Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago, part of the release hinge on my sunroof broke. I went to the local dealer and they said they could get the part after showing them the remnants of the old piece. Well, the part came in and it is totally different then what I need. So after talking with the parts guy for 40 minutes we concluded that the part is discontinued. It also seems that for one reason or another, the sunroof in my RC is the old style (i.e. used in late '70's RC's). According to the parts catalog I have (factory parts list I got from ebay), the "Catch, Retainer" which is what broke is part number 2561462, and the " Bayonet Package" which is the handle attached to the sunroof use to pop it open is part number 4267891. What broke is the pin on the bracket that attaches to the frame around the window. This pin is what the sunroof handle attaches to. Anyone out there know where I can get a new retainer or a company that makes compatible pieces for this set up. I am sick of getting wet everytime it rains or snows. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
You could try the Junkyard...

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chump said:
Just a quick question...are you saying you have a 78-81 sunroof in your 90RC? The 90 uses a sunroof that was supplied on RC's from about 82-93.
OK, my bad. The guy at the dealer concluded that I must have an old style sunroof, which made no sense considering my parts list does not specify that the style I have is actually a "old" style. The guy concluded that based on the parts computer he was using. The whole thing is screwy, if I can't find a replacement part, I am going to try a couple of u-pull it's that I know of and if that doesn't work I am just going to fab up a piece of tube to put in the retainer.

·
7,995 Posts
I looked up part number 2561462 and I don't see it listed anywhere in the NOS parts places that I checked. It could be that Chrysler is now including that catch in the Handle Pkg. # 4212972...I don't know for sure. The later year parts books (82-93) only list the Handle Pkg. Some suggestions:
Try www.car-part.com or www.junkyarddog.com for a used sunroof.
Ford or Chevy may have used the same roof in their vehicles?
Might find some info here that may be of use?www.sunroofs.com
Go down to a local glass shop that installs sunroofs.
Order a complete new sunroof package either aftermarket or [Mopar #4211633 ($144 online)].
Have the latch you have now repaired at a machine shop or a local vo-tech school classroom.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank you guys for all your help. I just found out that the sunroof is in fact an aftermarket piece. It did not come from the factory. I managed to fix the retainer pin so that the window seals. I also found a replacement handle and pin so I can get a new one if it fails again. I am such a yutz, I should have guessed when I had so much trouble originally that it was not a factory installed sunroof. The problem was the aftermarket sunroof is identical to those installed on late '70's RC's from the factory. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.