Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a little problem with my RC for the last couple months that I can't for the life of me figure out. Once in awhile, and only when the engine is warm, it will surge a bit and stall. The funny thing is, it only does it when I'm idling at a stoplight, etc. in drive. If I put it in park, it smooths right out, but goes back to surging and sputtering if I shift back to drive until I take off and start driving. The reason I'm having trouble with it is that it doesn't seem to be predictable. Sometimes it will do it, and sometimes it won't, but it's annoying as hell when it does. The engine is a 318, Edelbrock 4-bbl carb.
I'm running a 180 deg. thermostat and the carb sits on top of a 2 inch aluminum spacer, so I'm pretty sure it's not a percolation problem, but I can't rule anything out I guess.
Thanks guys

Dan

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
an intermittin lean condition or fuel starvation

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Don`t know if this helps but, I had an Edelbrock 1406 on my truck and it started doing almost the same thing this past April, I`d come to a stop and it would stall and then be hard to start. At first I thought ign, but after replacing the orange box with one of these setups, http://www.4secondsflat.com/ http://www.4secondsflat.com/a688specs.html it would`nt stall but it`d run rough. Turns out the darn carb body has a small crack in it that only opens/dribbles when the thing gets good and hot. Put the truck on the gas anylizer @ work and it was way rich. I didn`t see any fuel dripping from the boosters so I figured the needles and seats are good, plus it only started doing it when it was thoroughly warmed up, if it was needles `n` seats it`d do it all the time. Long story short I put on a new carb and havent had problems all summer.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kinda thinking the intermittent lean conditon thing too. It doesn't smoke or smell rich when it dies out. Just gotta figure out why.
thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
what yr. is it /?? check plugs and wires for good contact.. or bad wires ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts