Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make either the hood i know it would be alot easier to do the hood than the front clip so thats what im planning to do. ill just run two parallel arms along the underside of the hood and they go like a T into a cross bar that has the pivot points on them and i can prolly use the stock latch but on a braket at the cowl. whatcha'll think?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
My opinion, don't do it. Having the hood tilt foward will make servicing the engine that much harder because you'll have to do everything from the sides. A full tilting clip is better because much of the front ends swings down and to the front, but still it's not as easy as a regular hood.

For something different, how about a piano hinge down the center of the hood so that each half can be lifted like the old 50s Dodge trucks.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
As a former car mechanic, I didn't much care for the hoods the flipped foward. GM did this on some Oldsmobiles in the late 80's early 90's. GM did make everything easy to reach from the sides and being a tranverse engine helped. On the traditional engine mounting for rear wheel driven vehicles it would really be a pain to adjust belts or change them or check fluids.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Like they said above it would be a pain to work on, but if you're game doing it I say do it. It would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The international scouts had the forward flipped hoods and I had 3 of them. Look unusual, and wont pop up on the highway like a chevy and wrap over the cab...but...real tough on the ribs working on anything. Clearance around the front 1/3 is ok if your a 10 year old little Asian girl, with real long arms and a kung foo grip.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i dont want the lines associated with a spilt hood. on a full tilt i would be showing off my ugly frame. and with the suicide hood the fenders arent in the way too much cuz 1. its a 2wd, and 2. its gonna be lowered. and i could still reach the radiator cap and all that stuff being that i usually work from the sides anyways.

·
Registered
891 Posts
usbody.com has firberglass swing foward front clips I think. But if your just gonna do the suicide hood, just make sure its pretty easy to unbolt the hood from the hinge for when you have to work on it. It also has to be easy to rebolt it, because the way hoods are stock its kinda tough.

·
Registered
818 Posts
that would be pretty sweet, definately different. I see many people are saying it would be a pain to work on your truck with a suicide hood, so make some quick hinges for it in the front to where you pull 2 pins and your hood comes off. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Personally, I would prefer a front clip that tilts.

But, if you want a suicide hood, I'd use a lift off fiberglass hood, but mount the front pins on a pin themselves, so they can rotate. Then get some hood prop rods like on the small cars, and mount one on each side of the rear of the hood, so you can 'suicide' lift it for show and such, but when you want to work on it, you can just lift it off.

It would also shed some weight from the front end.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
just take the hood off.more air to the motor it would help in the cooling AND make it easyer to work on... just put a tarp over it or something on rainy days.

j/k

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well a major part of it is the price, the glass front end is like $1200. im poor. making some brackets i can afford. and i might do it out of a fiberglass hood AFTER i make it work on a standard hood, that way i can have the brackets and just glass them to the bottom. later dudes...

·
Registered
769 Posts
I once had an idea for a cool hood. It probably would be a pain on a lowered truck though. IF you could some how attach actuaters to each corner, so that it raised straight up, that would definetly be different. Might be pretty cool. The only problem I could think of is the fact that actualers that would lift it high enough to work on would probably be pretty expensive.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dont listen to all this jive. you could always employ qwik release pins to remove the hood from the front hinges if it was truely that important (removing the engine or camshaft or something)

take a look at a few different european cars. maybe even get the hige mechanism.

on our jag, it just tilts forward.

on my buddies 85 325i it pos up and then tilts forward.

both systems use gas strut

the bmw hinge looks VERY simple. it is a long rod or pin that is fixed to the hood. it rotates inside of a steel tube attched to front of car.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well ill check out them bmws next time im at the scrap yard, maybe i could just swap systems.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
joe swinehart said:
the bmw hinge looks VERY simple. it is a long rod or pin that is fixed to the hood. it rotates inside of a steel tube attched to front of car.
That is exactly what I was saying, but to also have hood pins so you can take it all the way off if needed.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well ive seen this done in a few truck mags. they usually have pins in the back and the hinge in the front. ill have the front setup have some sort of way of bolting on somewhere to take it off easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts