Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went offroading this weekend and sucked in a lttle water through the intake. Nothing major, but the truck will not start now. I pulled the plugs and checked everything out and there was harldly any water in there. Two of the cylinders were a little damp but the other looked good. Checked the dipstick on the oil and there is none in there so I was wondering how long i should wait for it to dry. All the iginition system works fine I have tested that and i have spark. What do you guys think. I may have to wait a couple of days before i start it?? not sure though

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i would get an assistant, and have them turn the truck over while spraying a little carb cleaner into the carb, may be jsut enough moisture in there that the fuel is mixing wit hand making it hard to start.

from what you describe i dont think anything is hurt.

try this and let us know how it works

eric

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I would also change the oil no matter what.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Well, now that I think about it, I had a friend that did this in his old box bronco. He drained all the oil out left the pan plug out then pulled all the spark plugs out and crafted a funnel type attachment to put on the wife’s hair dryer then went to each hole a blasted it for a few minutes then went and did it up the drain hole (sounds kinky I know) :eek:. Then he let it sit for a few hours then put it all back together and put fresh oil and of course some Prolong. No problems. :)

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
DO NOT WAIT FOR IT TO DRY OUT!! Pull the plugs now and crank the engine over and like it push the water out. If you let it sit the rings will rust solid to the cylinder walls and you will be pulling the engine. I hydrolocked an engine much worse then you. I knew i had to pull the engine but not even a week later the engine was locked up tight. So go get to cranking. Do anything you can to dry the cylinders out. Might try some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders or pouring down the carb while cranking with plugs out to lubricate the cylinder walls again.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I did this once, but sucked enough water in to kill the engine and lock it up so much the starter would not turn it over. This happened when driving thru a big puddle at an intersection (open element air filter) a little too fast.

I agree..DO NOT WAIT !!! Go pull all the plugs, remove the air filter & housing, and crank it over until no water or mist comes from the cylinders. Then clean the plugs or replace, and put them in. Dry out the air cleaner housing, and put in a NEW air filter, and then start it up. You can dribble some trans fluid in the carb once it is running to help clean it out (moisture & carbon). Then change the oil & filter out, no matter what.

I did all of this on mine sitting on the side of the road (except the oil change part), and she fired right up after I got a clean dry air filter.

The longer you wait, the better your chances are of having to rebuild it !!! or of having some major ring problems.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
...and when you are all done with that, start building a snorkel for the next time!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I've had engines suck in some water. One engine I had bent the rods.

If you ever suspect that you sucked in water, pull out the spark plugs, disconnect the coil and crank the engine until nothing blows out. Put everything back together, if the engine cranks but doesn't start, it's likely you have water in the distributor as well, and you'll need to dry it out.

Once the engine cranks, be easy on it. You need to listen to any unusual noises. Rod knock, or very bad sounds indicate that you bent a rod or holed a piston. Once it starts, and it sounds ok, you ain't out of trouble yet. Run it for a short time and shut it off again. Check your oil and the radiator. If you have water in the crank case or oil in the rad, it may indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head.

If everything is fine thank your maker and don't do it again, you may not be as lucky next time.

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks for all the replys guys, I have pulled the all the plugs already and rolled it over and nothing came out the cylinders, so it was fairly dry, just a little damp. Hopefully this friday I will have a chance to work on it and get it going. Its been sitting for a week now and everything is hopefully dry. I will go pull the plugs again and check everything out to make sure i have no rust issues and hopefully with a little luck she will start up. I got spark at the plugs and I got gas going in so hopefully it was just a little damp before and now that its dried up she will go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts