Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have (4) 255-60-15s right now, but the tires are going pretty bald front and back. the tires are good sport tires, but they were bought in may '99. i figure i have a few months left on them, if i behave. way less if i dont. im having alot of trouble finding a job around here so i cant afford to put on some 18s on 40 series like i want. so i will have to just save and get some new tires for 15s. i want something that will handle good in the corners, i need strong shoulders (these are like gone.) and also good grip off the lights, these are good but getting worse. maybe the bf goodwrinch (spelling) comp t/a drag radials, but i dunno about them in corners. any help is great.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How where the other tires you have on there? If they were good to you and have lasted that long then replace them with the same one. Go to a tire store in your area and check them out. Some tire stores have thousands of tires you can look at and then buy.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I use Cooper Cobra's...currently 295/50/15 rear, 245/60/15 front. Excellent traction...but it is a performance tire so the rubber is quite soft. I wear the shoulders of the front tires out too ;D I used to have the 295's on the front as well, but burned the shoulders up, and replaced them with the 245's. They seem to be wearing better; less scrubbing and feathering, though the shoulders still wear faster than the rest of the tire.

Don't know if that helped or not... :-\

-SM

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
sems like there was some Michelins I heard lots of good things about, but I can't remember the model name.
Tire Rack I think is the site I had looked at when shopping for tires last time. They had a lot to choose from and some good descriptions of the handling characterisitcs, and prices for comparison.

How long do you expect until you can get the ones you really want? If it's not too far off, you may consider a cheaper set to get you by short term. But if it's going to be quite a while, might be better off getting a set that will keep you happy instead of just trashing cheapos too quick and having to buy another set of what you don't want..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
michelins are expencive but good, BFGs are expencive but good as well.. but hte cooper cobras are inexpencive but good. ihave had all 3 and i liked every one.... i ran a set of coopers on my old 79 yota in 205\60\14s H rating and loved em... that little truck handled like it was on rails. i got 235\75\15 BFG all terrains on my jeep and i have run michelin pilots and MXV4s on my old mercedes.... even worn the michies were killer...

·
3,940 Posts
looking for that size is getting harder and harder. i would say BFG radial t/a's. i have had great experience w/these. got 105K out of a set. decent in snow. like to hydroplane a little in rain, and dry traction is great. sidewalls may not be upto your standards.
genereal XP2000's are ok, they have a hard tread for my liking.
firestone, i haven't heard of anything on the new kinds. hated the firehawk line.

i highly recommend the BFG's.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i have the 255s now and have for about 6 months. before that they were on an 85 dodge van. it didnt see many miles over the years and i drive my rc like a damn slot car. they are like gone. i think my rims are 15x7, maybe 8" can prolly fit about a 265, maybe 275...but its going to need to fit into the wheel wells, cuz im gonna drop it soon. and the fronts, i could go as narrow as 245, but i like pretty wide traction tires up front. i most likely wont be able to (or honestly want to) get 18s til i can see how much this and that i need to tuck them. and that would prolly run about $1200 atleast and i wont see that much anytime soon. and i would cant just get another set of the ones i want because they arent made anymore...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts