Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up my wifes 91 w 150 this am . the engine surges .high revs and down and then up again .then sputters and spits .wants to die and then does it again. Where to start? Update- I drove the truck to work so I could stop at the garage and get them to hook up their scanner and see if they find the problem,but by the time I left work they were closed .so I drove home , shut the truck off. after about 20 minutes I started it and it purred like a kitten and has ran fine since. Maybe after the battery is diconnected it takes a while for the various sensors to adjust??????????????????? Thanks to all for the tips

G

·
Man where to start. Start with the sensors on the injector system. Considering the age, it'd be a good idea to replace all the sensors. Remember to disconnect the batter to reset the computer so it'll "see" the new parts.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gen1dak .come to think of it I had the battery disconnected yesterdday , may be the sensors couldn't re-set? I'll look through the Haynes manual and try and find where they are and go from there, Mike

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I've heard that some computers have a short re-learning and adjustment curve to go through after they loose power. Mabey a little run time or some on-off cycles and it will stabalize. Can't say for sure though.

·
7,995 Posts
Check for error codes. Fuel have any water in it or plugged fuel filter? Coolant temp sensor?

Idle Speed Control Motor
Description and Operation

The Idle Speed Control (ISC) actuator is controlled by the engine controller, and mounted to the side of the throttle body. The throttle lever, when the engine is at idle, rests against an adjustment screw at the end of the actuators plunger. The ISC motor is used to set throttle stop angle during deceleration, and it controls the engine idle speed by extending or retracting its plunger.

The engine controller receives input signals from certain sensors and switches indicating certain conditions. The engine controller applies the ground and the power to the ISC motor to adjust the actuator position for certain driving conditions. The ISC motor also contains the idle contact switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts