the pickup trucks, I've never seen a 5 bolt rear or documentation to support such a thing other than someone saying my buddy saw one under a truck. I have seen semi float 60s for vans but they were 8 lugs.

#8 ·
it is a full floater and 8 lug. i am going to have to buy some new 16" wheels with 8 holes for the rear. Does anyone know if the emergency brake hooks up the same way as the stocker? i also want to change the dana 44 in the front to 8 lug. i have seen conversion kits before but cant remember wher, does anyone know where i can get the kits from?

#9 ·
Vegeta said:
Not to highjack.......but I'm thinking of doing this too.....If you swap out the rear......Do you have to swap out the fron too? of just swap the gears to match?
If the gears match, I guess it doesn't matter, but you'd need 2 spare tires cause a regular D44 is 5 lug and a D60 is 8 lug. A heavy duty D44 (3/4 ton from what I've seen) is 8 lug.

Also, from my personal experience, the D60 wheels I have seen are all 16" and the D44 wheels are 15".

#11 ·
Vegeta said:
Figures!! I'm just gonna get a buddy of mine to swap the gears front and back for me......THANKS!!!
If you have 15" wheels in the front and 16" in the back, there will still be a difference even if the gear ratios match.

#12 ·
I will have to get 16's for the front too. I forgot to mention that. Do you think the spring will be the same length that come with the rear end as my r/c since they come off a truck?

#16 ·
cooper30 said:
If you have 15" wheels in the front and 16" in the back, there will still be a difference even if the gear ratios match.
erm..... only if the rubber wrapped around them doesn't match.

you can find tires for different size rims that are nearly identical circumferences. the old setup on my dakota was 265/70-17s all around with a 32x11.5-15 spare, and according to spec their circumference is all but identical: within 2 revolutions per mile - 611 versus 613, IIRC.

you just need to pay attention to *actual sizes*. I don't even think you'd notice 2 revs per mile even with a spool. I never did use that spare tire.... sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.