Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Summit branded 600 CFM Vac secondary carb onto my 360 to replace the hard to tune Q-jet.  In short, amazingly easy and runs great out of the box.  Summit advertises it as simple to install and ready to go out of the box - they lived up to it. Took me 45 minutes to install including modding the throttle cable to work with the studs that come in the accessory pack.  Price was right too at $282 shipped to the front door by regular ground.  Arrived in 2 days. 

Hoping that the new carb will improve my mileage a little now that driveability has improved.  Did I mention that it's idling smooth at 650 rpm.

For those that might remember, this "new" Summit carb is the new design that Holley introduced about 5 or 6 years ago.  It really didn't sell well, never caught on by Holley purists, and Summit bought the rights to the design.  Jets, vacuum secondary spring, power valve, and center hung floats are Holley.

Thinking about ordering a 750 vac secondary to put on the shelf for a rainy day before prices go up.  Will provide an update in a few weeks.

Semper fi,
Ty

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cool, I've been curious about the Summit carbs for a while now.  I'm currently still fighting with my stock 2bbl and if I can ever get the extra cash to go 4bbl its nice to know that the Summit carb is an option.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm glad you posted this, as I was not aware that Summit was having those carbs remade. I liked those then, and they seem to be priced right now. I wonder where they are made. Those carburetors were introduced closer to 20 years ago, rather than 5 or 6, but time flies when you are having fun.

Kind of a funny story:
Some years ago my buddy came up with an idea for a particular product (battery box). He drew up designs, made CNC files, had a prototype made and then a handful of production models. He sourced all the needed hardware, vent hose, grommets, box, etc. He sets up a meeting with the Summit people, they tell him they are not interested.
Next thing you know, they are selling the EXACT same product in their catalog. Apparently, they liked the idea but found someone to make it cheaper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Major Ramifications said:
I'm glad you posted this, as I was not aware that Summit was having those carbs remade. I liked those then, and they seem to be priced right now. I wonder where they are made. Those carburetors were introduced closer to 20 years ago, rather than 5 or 6, but time flies when you are having fun.
Wow, has it really been that long? Seems like yesterday. I remember looking at them in the catalog and wondering how they'd work.

One week in use and so far I'm happy with it. Starts, idles and runs well. I do need to fine tune it a little and will probably swap in a pair of slightly leaner primary jets this weekend. Should be easy though - remove the top cover screws, pop the choke linkage, and remove the top cover to gain access to the jets.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
if you swap in those jets can you report what size they are?  im interested in one of these carbs myself

thanks man!

matt

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Major Ramifications said:
Kind of a funny story:
Some years ago my buddy came up with an idea for a particular product (battery box). He drew up designs, made CNC files, had a prototype made and then a handful of production models. He sourced all the needed hardware, vent hose, grommets, box, etc. He sets up a meeting with the Summit people, they tell him they are not interested.
Next thing you know, they are selling the EXACT same product in their catalog. Apparently, they liked the idea but found someone to make it cheaper.
I had a similar experiance with some designs for a TV Box/Tuner with a Hard Drive & Memory for storing shows that my dad and i drew up years ago, then it got submitted to a patent company. They told us it wasn't worth pursuing, and about a year later "tivo" showed up :-\ Coincidence?

·
29,524 Posts
ChrisKD said:
I had a similar experiance with some designs for a TV Box/Tuner with a Hard Drive & Memory for storing shows that my dad and i drew up years ago, then it got submitted to a patent company. They told us it wasn't worth pursuing, and about a year later "tivo" showed up :-\ Coincidence?
Just how old were you when you "drew up these plans" with your dad?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
KThaxton said:
Just how old were you when you "drew up these plans" with your dad?
I was young, it would have been in the 90's. '96 or '97 i beleive.

I told my dad about the idea and he thought it was pretty cool, so we drew up some crude designs, and were in the process of trying to assemble a prototype (which never did get finished, it was mostly for appearences, to show what it might look like) I think i still have the papers/"blueprints" in a folder somewhere in box that's buried upstairs, along with other ideas that we never submitted (and are just now showing up as existing devices)

·
29,524 Posts
ChrisKD said:
I was young, it would have been in the 90's. '96 or '97 i beleive.
Hybrid 1ton said:
21 yrs old - TiVo (1999 release) = 10
Ahh, so you were 7 or 8. Interesting.

I told my dad about the idea and he thought it was pretty cool, so we drew up some crude designs, and were in the process of trying to assemble a prototype (which never did get finished, it was mostly for appearences, to show what it might look like)
You submitted a blueprint for a box? ;D

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
KThaxton said:
Ahh, so you were 7 or 8. Interesting.

You submitted a blueprint for a box? ;D
An unfinished box :p My descriptive skills leave something to be desired. I'll see if i can find the folder with those papers. It had the drawings in it, a page describing the device and how it was unique (my mother wrote that for us), and so forth. I even think the rejection letter saying the device wasn't worth pursuing is in that folder.

The actual "box" got destroyed. My dad and i took turns beating it with a hammer when Tivo came out. And i threw the folder in the trash, but somehow it made it's way from the trashcan back into the house and onto my bookshelf. Then the contents of my bookshelf got boxed up when i found a better use for it (who'da thunk you could use a bookshelf to hold movies and games :p )

Given time and a positive response, we probably could have turned that prototype into a somewhat functioning prototype with a little help.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sort of a high jack, but does anyone here have any expereience with the Summit, Quadrajets?

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
dooooooooooode u didnt inform urself well enough if u did toss the q jet tosss it my way [email protected]!! i am just the opposite and dont much care for a holley cept on a race application really ...q jet way better off road i think ...i had a holley off road and once it got past 30 degree's of incline it would dump the bowls and be useless granted this is before i figured out to run a vent tube lol ... soo...glad ur happy with the new carb hopefully wont do that lol ...i just am old school like the q jet while everybody else hates them ...i will certainly keep my q jet when i sell my rig and put one of those summit carbs on it when i sell it  ;D  what i was saying is did u happen to read anything by cliff ruggles ?  granted he is more of a pontiac guy but he is the master when it comes to q jets and his book is well worth owning ...he makes the q jet pretty simple to understand really ..

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
oh and jake look up mountain man carbs on e bay this guy can build u a nice q jet for under 250 i think i paid and he can make it a heavy duty or normal duty ..like u got a big cam and headers and what not ...anyhow great guy to deal with and u will be happy with his work ...he is about as good as cliff ruggles but whole lot cheaper ...

·
Registered
101 Posts
BrianT said:
oh and jake look up mountain man carbs on e bay this guy can build u a nice q jet for under 250 i think i paid and he can make it a heavy duty or normal duty ..like u got a big cam and headers and what not ...anyhow great guy to deal with and u will be happy with his work ...he is about as good as cliff ruggles but whole lot cheaper ...
cool' thanks. I am a "hillbilly fuel injection" fan too....a well set up Q Jet is killer off road...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts