Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Suggestions?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  grntrk 
#1 ·
Just got done with the carb rebuild today (yeah, I know, rebuilding a Carter BBD is like polishing a turd), and it ran like a champ after getting things back together/on/adjusted.

However, I took the valve covers off after I got the carb back on (was going to replace the leaking gaskets), and couldn't believe what I saw.

There is grime, crud, and sh*t real bad in there! Hell, I had the valve covers off my 174,000+ mile Caravan last month, and it looked as clean as a whistle! Could it be that my Caravan is a daily driver, and the pickup only sees action every once in a while that would cause it to gunk-up so bad?

Short of taking the heads off (I really don't want to go that far), how should I best clean this mess out?

Got to give that little 318 credit...I wouldn't run worth a damn if I looked that bad inside!

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
The gunk is probably a multitue of things. Infrequent oil changes, excessive blow by, PCV plugged, oil additives, too many short trips are some of the reasons. As far as cleaning it out without removing the heads..... you run the risk of disturbing chunks of it that will get down into the crankcase. Using anything to flush it out... personnaly makes me nervous. I would leave it alone or remove the heads, but maybe someone else out there has a better idea. Good luck.

#4 ·
i had that same thing with a 73 valiant. when i cleaned out the car i found all the oil receipts were for pennzoil. the old formula. that crap builds up sludge and slime all day long. what i would do is scoop out what you can then what i have done is run a quart ot tranny fluid through for about 5 min or so and then change the oil. that will help with getting that crap broken down and out of the system.

#5 ·
K.C and Combatphil, yes I hear you about that gunk getting into the crankcase and all. If this was a prize ride of mine, I
know I would take the heads off. However, I think I'll that do what the Moparpw200 said...that was my original thought. If it screws up the engine, I'll have an easier time convincing the old lady that I need another engine for my Dodge...she just keeps telling me to fix what I've got! LOL

Thanks guys!

#7 ·
i would reccomend seafoam or marvel mystery oil, run it in the crank case for a while, then drain and change oil.

i have also used aobut a cup of diesel in the crank case, put it in run engine for aobut 15 minutes then change oil.

eric

#8 ·
I have done the diesel fuel in engines before. Works well-but the only problem I had was once I cleaned the engine that is when I started noticing the knocks and rattles-I should have left the gunk in there-Of course this was a furd!

#9 ·
Sea Foam. It works.

What kind of oil do you run in it? Penzoil? Quaker State?

I would just wipe as much crap off the heads as I could with a rag, Sea Foam it, and switch to Valvoline (dino oil) or Mobile 1 (synthetic). The Sea Foam should take care of most of it, Mobile 1 would do a better job getting the last remnants out. Valvoline will not clean the remnants as well, but will not leave more sludge.

-SM

#10 ·
More thanks to, Intenseimages, Ramit87, and Slanted_Mind.

I don't know what oil was used in it for the first 10 years, as I got it used in 1989. However, I do not use Pennzoil or Quaker State. Depending what is on sale at Wally-world, I have been running Texaco Havoline Supreme or Mobil oil (non-synthetic) 10W-40. I run those same brand oils in my Dodge Caravan (5W-30) for the past 7 years and to say again, everything under its valve covers looks great after 174,000+ miles.

I really do think all the gunk build-up is due to the fact that I only run it about once a month (more in OCT and NOV as I hunt deer and elk).

#11 ·
wish i could convince my old man not to penzcrap but he won't listen to me all though penzoil is ok if you are religious with chaning the oil ever 2,500 miles hel on;y leaves oio in the boat for 50 hours when u can run it for 70 - 90 hours .... the penzoil comes out looking ok though when he changeds it a few days ago ..... Anyhow I am sorta of a Castrol fan myself it seems to keep it's viscoity quite well (doesn't break down ) nearly as fast as Valvoline it seems ... the Valvoline looked ok whe i changed the oil few weeks ago thoguh ...

I would run some Sea Foam through the engine .... if you are getting major black smoke at start u ptiome for new valve seals or find a nother set of heads and rebuild them ..then swap heads out might be easier on the down time

#12 ·
I am late to this question but I was wondering what did this gunk look like? Mopars often get a gray goo in them if the crankcase vent that draws air from the air cleaner gets stopped up. If the crud was gray I would replace the vent cap and change the oil and filter.If some of this stuff is hardened it could be because the truck sits long enough for the moisture to dry out before the next trip.Worth checking and cheap to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.