Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been running these headers for about 9 months now, I got them, and just bolted them on.

I have recently found out, that the front and rear tubes at the flange are NOT the same size as the exhaust ports in the heads.

The head ports are shaped kinda like a square with one corner lopped off. The headers are shaped like a rectangle. This means the header tube has about 1/6 less flow area than the head.

The head ports are 1.25" by 1.75". The tubes in the headers are roughly 1.07" by 1.70". This means you will kill your exhaust flow rate, and if you ever have to change gaskets, you will have a hard time finding one that will seal.

I have tried Mr. Gasket and FelPro, and both of them leave only 1/16" of gasket to seal the header seal weld to the head. That is not enough.

The only way I see, is to get FelPro gaskets for a 2bbl head, and cut the hole larger, which is a pain in the ass.

I am waiting for Summit to get back to me about this issue.

I have a set of Edelbrock heads that have been ported some, and they flow almost 200 cfm thru the exhaust at 1/2" lift, but with that flow hitting a 1/4" step smaller when it hits the headers, it's gonna knock it down a ton (like to less than 160 cfm). Not good for performance.

Just a word of warning.......especially if you are looking for gaskets that will seal good.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
The Best Gasket that I have found are made by a compnay called Flatout Gaskets. I know Summit Carries them. I'm not sure who else does. The gastets are actually for drag racers but they have a lot of vehicle applications. They do make the exhaust gaskets for mopar vehicles but at this current time not much more.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem isn't gaskets for mopars..it's that the headers are too small..so they don't fit the heads or the gaskets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Summit headers blow!!! i have ordered 3 pairs. Summit, Flowtech, and Hooker. All three rub my frame on the drivers side. I finally found the Patriot Tight Tuck headers and they solved all the problems.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got tons of room there.....sure yer engine isn't shifted over ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
no, dont know about that... But the passenger side of motor had barely enough room. and the driver side was pointless. to try. Dont know, maybe i have bigger motor than i was told?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe, but it should still be centered on the frame rails. I'd bet someone has the mounts wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ya, never thought of that. they look normal to me. but who knows. its all good though, i have the patriot headers on it now w/ plenty of room to spare.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a set of Summit headers on my truck now for 4 years. No leaks and there is plenty of room on both sides. But I have to pull the starter and header at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts