Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so some of you probably know my truck situation. I bought it used in really good condition. The one area I am not sure of the condition is the suspension and undercarriage. It throws off tons of noise, especially in tight cornering, braking, and low speeds. I tried some tight, low speed cornering in 4 wheel drive, and I thought the damn thing was gonna fall apart. The truck was lurching and shuddering everywhere.

So, first I want to ask if this is unique to my truck, or pretty much standard. Second, I want to ask about maintenance for that area. I assume there are all sorts of things to be lubricated, zirc fittings, ball joints, etc? Any recommendations as to what to go after first would be greatly appreciated. The ride is really rough, but I dont mind that, because it is to be expected in a light truck designed to carry a lot. But the noise sometimes gets absolutely ridiculous. There's an especially obnoxious knocking noise when Im trying to park it that I think might be associated with the brakes. Most of all, is there a book somewhere on undercarriages and suspensions that anyone could recommend? I havent had much luck locating one online, and would welcome any recommendations.

·
Registered
328 Posts
dont do anymore hard cornering in 4 wheel drive. it's really hard on the drivetrain. if you are more specific on your questions here, youll get tons of answers. lots and lots of knoledge... and welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Did you do the cornering on dry pavement? If so the lurching and shuttering is perfectly normal. Your second question, yes there are lots of places to grease. As far as what parts or recomendations that just depends on what the truck needs. I would recomend getting the brakes looked at if theres noise. You say in another post its got a new trans so I doubt the noise is coming from the trans, unless your trying to put it in park before it stops. As to books on the suspension I dont think there is such a creature. Best set is to get a factory service manuel. (Or a subscription to a good offroad mag they cover suspension in almost every issue) Wyatt

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
tight turns in 4wd will bind the front axle u joints, and will caude the lurching you mention, and can break things up there.

Knocking noise form the brakes ??? I would suspect trans more than brakes for a knocking noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts