Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I picked up a 2.5" Skyjacker full suspension kit.
Everything came in yesterday via FedEx. Minus the front Hydro shocks that appear to have been stolen out of a large hole in the box kit and taped up with a mile of packing tape. Super pist but Skyjacker is taking care of it.

Any way. My questions. So I must be doing something wrong. I started on the rear and cannot for some reason match up the center pin on the leaf to the center axle on one side.
It was hell getting the other side to match up. I ended up using tie downs on the driver side.
Am I doing this all wrong?
I tried to lower the axle as low as I could but started to worry about the brake line?
Any advice on this would help so much.
Thanks guys.

1990 RC 4x4 360 33's

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Measure the spring.  The pin is not centered.  You probably have one flipped end to end.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mount Your Springs in the shackles and spring hangers first then yank that passenger side of the axle forward. Front and back Springs, rear of spring eye turns down ,front of spring eye turns up. Why does it look like your drive shaft is in backwards🤔

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And yeah measure the Springs Center Bolt to front center bolt to back maybe you have a wrong spring. If I remember correctly, Skyjacker the part numbers are stenciled on with paint.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, ok so yeah I quadrupled checked the part number because that is exactly what I thought as well. I had someone overlook that step. I was worried too pull on the axle but if that's how it goes then so be it.
Not too sure about the driveline though. I'll take another shot in the am. I want this done now that I have it.
I'll measure the spring in the morning as well.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. So I got it. The rear anyway. Checked the part numbers again and measured the springs.
I just dropped the axle a little lower than I was comfortable with and bolted up the rear. Then used tie downs to compress the springs enough to rotate and shift the axle on one side and U bolted it up then shifted the axle with the floor jack and a bottleneck jack to get the axle straight.
Should I have dropped the driveline? Not sure if it would've made things easier?
But on to the front.
Will I need to get this thing an alignment after?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Removing the rear drive shaft would have been easier. It looks like it's in backwards anyway. And a bottle jack under the pinion helps with positioning spring perches.
              Alignment more than likely yes, camber and Caster should be checked as well as toe.  If you used an adjustable drag link your steering box should be re-centered also .            Your U-joint angles with your drive shafts should be fine because Skyjacker Springs come with degree shims installed. Bring it to someone who actually knows about steering geometry and knows how to measure things.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If I remember correctly Skyjacker Hydro only go in one way they should say this end up so your shocks are upside down🤔

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Here

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jeffy. Shoot your right. I looked at the pic on the box and it appeared to be the boots down. It was super late and really cold. Lol I had the wife on one ear and the kids on the other.
On my driveline though. I actually don't know? Last time someone touched it was at the transmission shop?
If this is improper than I will swap it asap. Could it have caused any damage driving it like this?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If it's a stock Type rear drive shaft yes it is in backwards. Damage probably not. It's crazy the things we do when we're distracted, right.                                     
                      remember to tighten the u-bolts for the springs real good, 9/16 u-bolts should have came in the kit instead of the stock 1/2 inch. 9/16= 100 ft lb. The way to do it is Bolt your Springs up first to both hangers and shackles torque them. Hang your differentials in there tighten up the u-bolts slightly then put some pressure on the axle, by lowering vehicle to the ground and then torque. Half inch U bolts I think is 80 foot pounds. Any way it should tell you everything in your Skyjacker instructions. I love Skyjacker systems even though I have not put one in in over 17 years.  Do they still come with grade 5 Hardware or have they up the ante to grade 8 like it's supposed to be?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Here

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I agree the driveshaft is upside down from what it would be from the factory.  The only issue with it being upside down is that water can collect in the slip yoke.  Of course the immediate argument is that the front shaft is like that, but it's really the only way it can go.  ;D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Never thought of the water getting in there. And if the hole at the end of the slip yoke was plugged up with grease it could actually freeze .🤔

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright I got it figured out I believe. Just need to torque it all down.
Thanks again guys. I still need to do the front so this thread isn't dead yet.
Now I didn't get the three recommended Pittman arm do you think I'll be ok with the stock one since it is only 2.5"?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes.to drop Pittman arm. Don't think you need a raised steering arm. And the superlift adjustable drag link  which is probably half the price of the Skyjacker, will help you recenter your steering box and steering wheel.
                                            And if I remember correctly the Skyjacker rod ends you cannot buy in the parts store superlift you can. It's all about not throwing off your steering geometry

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Nice to see the kids involved, and now Skyjacker is including grade 8 Hardware in their kits.😎

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on Jeffy I do appreciate the help a lot. First time for me.
I'm a lot more of an electrician than a mechanic but I have to at least try.
You know the truth is to get them going young and they will get hooked. Wish I could've had the experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.